97 GTS Oil Capacity and Dipstick Question

Apex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just changed my oil in my 97 GTS and put 8 Litre`s in (8.5 Quarts) but I`m below the full mark, halfway between min and max. The owners manual states that this is the correct capacity so I`m a little confused. I remember hearing that Dodge changed the GTS oil pan in later years which increased oil capacity so it`s possible the previous owner did this, but I don`t know if there is any way of telling.

Also, are the dipsticks supposed to be completely straight or have any bends either at the top or bottom.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Halfway between min and max is what, perfect? Max being, well, you almost overfilled it?!?

Does your dipstick look bent, or just curved? Most dipsticks have to go down a curved tube, including the Viper, and may be curved to conform. Bent or kinked? No...

How about a pic of the dipstick?

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ain't nothing wrong with that dipstick. The slight curve at the end shouldn't affect the measurement at all.

I'd be willing to bet, after others chime in, that whether you run midway between min and max, or at max, is nothing but personal preference. Possibly on a high G track car it may make a difference, but I respond by doing nothing when my GTS is at mid stick.

BTW, I'd guess that the 2 Q reference on the stick is the difference between those points. So that would make you 1 Q below max. Or as Dave would say, why mess with it.

OP
OP
A

Apex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

grcforce what the hell is that supposed to mean?

I just got finished replacing the timing cover gasket which blew on me after 2000 miles of ownership and I want to make sure there are no other issues. Better safe than sorry.

The reason I ask about the dipstick is not because I think it's bent, but check out this pic from MGW, it's nothing like mine.

Viper Dipstick Handle

By the way thanks to Chuck Tator for his advice and parts.

Last edited:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS shows full on the dipstick when I put in 8.5qts. of oil, with a new filter also.

OP
OP
A

Apex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can see it in the third pic in my link. The length from the end to where the handle begins is 20" (just the metal part)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can see it in the third pic in my link. The length from the end to where the handle begins is 20" (just the metal part)

I feel really, really uncomfortable saying this but, here it goes.

I took my dipstick out and compared it to yours and it looks the same. Same length, no unusual bends. I've been told mine is normal length.

I've heard that there are some that are much longer, though. But those Vipers aren't any faster; so, I'm satisfied with the length of my dipstick, just the way it is. :headbang:

OP
OP
A

Apex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thanks for that, it seems to be helping to ease my feelings of inadequacy when it comes to the dipstick department.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
2000 the capacity went from 8.5 to 10 qts. The fin pattern on the two differ. Maybe Chuck can tell you if you have the newer pan if you send him a pic.

did you change out the filter?

OP
OP
A

Apex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I'll ask Chuck.

I like to keep my dipstick well lubed. I check it often and make sure there are no drips.