96 GTS Pics After Last Week's Wet Sand and Detail

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My camera and photographic skills do not do justice to the detailer's work. He smoothed out a lot of 13 year old factory paint flaws I never would have noticed if he hadn't pointed them out. Paint is much more reflective and glass-like. Even a chamois drying clearcoat over the years leaves a haze of minute scratches. The detailer told me to never use a dust brush or chamois on the car, only microfiber towels and to never wipe off dust dry. He told me to always wash the car top to bottom with a quality car wash product if it was dusty and to dry with microfiber towels.

Great! I can drive the car about 5 minutes until I have a huge accumulation of Florida sand on the back bumper and around the license plate.

Attachments

• DSC00938.jpg
    DSC00938.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC00957.jpg
    DSC00957.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC00942.jpg
    DSC00942.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC00920.jpg
    DSC00920.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking Good. I need to detail my car this spring time before summer gets here.

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you like driving around on those Hoosier DR's? Curious how they do.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great! I can drive the car about 5 minutes until I have a huge accumulation of Florida sand on the back bumper and around the license plate.

No worries.... A good detail is permanent. You'll be amazed at how the dirt just falls off, next time you go to was the car...

Lookin' good....

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Didnt notice the Hoosiers untill you mentioned them.

I'm also curious as to what you think of those tires. I plan on running a set or 2 on my car this year.

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They are great for an everyday driving tire as long as it is dry. I am not sure if the police would give you a hard time over them or not. I mounted them white letters in to be a little more stealth. The car pretty much a fair weather toy and if I ever get caught in the rain I imagine I am pretty well screwed.

I really need to get a second set of wheels to mount them only for trips to the drag strip. I have had them on the car for about 1,500 miles now. They are pretty soft and probably won't last a lot of miles.

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may have missed an earlier post, but what grit wet sandpaper did you use? 2000?

Detailer used 2000 on the whole car and 1000 on the really rough spots. Nothing courser than that. He spent 10 hours just on the wetsanding and buffing.

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt notice the Hoosiers untill you mentioned them.

I'm also curious as to what you think of those tires. I plan on running a set or 2 on my car this year.

They are a little grippier than the Pilot Sports and drive fine on the street as long as it is not wet. They are pretty cheap too. I think they were something like $460 shipped from Summit Racing. They are the same size as the stock 17 in tire.

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is your 1/4 mile time

Car went 12.21 at 117 on Pilot Sports and with stock exhaust at Gainesville International Raceway first time I had it out. Only had the filters and tubes at that time. After the Roe HF cats and Borla catback and the Hoosiers I was hoping for high 11's and 120 at Bradenton, but only went 12.08 at 118. I was hoping for better. Maybe next time. I did not think the track at Bradenton was all that sticky, but numerous SC Vipers ran their first runs in the high 9's there. The problem must have been me.

It seems my first rcouple of runs of the day are always the fastest when I am more conservative about my launch. After that, I launch too hard and end up with excessive wheelspin. My best runs the tires only slightly "chirp".

Last edited:

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drysand my Viper with my California car duster all the time....Still looks pretty good after fresh Turtle wax...Al

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car looks Awesome! Very nice job. Looks like it got slapped in the face by the fountain of youth. I also noticed the drag radials right off the bat. Very nice car!