97 vs 02 differences...

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I know this is a noob question and yes I've done some research, so bear with me :)

I've loved the Viper since I first saw a comparison test in a 1997 Car and Driver magazine. Well, I think this is finally the year when I'm going to live the dream and finally purchase.

I'll always love the classic, 97 blue and white GTS. At the same time, the 02 graphite and silver GTS is beautiful as well. So I'm trying to see what I should start to push for, as some of these are currently available and near me.

- Engine differences - not a major problem for me - reliability is my biggest concern and I plan on keeping this mostly stock here
- Exterior changes - power mirrors - I like power mirrors, but how important are they really right
- Interior changes - door handles, shifter knob, grained dash - does the cockpit really feel that much upgraded?
- Frame recalls - yes they need to be completed
- Upgraded diff - is it really that big of a difference?
- ABS - This one is somewhat important to me. Big thing is that I also plan on doing the Gen3/4 brake upgrade

Is there anything else I'm missing? From you current owners to a prospective future owner, what would you say are dealbreakers in comparing one with another?

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll laugh at my post in the future....

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upgraded differential ??

Engine, cast pistons in the later years....not good for forced induction or nitrous. "Keeping this mostly stock" .....famous last words :D
If you have to have ABS = 2001 or 2002 as you already know.
Interiors feel basically the same to me. 96/97 had the rubberized dash/bezel coating that scratches easily......not sure about 98, 99 was different, I think.

Good luck on your search...Join the VCA !!! In the Ga. club you will almost get your $$ back in food when we have lunches/dinners etc.
Look forward to meeting you.

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So overall, I guess that means no one feels strongly on one more than the other? (aside from the engine charging debate)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have answered your own question on what to start looking for. You mentioned ABS being important. If this is the case then '01 or '02 (speciffically '02 since you mentioned graphite) are the years for you. As far as the differences go...not to many other then the ones you've pointed out. Point of interest...with the '02 you will not have to worry about the frame recall.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both are basicly the same cars.

The Viper is developed a bit each year, so later cars tend to have better quality control, and upgraded features.

Both years share the same Viper DNA and driving experience.

96 Viper was a tremendous step up from previous years, and indeed was a new generation. Not till 03 was the car changed dramatically with large differences in engine hp , drivability and performance enhancements.

Due to the magic of the first coupe released in American Blue/white livery they tend to command a premium price. These are some of the most sought after Vipers of all time.

Hard to go wrong with either of your choices.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't worry about the frame recall, most Vipers already had it done. Since heavy mods are not a priority, the creampuffs (00'+) are just fine and ABS is a plus. You will loose the awesome sounding, lumpy 708 cam though.

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to go check out the 97 this weekend, hopefully there's someone near me here in GA that owns an 01 or 02 that I can do some comparison with.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you don't plan on supercharging or twin-turboing then it's a no brainer...You get a few more bells and whistles with the 02 and the big one as you know is the ABS so for you (money aside) the 02 is the way to go. Regarding the ABS there are topics about guys locking brakes to avoid squirrels, kids, cars, etc... and have ruined a new set of tires... just something to keep in mind...

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve got both.
Both are great.
Besides those differences mentioned, the b/w does not have an interior release for the rear hatch.
Good luck with your search and purchase.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about the frame recall, most Vipers already had it done. Since heavy mods are not a priority, the creampuffs (00'+) are just fine and ABS is a plus. You will loose the awesome sounding, lumpy 708 cam though.

I still need that recall done on mine..

I just dont trust anyone to keep my car.. plus my car is stock. well.. minus the ACR wheels ;)

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup I use that thread as my main reference. I guess I'm trying to find an answer that I can only get seeing and touching in person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang