A MUST READ

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I just got off the phone with my Insurance agent and thought i would share a important fact with you...now listen up speed demons...
If your car is Jointly Titled, your car cannot be confiscated by the police if you were speeding. because the spouse cannot be held accounted your your action. This has been tried in court and the car was returned to the Innocent spouse.
just thought i would let you know.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if the title has to read "and" or if can read "Mr OR Mrs"

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The downfall to jointly titling your car is if you were to get in an accident where a lawsuit is involved - both spouses would also share in the liability.

Can't speak for all states, but in Michigan they could then come after your joint bank accounts and real estate.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has OR then it can be confiscated, but AND will keep your baby safe from the jack-booted thugs.:smirk::smirk: My read, but I'm sure there are more than a few lawyers that can chime in........................

Slaughter? :D

OP
OP

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He just told me to make sure that my wifes name is (Jointly) on the title. Not that worried about it as i don't drive fast.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that's good to know...can you put 'significant other' on there?!!! :rolaugh::rolaugh::drive: Not sure what our laws here are in NY...but doesn't apply to us anyway~~so we gotta make sure we keep our OWN radar-detectors in each car!! Speed-Demons? Let's just say a 'need for speed' is THERE!! BUT Mike has a CDL license, so needs to watch out.
Good Luck this week~~~! Remember: Let me know how things go! :2tu: ~juli

V

Venomiss

Thank you I will have to call our agent and see what they say.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm... but what if we started a small Inc or LLC that was a car rental business? We own the business, but it is legally represented as it's own entity. Therefore, if we rent our own car or are using it administratively when we get a ticket or busted for whatever.... it could not be confiscated from you because you are only the DRIVER and not the owner...

I wonder how far that would fly?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think all us car nuts should band together, form a political voting block, and get rid of any politicians who voted for confiscation laws. Spread the word across the net, We the People aren't going to stand for that sh*t anymore.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Confiscating your car for speeding is BS. What next?.. taking your house for playing your stereo too loud? In a joint property state, such as Arizona, using the same philosophy they shouldn't be able to take the car anyway. Titled in both names or not, it's still both spouses property, as well as liability. A lot of people around here are registering their vehicles in the spouses name only. That way if they get a photo radar ticket, the DL picture doesn't match the name on the registration and they don't even mail out the ticket.

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That way if they get a photo radar ticket, the DL picture doesn't match the name on the registration and they don't even mail out the ticket.

Not sure how ass backwards Arizona is,but here in CA they mail the ticket to the onwer.The owner then has to have the diver go to court and fill out a form.
They are not going to ticket the wrong person or let a $371.00 red light violation go unpaid.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a caution. Generally, do not trust an insurance agent as to the law in your particular state. They might be right or they could be wrong. I would not make any changes on the representation as to a law by an insurance agent. Go to an attorney if you have a question about the particular application of a law as it might apply to you. Not all states have the same property laws.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No boyfriends...
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sorry. Meant nothing by that.

Were you talking to the general masses here (MEN), or the minority masses here (WOMEN).....????? BF I have...though we prefer to call ourselves significant others.
:nono::nono::nono: tsk-tsk-tsk...juli