998 Recall

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is there a time limit on this recall or will dodge be required to did to any Viper no matter the date?

True Federal Recall has not expired, probably WILL not expire soon.
Dodge should fix for 20th owner or beyond. rare exceptions for salvaged title cars, and a couple other rare exceptions

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would one of the rare exceptions be a 2001 car with a 2000 frame? My buddies old car was one of the first 2001 built and had no frame mods to it. :(

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want to get it done, but I live far away from anyone that I trust so I am waiting till I can take it up to them.

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had Chuck at Tators do mine on a 97 GTS, It is quite extensive but it was free of charge.Any dealer can run your vin# and tell you if it has any open recalls. :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had Chuck at Tators do mine on a 97 GTS, It is quite extensive but it was free of charge.Any dealer can run your vin# and tell you if it has any open recalls. :2tu:

There is an online link to check that as well, would need to look in my mailbox if I still have it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way...998 Recall (steering gear crossmember-frame attachment and differential mounting bracket)DOES NOT effect a 2000 Viper...

BUT, the 999 Recall (steering steering gear crossmember-frame attachment ) DOES pertain to a 2000 Viper.

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a time limit on this recall or will dodge be required to do the recall no matter the date?

Let me know if you plan on getting yours done and where. I have some ideas and need to get it done also. Maybe we can split a transport of the cars up to NC and have Tom Sessions do them at the same time and then ship them back.

By the way...she turned 16,000 miles on Saturday :)

D

DAMN YANKEE

My 2 cents...

There is a dirty little secret about the 998/999 recall and that is that Dodge simply does not reimburse their dealerships/techs enough for the amount of time it takes to do it properly. The fact is that many of us drive far and wide to find a person that will do the proper set-up, fitment, welds and final painting so that the job shines. That takes about three more hours than the reimbursement would allow for. Simply put, find the place where the techs will only do it the right way because that is the only kind of work they will let themselves do. This is not a money maker for them.

I went to a guy that has done more than 100 of them, that is more than most. After all this was MY Viper, I wanted a cool headed professional, a guy with the right tools..

I wanted Chuck Tator...

You must be registered for see images

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that the wrench for adjusting the muffler bearings or is for the headlight fluid fill caps?

D

DAMN YANKEE

Hey, this is a serious thread. Everyone knows there aren't any headlight fluid fill caps! They have been sealed units since '92.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are near NC, then Tom Sessions is for you. He did a great job for me last summer.

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom Sessions is one of the most honest and detailed Viper Techs out there. I know he is traveling the rest of this week, but you can contact him next week. He has done countless recalls and does a great job. Including the touch up paint at the end.

mz94viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock 94, 4000 miles, looked up the recall info from Dodge and said I have no outstanding recalls. What exactly does that mean ? All completed or since its been so long, Dodge doesnt care any more ? What recalls were there and are the head gasket replacements part of any recall ? How can I tell from the car which recalls might have been done ?

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah Tom is the guy that I want to do the recall but I think that he is 6 to 8 hours away.

Lake Murray Viper, Glad to hear that she is doing well. That sounds like a good idea. I am trying to wait for a little while and see if I can have a few other things done while the car is there with Tom.

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Tom is the guy that I want to do the recall but I think that he is 6 to 8 hours away.

Lake Murray Viper, Glad to hear that she is doing well. That sounds like a good idea. I am trying to wait for a little while and see if I can have a few other things done while the car is there with Tom.

I am no hurry myself. When you get closer to being ready let me know and we can touch base with Tom to schedule something and see about getting them hauled up there at the same time. I know someone who may be able to haul them up there for us.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a time limit on this recall or will dodge be required to do the recall no matter the date?

--------------------
The issue is not with the time frame, a recall is "good" forever, heck, the ford dealer was still willing to do one on my 69 Mustang, but the availabilty of parts/kits to do it.

DC will NOT produce/stock those kits forever and once they are gone, no more recall is possible.

Each dealer was to receive enough kits to do 10% of the numbers of Vipers they sold.

Recall # 999 apply to 1999 to 2000 Vipers build from march 1 1999 to october 2 2000. ( MHD 030111 to MHD 102XX)

The kit is part # CAAM981 and include:
1 Steering gear Crossmember Reinforcement
1 Right side frame rail gusset
1 Left side frame rail gusset
24 structural steel rivets

Recall # 998 apply to 1996 to 1999 Vipers built up to March 1 1999 (MHD 030110)

The kit is parts # CAAM9981 (same as the # 999) but aso include part # CAAP9982 which include:
1 differential support bracket
1 differential "Z" bracket
1 differential support bracket bolt
1 differential support bracket nut
10 structural steel rivets

Not needing it on my car since I don't race/open track it and check it on a regular basis, but wanting to have the parts/kit to do it if needed in the future, i just ordered, and got for free ( since it's a recall at manufacturer expenses) the kit CAAM9981.

Luc 00GTS

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting ready to do recall 998 myself. I went into my local Chrysler dealership and asked for a detailed print out of 998. And yes the recall is extensive! I highly recommend getting a print out of the recall before having it done. This will give you a really good idea all what is involved.

Any way, the information is extremely well detailed with step by step procedures and pictures. Also included is part numbers for all the reinforcement plates and there install location.

What I have decided to do is order all the parts listed in the recall from Dodge and do the recall myself. I am going to have my relaive, who is a journeymen welder, do all the welding. I will assist with locating the reinforcement pieces, etc.

Once I have completed all the work I will take the Viper to my local Chrysler dealership to show the work was completed. Although, I am not too concerned wether or not if they approve/review the work because I will know the work was done right. And to me thats all what matters! :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my local Chrysler dealership does not have trained personnel to do this recall.

:) GTSjbud

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I realize that it is usually a far drive to find a worthy tech., But for me it was worth it. Not only did Tom perform the recall, but he went over the entire car and looked for issues. He found a few small problems and corrected them. Also the recall allows for an alignment.

I have a much better piece of mind knowing a true pro checked everything over.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LUC's suggestion to just get the 998 parts from the dealer is very good. However here are some things that I learned when I did it last week:

1. For a 998 Recall, you need to have the dealer order TWO parts kits, the CAAM9981 AND CAAP9982! 9981 has the reinforcement plates for the steering mount, while 9982 has the reinforcing plates for the differential mount. So if you own a 1996-1999 Viper be sure to have them order BOTH kits.

2. When the dealer agrees to get the kits for you, he should prepare a work order as if his shop will do the recall. This is how he gets reimbursed for the parts. This work order will also most probably get him reimbursed for the labor as if he actually did the recall on your car. You will have to give him your VIN to process the order and recall.

3. This means that Chrysler now thinks your car has had the recall completed. If this is OK with you, go ahead and find a dealer who will work with you and get the pieces for your car. I have done this, as I do not "track" my car and do not want to risk having the work done in such a manner that my car ends up worse than if it had not been touched. However, I now have the correct pieces if ever needed or if a future owner should need them.

4. This means that I can no longer get the work done for free at a dealer, as my car has now had the recall "performed",

5. The dealer instructions for the recall extend to 96 pages and are extremely detailed. They are available on-line to dealers and they also have a hard copy in their shop. Be sure you get a copy of these to just keep with the parts.

6. If any enthuiast dealers read this and I have mistated any of the above, please feel free to correct me so other owners can have this oppertunity.