A "HOW TO" Question

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: A \"HOW TO\" Question

Are you replacing both front and back?

No special tools needed. Once you do it you'll realize how easy it is.

The most difficult part is pushing the pistons in on the rear calipers. A special tool would be nice for this. If you don't have the correct tool use needle nose pliers in the two little holes and push and turn clockwise.

Do a search on this forum. You'll find some discussion on the topic.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Marc,

The rotor issue depends on the surface smoothness of the rotor instead of the rotor thickness (assuming it isn't worn past safe limits). Since the system is hydraulic, it can adjust to the individual rotor thicknesses on each side. Check the rotor surface for smoothness (ridges/valleys) and go from there.

PS; Please don't take any more work to Carlos yet, I'd like to get my car back some time this century.
crying.gif

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Marc, there should have been an "Installation Instructions" sheet in your shipping box, discussing all the issues about rotors and break-in as well. I'm going to e-mail to you in .wpd format. If you can't read it, then e me back and I will fax.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Turning the rotors? I wouldn't. Drive the car for a while after installing the new pads. If it still pulls, then you may need to turn the rotors.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

As Wing King stated, installation is straightforward...and directions are included. I also used the Viper service manual as a guide. BEST guide/pictures were from a post by Brian Denham with photos by Jay Herbert at this link :
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1252763&a=11908316&f=0

I used a small sanding kit from Snap-On tool man (I posted product details about a month ago) that fits variable speed drill to deglaze my rotors. Made fronts a breeze with rotors still mounted, and back are easy as they come off readily (be SURE to mark rear rotors and adjacent lug so that you get rotor back on in same place!!!).

Call me if you want specifics.

Steve Fess Ind/Ky and ILL VCA 317-431-1375

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve is right about replacing the rear rotor the way it came off. I didn't and noticed a vibration at higher speed, THEN read the manual. Got them back on right by reading the rust pattern between rotor and hub. Whew!

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will ANY sandpaper due to de-glase the rotors? Do I need a special grit? Special paper? I bought the red pads.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I believe that picture # 10 shows a piece of wood being used as a substitute for the wooden or plastic trim stick that one uses to GENTLY push pistons in (after one has opened the cap on brake fluid reservoir) so that pads will fit. Hammer is NOT used to hit anything....SEEMS to be pushing on stick.

I used 100 grit paper...then switched to the 3M "Drill Mounted Starter Kit" ("Roloc") "Brake Surfacing Kit" which has off-set mount for "orbital" effect...these discs are 120 grit and SAVE time, effort, and give a very nice result...particularly for a rookie like yours truly. 3M part # 01410...sold to me by Snap-On dude.

You can use needle-nose pliers to CLOCKWISE rotate rear pistons back into place...OR order special tool 6366 (92-00 Vipers) from Dodge.

DON'T FORGET to tighten brake fluid reservoir cap BEFORE you try brakes.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just started to do my fronts with EBC "reds" and tried to look at the above link, but it's down. Searched but no luck.... Anyone else have a "how to" list?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone else out there have a list on how to take off the front calipers, etc. I've done other cars, just not my viper. I have her up in the air right now waiting. The rotors are glass, no gouges at all. I'm thinking I'll take corse sandpaper to "deglase" them.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What size are the allyn key bolts to take the caliper off? Got the pins out but looks like I'll have to go to the store for a tool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21