A C coolant

badasp2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone on here used self fill cans of A C liquid to recharge the air condition system?, or know the correct procedure to do it ???

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Used them many times...always a system with a pressue gauge. Mostly, just follow the directions on the can...though, I usually re-read the service manual just to "refresh" my brain.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and yes.

Does it have freon in it now or did you open the system to repair it??

If it makes "cold" but not cold enough you probably see bubbles in the sight glass. Gonna do it yourself? Simple! Get a can of 134a from the local parts store that comes with a connection hose (don't buy the kind that has leak sealer). Run the car and the a/c on "hi" with doors and windows open. Ambient temp outside should be around 80deg. Got bubbles in the glass?? OK... The new gas goes into the suction side service port... (cold line). When you first hook up the new can be sure to blow a small amt. of freon through the hose to remove any atmospheric air/moisture, then tighten the fittings, puncture the seal on the can and allow the gas to flow into the system. I usually charge it in liquid form by holding the can upside down but I'd suggest you hold the can upright (slower but less chance for possible damage to your compressor). When you start the charge, it may help to have a buddy in the car throttle it up a bit.
The charge is about right when: OA temp is about 80, engine RPM is about 1000 and the bubbles just clear... You should get down to around 45-48 deg. out the vents.

Good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960