96 Viper GTS vs. 2004 Cadillac XLR!!!!!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm out for a joy ride in my 96 Viper GTS after being couped up in the garage for most of the winter. I see this strange looking car in the next lane, turns out it's a 2004 Cadillac XLR with manufacturer plates. Not even for sale yet. I think it is going to be in the $80,000 range though. The driver is 60 something and probably a GM exec. He just looked content that he remembered to take his Geritol today and his Metamucil made him regular. He wanted no part of this 500 some odd HP Viper. Poor, old geezer!!! Ended up next to him at the light with no one in front of us. I just blew by him when the light turned green while he was trying to figure out where the gas pedal was. Cool looking car with all the gadgets too.

Here's a picture of one. I guess it is based off the Cadillac Evoq concept car that was out a few years ago. Has the Northstar engine.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I guess it has all the toys in it and the next generation Corvette chassis, but only 330 hp. Read about it here on Motor Trend.

Cadillac XLR Road Test

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it wasn't Lutz. I know what he looks like and he lives down near this guy I work with about 40 miles or so from me and where this car was spotted.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The XLR would be a competitive car if it had 400HP+ and was priced under $60K, but being priced roughly the same as the new Mercedes SL500, and even close to the Viper, and the Jaguar XK8 makes it a really tough sell with only 330HP. :(

I guess that they will be having a more powerful XLRv model following, but no doubt it will be even more pricey!

The looks of the car are the best (short of the Cien concept car) of the Art & Science blocky styling, but I far prefer the looks of the Jag, Viper, and SL500 to it's lines that will soon look dated.

-Dean.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor City,
Be careful about: "The driver is 60 something and probably a GM exec. He just looked content that he remembered to take his Geritol today and his Metamucil made him regular."
I am 60 something, and enjoy 130 plus at the track in my Viper. (ha-ha)
Later,

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor City,
Be careful about: "The driver is 60 something and probably a GM exec. He just looked content that he remembered to take his Geritol today and his Metamucil made him regular."
I am 60 something, and enjoy 130 plus at the track in my Viper. (ha-ha)
Later,

:) Duely noted ruckdr. I forgot the average age of Viper owners is a lot older than myself. This guy however didn't look like he could survive past 60 mph. I hope when I get older I am like my 85 year old grandpa, taking ****** and still chasing grandma around the house. :D Well, let's hope I don't need ****** til I'm in my 80's though.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trepiolet,
Only occasionally !!
You all know I Meant that in jest; however, there may be some that would take it a little more seriously.
The only problem I have now is cabin fever (car still up on jack stands) from the winter mods done, we really need a boat here. Only the last couple days have shown some hope of a Viper outing soon.
Later,

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see you pulled her out Sean.

Hoping in a week or 2 for me, buttoning up my exhaust.

Maybe all the chicks will say my car sounds "all right" this year when next to your GTS. Hahaha.....

Wanna come up to our dyno day next month and see what she pulls? Want to put some numbers to my exhaust, see what happens.

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I took her out Saturday and Sunday. Put about 100 miles of joyriding on it. Ahhh, it doesn't get any better. Yeah maybe after your exhaust mods the border gaurds won't ask you if something is wrong with your Viper when you pull in behind me. The chicks dig your car regardless. :D Only problem I have is I have a tendency to turn my stereo off and leave the car in one gear too low sometimes just so I can hear my screaming exhaust.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang