94 Viper Jerky when throttle released and jerky when I get back on the throttle?

twilightcall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased my 94 Viper RT/10. I am very happy with the car. This is my first Viper and it is very fun to drive.

I wanted to know if this is normal or not. If I am driving along say at 30 mph at 2000 rpm and I let off of the gas the car will **** a little and if I get back on the throttle it will **** again. Is this common?

I synched the throttles and it still does it. Any info would be appreciated.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the driver side throttle body opens first.
Thats where your sensor is, the other side in "blind"

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a bucking problem for some time and then i got a lean condition code. (P0171) been trying to get it figured out with no luck.

OP
OP
T

twilightcall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I synched them via Chuck Tators instructions. Pull back on the cable housing and push in the silver d shaped button. Push the throttle to the floor inside the car, listen for the click and they are synched. That is how he instructed me to do it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the gas mashed solves this low rpm problem? :dunno:

Drive it like a Viper? :drive:

Seriously though, I wonder if it's a weak or worn sensor, like the TPS or MAP. Not enough to throw a code, but not 100%.

How about gas quality... Using 93 octane big box brand stuff?

Also try a PCM reset. That one if free.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I THINK you are describing "play" in the drive-train...which, at least to me, has always been noticeable in Vipers. That said, put it on a lift and check things out...especially as the car is new to you. while you are there, you can start changing all of the fluids.

ENJOY your new ride!!

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mine throws a lean condition code and I have killed 2 plugs in teh past (first time I noticed it was at VIR and then I pulled the plugs and found two of them were missing teh L shaped piece).

mine just has a light miss. Strange thing is that when you first start the car up you can forget driving it as it will buck wildly. So when I start it up I let it warm up completely, in the process it coats the ground behind it with black sutt. It is not oil as you can wipe it up immediately. Coolant is fine and everything else looks good.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mine throws a lean condition code and I have killed 2 plugs in teh past (first time I noticed it was at VIR and then I pulled the plugs and found two of them were missing teh L shaped piece).

mine just has a light miss. Strange thing is that when you first start the car up you can forget driving it as it will buck wildly. So when I start it up I let it warm up completely, in the process it coats the ground behind it with black sutt. It is not oil as you can wipe it up immediately. Coolant is fine and everything else looks good.

The junk on the ground at startup is exhaust soot mixed with moisture.

Covers the entire rear of my car. :curse:

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine got a lot better once i synced it, it still does it sometimes, but usually only when im light on the throttle, when it starts to i just shift into second. i think its just the temperment of the 94, i guess im just used to it now and can feel it before it really starts to do it.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My viper has always been like that, its just a beast and it likes gas.

When it stars "bucking" i just say shhhh ill give you gas in a minute!!

it is a very big pain in the ass thou, having to alwyas push the clutch in and out at low speeds to get it from jerking your passanger around like a circus ride.

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check your battery.........

brand new:
plugs
battery
plug wires

It obviously has something going on because it has killed 2 plugs and you can hear detonation at some times when up top of the RPM's. I had to have Sean Roe make a car with more W/M in it. ( I have the ROE on my car and it is a 97 GTS )

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had a major bucking problem and thanks to the guys here we solved it.I replaced about every sensor and nothing helped.So with the car idling I just wiggled the connection at map and then at tps and sure enough it was a loose connection at tps.
Its worth a shot and only takes a minute.
Goodluck

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, that does explain a few problems I am having because I have tried different sensors.

mine is the worst when it is not up to temperature. You cannot drive it until it gets warm due to the bucking being so bad.

I bet this would also explain my horrid gas mileage too. I am averaging about 200-240 miles per tank.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, that does explain a few problems I am having because I have tried different sensors.

mine is the worst when it is not up to temperature. You cannot drive it until it gets warm due to the bucking being so bad.

I bet this would also explain my horrid gas mileage too. I am averaging about 200-240 miles per tank.

Are you actually checking to see what mpg you're getting? Just because your gauge says empty, its a good chance it isn't. Some (if not most) Viper gas gauges are FAR from even being descent.

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a major bucking problem and thanks to the guys here we solved it.I replaced about every sensor and nothing helped.So with the car idling I just wiggled the connection at map and then at tps and sure enough it was a loose connection at tps.
Its worth a shot and only takes a minute.
Goodluck

Where/what is the "connection at map and connection at tps?":confused:

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot guys, when I bought the car I drove it 400 miles, 21mpg's (all 4 lane of course) on one tank of gas. That is what I am relating it too. Of course I really dont drive it on the highway now. And I am sure the ROE doesnt help much :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where/what is the "connection at map and connection at tps?":confused:

MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

I'm Gen 2, so dunno about Gen 1.

TPS should still be on the TB (Throttle Body) shaft end.

MAP sensor should be on the intake manifold somewhere. Small black square thing with wires to it. Same with TPS. Has wires to it.

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just what Dave said.
The MAP is on the back of the intake drivers side.
Just grab them and wiggle where the wires plug in.(while car is idling}Everything should be nice and snug.
My problem was a loose TPS connection,never threw a code and never showed up on any diagnostic.Idled like a champ and drove like a wild bull
Kevin

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960