96/97 Blue/White vs 2002 Vipers

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's look at a decent comparision and think about the future for a moment.......

1970: AAR 'Cuda production of 2724 cars total with a sticker price of $3966.00.
Today's market value 33 years later is $40k for a nice one restored, mileage not super important, but should be under 80,000. Quality of car is what determines it's value today.

1996: First year of the GTS, total production of 1162 cars built (blue/white).
1997: Second year of GTS, total production of Blue/Whites 965 cars built, and 706 red ones too. Total '97 = 1671

Again, I wouldn't recommend purchasing one for investment purposes only, but if you are one to look at the numbers, the '96 is the way to go. It was the ONLY year that the Blue/White was offered by itself, and it's the 1st year of the GTS, period.

Prices started to go up dramatically for the '70's muscle about 15 years after their run was over. I would guess that in 15 years from now, the GTS's will be a hot commodity no matter what year they are, but the early ones will be in greater demand. Remember, every week there's less cars out there due to accidents, and whatever.

My guess is that no matter what year GTS it is, in the years to come a Clean Title will be the One thing to set these cars apart from one another, as will condition. There's alot of crap out there in the market right now, and the prices WILL eventually go up. The only thing nobody knows, is when.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JH23JOB, I agree with you about cars in general being a POOR investment. $3966.00 invested in Stocks, bond, or real estate in 1970 would have all yielded much higher returns than an AAR Cuda. (Just a little insight in to 1970, my parents bought a house that year for $14,500 and today it's worth over $170,000.00 and rents for $1,275.00 a month / $15,300 a year).

Furthermore, GTS 1st year means NOTHING! Let me explain...
1970 Cuda, FIRST YEAR for the E body style, but yet not the most sought after E body. Everyone into cuda knows that a comparable 1971 (2nd year) cuda will bring a higher dollar. There were less of them and basically same engines. The 1972, 73, and 74's do not bring as much because they did not offer a big engine. No Hemi's were offered in any Cuda other than 1970 and 1971.

If 1st year matters so much, why hasn't the prices on the 1st year RT's gone up after 12 years?

A 1971 Hemi or 440 Cuda convertible will bring a 6 figure dollar and some might reach a million. But the reason is there were only a combined 52 built (most of that 52 were 440's). My point being, if you really think the blue and white color is making the cars worth so much more wouldn't be safe to think that the 53 1997 blue and white RT will be the best investment?

And as for the AAR, the viper that compares well to it is the ACR. Exactly 5.61% of all cudas proudly wear the AAR badge and approx. 5.73% of all vipers sport the ACR package.

As for investment vipers, here is how it will shake down. The one of kind cars and Viper Club raffle cars will be the most sought after with the 1998 GT2's very close behind. The 1997 Blue and white RT's will be next and any viper in mint stock condition would be after that. Color will play some factor, but STOCK and condition will be more important. If you buy a viper today and do not drive in hopes that it will be worth something, you are making a bad investment.

Buy what ever color and year you can afford and like, drive the crap out of it, and enjoy it. Almost all of these cars will be restored one day. Hell, it will give you something to do when you retire!

What every you decide, just buy a viper! It will be the most enjoyable car you will ever own.

And if this horse moves one more time, I'm gunna come back in here kick it harder! j/k :)
Cody

Let's look at a decent comparision and think about the future for a moment.......

1970: AAR 'Cuda production of 2724 cars total with a sticker price of $3966.00.
Today's market value 33 years later is $40k for a nice one restored, mileage not super important, but should be under 80,000. Quality of car is what determines it's value today.

1996: First year of the GTS, total production of 1162 cars built (blue/white).
1997: Second year of GTS, total production of Blue/Whites 965 cars built, and 706 red ones too. Total '97 = 1671

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did that on purpose! I didn't want that info getting out. DANG, now everyone will want one. See what you've done now.

Cody, with your list of later improvements, you forgot to mention probably the most important change of all,

The new Delphi key fob! :D

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlueGTS

To answer your question, the car was started bare like every other car and the parts then painted in the same manner as normal before assembly. I have pictures of the car as it moved down the assembly line - very cool. The color is identical to the 96/97s

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue White owners come out of the woodwork, I love it!!!

We are a tough crowd:

No babies allowed in the passenger seat, eliminating the chance of wiping up baby puke off the leather.

When we set up our side mirrors in the spring for the year we do it manually, nuts.

You have to shut the car off and go out and manually open the rear glass when retrieving items, the nerve!

The overlap on our cams is so heavy the shifter jumps around in neutral, barbaric!

Our pistons can handle power adders much more reliably, and respond to mods with a higher power increase, unfair!

and to top it off our cars on average dyno 10-15 horse higher than newer cars, absurd!

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine lopes so bad the only way I can get all 4 tires to touch the ground at the same time is to shut it off. It's insanity at red lights, people go nuts, dogs & cats, living together.....in sin.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You blue and whites keep trying to make up for your little lifters (smallest Intake lift of ALL vipers of ANY year). :)

Here's an idea..... Maybe the rest of us should all go out and sell our vipers so we can buy a blue and white! There's enough of them out there so we can ALL have one. And then we can start our own board, that way we can keep all the big lifter vipers out.

:)

O.K, guys... pile on!

Mine lopes so bad the only way I can get all 4 tires to touch the ground at the same time is to shut it off. It's insanity at red lights, people go nuts, dogs & cats, living together.....in sin.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cody;

Interesting comparison to year 1 and 2 Cuda's, but I challange your logic slightly.

The reason why the 1971 Cudas are worth more than the 1970 is the same reason why the 1970 Chevelles are worth more than the 1971's. They're better looking!

In comparision the Viper, except for the hot blue / white color, all look alike.

Case in point: (sorry for the size, a highjacked url)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Which one would you pay more for?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1971!

I've been looking awhile for a nice 1971, but I've only come across a bunch of 1970's. I'm going to keep waiting for the perfect 1971 and not settle for the 70.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's enough of them out there so we can ALL have one.

O.K, guys... pile on!

yeah Cody your right, those Red GTS are a tough find due to the exclusive years they were available!!!!:D

don't have the time about the intake lift but I'll go hunting tonight, is this 96/97 or up to 99 I am guessing!! Good work detective, haha.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The blue and white color is the one that reminds people of the original A/C cobra , and turns the most heads. My lumpy cam 97 draws a crowd even more that my red RT-10. I just wish it was as fast! :eek:

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason for the 1971 increased value is due to production statistics. If you only consider 6-Pack and Hemi options the numbers are as follows (hardtop Cuda's):

w/ 440 6bbl total 1755
w/ 426 Hemi total 652

w/ 440 6bbl total 237
w/ 426 Hemi total 108

Less cars = Mo' Money

Long Live the HEMI!