'97 GTS Questions??

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'97 GTS Questions??

Think about buying a '97 GTS because the '96 I was looking at got sold. I have a few questions about the '97 GTS's. How much power do they make to the wheels? How reliable are they? What recalls or problems have you owners come across? How costly are they to maintain? What will have to be done to be able to put a 100-150 wet shot of nitrous on the car? Thanks in Advance for you assistance.

Sincerely,
Robert

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'97 GTS Questions??

Search the forums with the search button. There's a reason no one has answered thus far. Make an effort to do your research and THEN the info will pour like the Niagra Falls.

Jay K.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank You. Sorry I am new to the forum and having a little trouble navigating.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here I'll throw you a bone. I'm a noob too, but from what I have seen posted, the early Gen II cars pull right around 400 hp to the wheels on a Dynojet. All the bolt-on mods could get you to 450 rwhp.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

421 bone stock here before mods.

early gen II respond to exhaust mods nicely, the 97 has slightly more polished rims and a running change in early 97 to one piece forged rims, not cast.

small trim updates, one piece rubbers along door glass, etc.

big difference is lack of rear stripe thru rear plate area. DC's version of dealing with stripes not lining up thru that area was to delete the stripe completely, nice.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SnakeBoy,

Mine dyno'd 442 RWHP bone stock.

These cars can vary quite a bit car to car. Who knows why, maybe break in, but we've seen as much as 40 HP difference on cars stock to stock of same year same model dyno'd back to back. Go figure.

The 97 is a great car, most of the bugs of the 96 were worked out. Check and see if the frame recalls have been done.

A couple of things that were not recalls but a lot of people have done are:

1.The fan housing change out to newer model.

2.Change the oil pan to newer model bigger factory oil pan.

There is one blue and white being sold real cheep here on forum board, you'll need to find the thread.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

SnakeBoy, here are a couple of older threads:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=454765&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=357592&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Keep in mind that both are GREAT years, and that BOTH need recall 998.

I personally feel that there has been many more 96's with oils leaks than 97...rear mains, cam plugs, oil pan (porosity???)...including rumors of a few 96's with porus blocks resulting in an Arrow rebuild with a new block (read that non-matching number)...makes for a STRONG motor but may have a negative effect collector status. The one person I that I personally know with this porus block problem has been very happy with the rebuild.

And, finally...from Henry Cone...on 998 Recall:

Re: Viper Recall #998 and #999 - READ BEFORE YOU GO TO THE DEALER
      #81381 - 05/22/02 12:05 AM Edit   Reply   Quote Quick Reply  

Guys, I'll try to shed more light on this recall. I now have a copy of 998 and have reviewed it in detail. There are several suggestions that I can offer from this.1. Don't panic!! And don't get in too big a hurry to get this done - be sure that you have inspected your car so that you know what you are getting in to.

2. Recall 998 is for all 96 to 99 cars up to a build date of March 1, 1999 - these cars require inspection of both the steering rack mount welds as well as the left side differential mounts. Recall 999 covers 1999 and 2000 cars and only requires inspection of ths steering rack mount - there was apparently a running change to the rear frame differential mounts.

3. THIS IS IMPORTANT - Most cars (I would guess 98+ %) will not have any cracks and will require only the addition of the steering rack mount reinforcement pieces (both 998 and 999) and the differential mount reinforcement pieces (recall 998 only). Cars most likely to have cracks are ones run at the track on Hoosiers or slicks, dragged with slicks or other high traction drag tires. or that have been damaged in an accident. We have numerous Viper Days events on both of our cars with me in the gravel traps on several occasions and Janni having hit a wall hard enough to break the steering rack assembly but neither of our cars show any cracks. How do I know?? We inspect them after each and every track event.

4. For the front (recalls 998 and 999), if inspection does not reveal any cracks then all that is required is the additional of several frame reinforcement pieces. One of them does require welding and there are very specific instructions in the recall as to how this is to be done. The other 2 pieces involve grinding off some existing gussets and replacing them with larger ones that are riveted in place with numerous structural steel rivets. Except for the welding this reinforcement is relatively straight forward as it does not require any dissasembly, etc. NO ALIGNMENT WORK IS REQUIRED UNLESS CRACKS ARE FOUND!! So the only difficultly is applying the recalls to most cars is the welding.

5. For the rear (recall 998 only) the directions require that the differential be removed to do the inspection. If no weld cracks are found several frame reinforcements are added . The one on the right side is relatively straight forward. The one on the left side is more complicated but neither requires welding. Both of these reinforcements are riveted in place with numerous structural steel rivets. AGAIN NO ALIGNMENT WORK IS REQUIRED UNLESS CRACKS ARE FOUND!!!

6. The labor time shown for the front is 2.6 hours to inspect the steering rack mount and add the reinforcements if no weld cracks are found. This seems very reasonable.

7. The labor time shown for the rear is 2.7 hours to remove the differential, inspect the mounts for cracks, install the reimforcement pieces, and reinstall the differential if no weld cracks are found. This seems to be pushing it a bit but is not too far off - the actual time may vary depending upon the exhaust system on the car as this will have to be partially removed to remove the differential.

8. THE ABOVE SHOULD BE ALL THAT IS REQUIRED FOR THE VAST MAJORITY OF CARS!!! My suggestion is to inspect your car for weld cracks yourself and / or make sure that they are absolutely present before authorizing anything other than adding the reinforcements. DON"T ASSUME THAT YOU HAVE CRACKS AND WANT THE MORE DRASTIC REPAIRS MADE!!! The reason that I say this is that if cracks are present the recall repair procedure is involved enough that it will require a very good and careful tech to get you car back to being right. And complete alignments will required for each end of the car that requires the full recall repair procedure. My fear is that an incorrectly done full recall could leave a car worse off than before the work was done!!!

9. If steering rack mount cracks are found in the front, the repair procedure requires the complete replacement of the steering rack mount with a new one. This is very involved and getting the new one welded in place in exactly the right position is going to be difficult and tedious. After a new rack mount is installed the reinforcements are added. Then several hours of front end alignment work are required. 2.0 hours of labor is allowed for changing the mount with some portion of 3.4 hours af total alignment time allowed used for the front end alignment. My view is that you don't want to have to have this done unless it is absolutely necessary.

10. If differential mount cracks are found at the rear things get really involved. Because of the welding required it is necesary to removed the fuel tank from the car. Several reinforcement pieces are welded in place to reinforce the rear frame about the differential. The welding required is involved and extencive. The total time for the rear differential mount repair (including removing the fuel tank) ranges from between 6.5 and 7.6 hours depending upon the car (coupe or roadster) and how bad the cracking is. Again some portion of 3.4 hours of alignment is also required to get the rear suspension aligned correctly. Again my view is that you don't want to have this done unless it is absolutely necessary.

I hope that the above information helps!! We will try to post some of the drawings of the areas to be inspected out of the recalls tomorrow. Feel free to contact us with questions. And of course we will be trying to get suitable arrangements set up for our Carolinas Region members.

--------------------
Henry Cone
NC Region VCA Vice President, Treasurer
Southeast Zone Director at Large
Ex-Motorola Cup Viper GTS Race Car
2003 Silver SRT/10 (shared with Janni)

OP
OP
S

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow!! Thanks Man. I really appreciate it. I am still looking around for a car, but I have now set my sights on a '97 GTS. I am not to particular about color but Blue w/ white stripes would be cool. Let me know if any one is selling one. I am not to concerned about millage or modifications either. Thanks again. Rob

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Rob, I put the rather lengthy up to try to give you a little jump start...as I didn't want you to flail about trying to unravel years of threads...I have a small advantage on ya in that I am relatively familiar with the content and many of the posters. This is a great bunch of people, AND, they KNOW a lot. Ask lots of questions... and let us know what you get.

Good luck with your search...by the way, sometimes one can snag a GREAT 97 in red, paying less than the same car in blue/white. We happen to have a 97 blue/white...which is MY personal favorite.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Steve-Indy. I know that these guys know a ton about vipers just like I know a ton about BMW's. Trust me, I will be asking alot of questions. Thanks for all your help and patients.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What kind of maintance problems have you guys encountered with your cars (oil, leaks, clutch, a/c, etc.)? The car does not seem like a maintance problem but I am curious to see what does go wrong with the cars.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Really, other than the intake manifold gasket replacement and the frame recall work, we have had NO problems with our 97. I do the routine maintenance work myself...which is a good part of the FUN. Others may be able to share a wider range of problems and/or issues. Once again, the 97 is MY favorite driver!

OP
OP
S

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How is tire wear under normal driving?? Which tires are the best for the car?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Under normal driving, tire wear is very acceptable...on the track is a whole different story as you are quite aware. Have seen some guys drive the Pilot Sports on the street for 8-10000 miles, then switch them out to track wheels for club lapping sessions...very cost effective, though, one cannot expect to "run up front" on this type of strategy.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will only drag the car on slicks so track tire wear is not a big issue. In terms of everday drivability how would you rate the GTS? Scale of 1-10(1=lowest, 10=highest)

OP
OP
S

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This will be my daily driver, so I want to be prepared.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Our 97 is the BEST riding of the group (I like LATE issue MXX3's...even though they are a little old for high speed usage)...01 GTS second (Pilot Sports), after that, all are FUN...but, comfort not in the high zone on long trips , especially if you are a large build, or "gettin' older".
The differences in "comfort" begin to show up after a few hours of driving, which is a rare occasion for me...and, likely would not be an issue with a reasonable daily commute.

YOU NEED ONE !!!

Try e-mailing me your e-address or your phone number if you need more info...I HATE to type !!!

OP
OP
S

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do '97 GTS's have xenon headlights and/or fog lights? Which would be the best short shifter for the car?

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SVSi and B&M make nice short throw shifters. The SVS (newer model) has a heavier spring which assists in the 2-3 shift and 4-5.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SVSi and B&M make nice short throw shifters. The SVS (newer model) has a heavier spring which assists in the 2-3 shift and 4-5.

I have the B&M model and love it. You can typically find them for $250 through Jegs or check the classifieds here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang