A warning.........................

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always tried to never engage in negative comments, but a situation has arisen which should be brought to the attention of fellow VCA members.

A few months ago, my car was hit. The damaged parts were replaced and I tried to sell them in the classifieds. All were sold except for 4 remaining items: a bumper cover, an inner bumper cover, and 2 wheel well liners.

I received a message from an individual who represented that he had taken his inheritence money and purchased a Viper, which was subsequently wrecked. He had little money and was trying to rebuild the car with used/repaired parts. BTW, I had advertised the items for $200. When I checked into the shipping costs, however, they were in excess of $270. When Gary (the name he used) emailed me, I explained that the costs were too much, so I was going to forget the matter. He explained that he would have the parts picked up at his expense, which he did.

Interestingly he then wrote to ask if I knew if the damaged bumper cover could be welded(????). I assumed that he was trying to reinforce that really knew nothing about bodywork and was trying to scam me by making me feel sorry for him.

Still no money from him, so I emailed JonB with a picture of the parts to see if he could give me an idea as to their value. Jon said roughly $350. I then emailed Gary, but as suspected, there has been no response.

I'm not too upset because he was unable to have me spring for the shipping, so I'm not out any money.

Gary is located in the Pacific Northwest and "GT Automotive" is a part of his email address.

I may be entirely wrong in my assessment of the situation and I hope I am. Nevertheless, there are individuals who have absolutely no compunction about committing theft by deceit .

I know this comes as no great surprize to almost everyone else, but I guess I've been living like an ostrich too long.

Don....

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ***** Don, but atleast you're just out some crashed parts and not any money or good condition parts. When someone like you who trusts people and gets shafted, it just proves that life blows at times. I had my thumb drive stolen out of my Viper this weekend in TN, it just had some music on it but there's $100 that I have to spend again to replace it. Its a shame, but its hard to trust people these days.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He could have been talking about plastic welding. Kind of uses a soldering gun type tool but with a thin blade and melts through the crack and welds the plastic back together.

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don - don't feel bad - anyone that hasn't ever given the benefit of doubt to someone and then been shafted hasn't lived very long.

BTW - got any more parts for sale - I will send you a check after they get to me - JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Don, you got played like a yo-yo.

We've all been there sometime or another, It happens when you are just so used to hangout with good people that you forget the **** that's out there.

Sorry, at least the loss wasnt too big. I could add a couple of zeros to that amount, and tell you my horror stories of trusting the wrong person...

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll detail your car and send it back, promise.
LMAO! Nothing like kicking a guy when he's down.

I just want to interject some humor into Don's day.

Being taken isn't fun especialy when you have the instinct not to do it.

I have done work for people that I knew I wouldn't be paid by; on their promise, giving them a chance, with hope, and lost.

We've all been there.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, I truly feel sorry for you. I have had the same thing happen to me many times as I trust in humanity. I bought an item earlier this year and it took the seller 2 months to ship the part that I paid for the same day as we agreed on a price on the phone. I also believe that a lot of our fellow VCA members had the same problem with this person. The old saying used to be "buyer Beware", now it is "buyer/seller beware".

Robbie

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racer Robbie, did you buy some damaged parts from that guy? Maybe you have Don's parts!

Reaction score
Now...in all fairness....how many of us HAVE sent out parts to Viper guys we've never really met, saying they can send the $$ when they get the part, or something like that? We all know the possibility is there....but we do it anyway because, well, that is a small part of what makes this club (and community) so great. :)

SHEESH....I should be on Oprah!! LOL! :)

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got scammed the other day out of $140.00 I was trying to help a "student" on a trip...karma is a B%TCH! The guy that scammed you will get paid back ten fold during his life ...trust me...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Now...in all fairness....how many of us HAVE sent out parts to Viper guys we've never really met, saying they can send the $$ when they get the part, or something like that? We all know the possibility is there....but we do it anyway because, well, that is a small part of what makes this club (and community) so great. :)

SHEESH....I should be on Oprah!! LOL! :)

Brought a tear to my eye! :)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about when you pay for a part up front and it takes the guy a month and 20 emails to get him to ship the part to you when he has the money in the bank..................his bank!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96