A Sincere Adios from our SRT Bossman!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentleman, it is with sincere best wishes that I was asked to publish this farewell message from the amazing DC executive that kept our Viper flame burning, as the SRT team grew from being responsible for one car.... to maintaining the essence of performance on all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles. Rest assured, I know that Dan will ALWAYS be thinking "Viper"!

To my good friends in the VCA,

One thing that is constant in this life is change. The paths my career has taken is something that I never could have predicted. I have been involved with incredible products, worked for a company that has persevered and succeeded time and time again, and worked with real and special people like those in the VCA.

At the end of this year I will be moving on to a new assignment. I will be taking over as the Vice President of the Mopar Global Service Group. If I had to leave SRT, then I can't think of a better place to go. Mopar has been in a resurgence like no other for the past few years. They are bringing back the Mopar passion that has driven the aftermarket business for years. It is our fourth brand and there are few places on earth that hasn't had some connection with Mopar. I will go there and give it my every ounce of energy to keep it succeeding.

Despite my happiness at being promoted and going to a great job, a part of my heart is weeping. Together my team has gone from 2 cars to 11 SRT products. Each of these product is in the top of their class and each has a distinct personality. They each have the SRT steroids to show the world that we get it. Each of my team members has SRT blood running through their veins and I can assure what is in my blood stream will never leave.

My association with the Viper Club of America has been so totally special. From Viper Rendezvous, VOI, reading the website (where we are skewered and praised on a daily basis!), to Viper Days, it has been one of the most rewarding relationships with a group of people, that I have ever had. The friendships we have made will last a lifetime. The experiences and memories will be with me forever. My visceral response to the most incredible car this industry has ever produced will never end.

I can assure you that I will be looking with one eye on what is going on with Viper. I know what the future holds and I know you will be amazed and delighted. I can honestly say that we listened to what you said and delivered everything we could to satisfy you. My successor will be named in a few weeks. We have discussed what this person needs to succeed and what they need to work with the VCA. You can rest in knowing that they will have the passion and skills to keep this Viper thing going for a long long time to come. We will not rest and we will not back down. There is no give up in Chrysler, SRT or Mopar!

I want to thank each and every one of you for the warmth and friendship you have shown me, my team and my family over the last 3 years. It has been a tremendous ride and you can bet your ass that is isn't over yet!

I intend to get out to some Viper events next year so look for me and say hi.

Have fun with those Vipers and save a few coins for what is coming at you in the next few years. You will be amazed and delighted!

Take care,

Dan

14Dan_s_Color_New_Combo.JPG

(I know he's going to kill me for this picture!) Dan Knott, at VOI!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrat to Dan! :2tu:

SRT has really turned out some awesome vehicles recently! My compliments for that as well!! :2tu:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry to see Dan is leaving SRT, as he is one class act, and is very committed to the Viper/SRT team. We wish him the best and his shoes will be tough to fill, but the strong group Dan organized will work well acclimating the new guy/gal into the fold.

Congrats Dan, and please stay in touch!!

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Viper/SRT

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry to see Dan is leaving SRT, as he is one class act, and is very committed to the Viper/SRT team. We wish him the best and his shoes will be tough to fill, but the strong group Dan organized will work well acclimating the new guy/gal into the fold.

Congrats Dan, and please stay in touch!!

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Viper/SRT

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan...Sorry I called you Don.
Best of success with Mopar. We appreciate all you did to kindle the SRT flame. It will burn brightly for decades thanks to you.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan,

You will be missed, but your SRT legacy lives on....right down to your Smokey Donuts on the F-16 runway at Luke AFB. MoPar Performance will surely benefit from your tenure. I can see it now: Viper MoPar Parts, Stage I-II-III Upgrades for the new SRT Coupe! An ACR package!! Yeah, thats it.. KEEP BREATHING VIPER !

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Best wishes in your new direction!

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure do hate to lose him from SRT, but he really deserves a Vice Presidency and DCX is well served by continuing to move him up through the ranks. I know two things for sure:

1. He will always keep a fond eye on SRT, and...

2. We couldn't have a better friend over at MOPAR.

He's been an extraordinary angel to the VCA, and I don't expect that to ever change! He holds everlasting respect among us.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have fun with those Vipers and save a few coins for what is coming at you in the next few years. You will be amazed and delighted!
14Dan_s_Color_New_Combo.JPG

Wow... winking and nudging all the way to the end huh? :D

Is he encouraging us to NOT buy the new coupe because better things are coming?

Seriously though, thanks for your hard work at SRT. :2tu:

ps- the blue martini is way too girly for a man with venom in his veins. ;)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on the promotion. It is well deserved. And I have a hunch you will probably be able to do a lot for your fellow high performance junkies in your new position. What has been accomplished by SRT under your tenure is amazing. You have developed product that is competing favorably with cars twice the price.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Dan !!!

When does this take place ??? I think Dan is skeered of PVO/SRT getting their butts whooped at Chelsea in 2 weeks by the VCA team !!!! :eek: To take another job just to avoid the SHAME...that's really stretching it Dan. Maybe the change doesn't happen for 3 weeks :D

J/K of course

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on the promotion. It is well deserved. And I have a hunch you will probably be able to do a lot for your fellow high performance junkies in your new position. What has been accomplished by SRT under your tenure is amazing. You have developed product that is competing favorably with cars twice the price.

Too bad it's not competely too favorably with cars 3/4 the price. :p

Not to discount all the good work he's done, but he's not leaving smelling like purty flowers either. :smirk:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not to discount all the good work he's done, but he's not leaving smelling like purty flowers either. :smirk:

I got that......just had to use my decoder ring. No one is making you stay with Dodge.....go buy the "other" car at 3/4 price.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got that......just had to use my decoder ring. No one is making you stay with Dodge.....go buy the "other" car at 3/4 price.

I wouldn't buy that z06 **** if you held a gun to my head, but facts are facts. I didn't say it was a better car, just that it wasn't competeing favorably with it... it's a near draw, but at 3/4 the price. No sense bragging about being better than cars twice the price when one at 3/4 is just as good on paper (I'm hoping it fizzles out myself).

Don't get me wrong, the man was great as Mr. Limpet, but among his other accomplishments, he will also be remembered as the guy that was at the helm when the competitor caught up.

...hope that didn't throw off your decoder ring :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa Fangster...Nobody LET Corvette catch up, a year ago the Z was a rumor, and the Viper was light years ahead with no need for more horsepower. All of a sudden it's here and it's fast, MUCH faster than anyone thought it would be, and that gives the SRT guys ammunition to use on the beancounters for more horsepower or less weight. No way were they getting the money before, no need, they had the King of the Hill. That's the way it works in a big auto company, if you have the class leader you don't get any more budget to enhance the performance. And the success of SRT is NOT just about Vipers. I just canceled an M5 order when I finally went D status on my SRT8 300C. That car is in such demand that the wait can be loooong. I placed my order Feb 28. I was on the M5 list for 2 months, number 6, all of a sudden I'm number one. Let's see, that would be $90,000 vs. $46,000. And nobody seems to want the Bimmer. They sure want the SRT8. The new SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee will be faster than a Porsche Turbo Cayenne, for tons less bucks. The SRT10 truck is the fastest truck ever made. The SRT8 Charger with the 425 motor bases at $35,000! The neon SRT4 has been the worlds greatest little track car for some time. The contributions that the SRT group has brought to auto enthusiasts have been unmatched by any other domestic auto company since the 1960's. Ask any dealer what SRT has done to improve business. And when the Viper comes back and ***** slaps the Z with more horsepower and or a weight reduction I'm sure Dan will be remembered as the guy who set those improvements in motion. Trust me, I've met him, he wants what we want for Viper. He got PROMOTED and stopped in to say goodbye, Be nice. :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa Fangster...Nobody LET Corvette catch up, a year ago the Z was a rumor, and the Viper was light years ahead with no need for more horsepower. All of a sudden it's here and it's fast, MUCH faster than anyone thought it would be, and that gives the SRT guys ammunition to use on the beancounters for more horsepower or less weight. No way were they getting the money before, no need, they had the King of the Hill. That's the way it works in a big auto company, if you have the class leader you don't get any more budget to enhance the performance. And the success of SRT is NOT just about Vipers. I just canceled an M5 order when I finally went D status on my SRT8 300C. That car is in such demand that the wait can be loooong. I placed my order Feb 28. I was on the M5 list for 2 months, number 6, all of a sudden I'm number one. Let's see, that would be $90,000 vs. $46,000. And nobody seems to want the Bimmer. They sure want the SRT8. The new SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee will be faster than a Porsche Turbo Cayenne, for tons less bucks. The SRT10 truck is the fastest truck ever made. The SRT8 Charger with the 425 motor bases at $35,000! The neon SRT4 has been the worlds greatest little track car for some time. The contributions that the SRT group has brought to auto enthusiasts have been unmatched by any other domestic auto company since the 1960's. Ask any dealer what SRT has done to improve business. And when the Viper comes back and ***** slaps the Z with more horsepower and or a weight reduction I'm sure Dan will be remembered as the guy who set those improvements in motion. Trust me, I've met him, he wants what we want for Viper. He got PROMOTED and stopped in to say goodbye, Be nice. :D

I've been nice... thanked him for his hard work and everything... notice no comments about German whip cracking? ;)

But I see your point. It's not like the vette slowly crept up on the Viper and Dan had a finger up his nose the whole time. The new z06 was helmed by Lutz... and sprang up quickly. No way GM could've done that without the guy. That's some stiff competition there.

But you must agree with me though... the blue martini has got to go! :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been nice... thanked him for his hard work and everything... notice no comments about German whip cracking? ;)

But I see your point. It's not like the vette slowly crept up on the Viper and Dan had a finger up his nose the whole time. The new z06 was helmed by Lutz... and sprang up quickly. No way GM could've done that without the guy. That's some stiff competition there.

But you must agree with me though... the blue martini has got to go! :D

I agree. I'm sure Joe has already heard from Dan about putting THAT picture up! :eek:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dan is skeered of PVO/SRT getting their butts whooped at Chelsea in 2 weeks by the VCA team !!!! :eek: To take another job just to avoid the SHAME...that's really stretching it Dan. Maybe the change doesn't happen for 3 weeks :D

J/K of course

Hello Dan ???? R U going to be there ;)