A/C help

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2002 GTS. I have a slow leak in my A/C Unit which was traced to a damaged Suction Line (Leaking at connection). The Dodge Dealership advised there are only two of these lines in all of North America, and both are at Dealerships, which do not have to ship them to the one where my Viper is being serviced.

The part number is: 5245035.

Does anyone know if this line is also available under a different part number for another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle? Maybe the Viper Truck?

Thanks,

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you verified you need the whole line instead of just replacing o rings at the connection? I haven't messed with our A/C system, but I know how some dealerships are...Just a thought.

OP
OP
M

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not the O rings. Though I have a full set of them for when that time comes. Its the suction line, which is one of the "Hard" lines running from the driver's side to the passenger's side. It is crimped at the connection and is emitting a very slow leak. I suspect the damaged connection point was there when I bought the car last year. The air gradually, over time, got less cold and more warm, until finally, last week it blew only warm air.

The cost of a new line is $123.00, which I'm told is very reasonable.

Should the two dealerships that currently have this line decline to ship the line to the dealership servicing my car, I now have a Plan "B", thanks to one of the responding Forum Members.

I want to thank everyone who responded.

I had the A/C recharged. Given that the leak is very small, and it took almost a year to completely drain, I think after the recharge, I'll have cold air long enough to sustain me (actually my wife), until I'm able to get the part needed.

I want to thank everyone. The people on this forum are truly great.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something sounds fishy about the hard line leaking so little. It's aluminum, if it had a crack in it, it would have broken long ago. And, the not shipping to other dealers is bs too..........

OP
OP
M

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something sounds fishy about the hard line leaking so little. It's aluminum, if it had a crack in it, it would have broken long ago. And, the not shipping to other dealers is bs too..........

The line isn't cracked. The tip is crimped. About the not shipping to other dealers part. Today, after going on a VCA sanctioned event, I had the opportunity to meet one of the local VCA members who happens to also be a mechanic at one of the two dealers that presently have the line in stock. As I was forewarned might be the case, the AC suction line is actually one he reserved for his Viper. So, there in fact seems to be some truth in the claim the Dealerships do not have to release the part if they don't want to.

The A/C at present is holding the recharge, as I expected it would. Still, I will feel better when I get a new line and replace this one. I am considering having the tip repaired on the old line and keeping it in reserve should it be needed in the future. Or, should the need arise, to help another member out.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any decent Hydraulics shop should be able to fabricate a line that will solve you problem. Being in Texas, there are LOTS of them around to cover the oil industry. Look up Hydraulic Fittings in the yellow pages.

OP
OP
M

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any decent Hydraulics shop should be able to fabricate a line that will solve you problem. Being in Texas, there are LOTS of them around to cover the oil industry. Look up Hydraulic Fittings in the yellow pages.

Thanks Mike. I'm actually looking into this as an option pursuant repair of the crimped end. If I can't get a new one as a replacement, I may resort to this as a means by which to resolve the problem. If I do get a new line, I am still looking into this as it will enable me to have a backup should I later need one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang