AC/Fan turns off when stepping on gas?

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this normal? If I am in low RPM, and the fan inside is blowing, or the AC is blowing, if I step on it, suddenly it stops blowing until I take my foot off the gas. Originally I thought it was blowing HOT air into my car, but have discovered it justs feels like hot air is being blown in once the AC stops blowing (Or something like that... heck it still feels like hot air is being blown but if it is, it's not coming from the circle vent underneath the steering wheel or the front vents)

What is this? Why does it do this.

Joe, I already know you are going to tell me I need more air in my back tires, so I checked that. I also smelled the gas to make sure it wasn't overly saturated with a gas smell.

Mike

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fan cut off during acceleration is normal. It is mentioned in the owner's manual in the ac section. Relax, nothing is broken, enjoy the extra power to the wheels on the road!

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is mentioned in the owner's manual in the ac section

I don't read any manuals. I just figure things out on my own - until it breaks, then I read what I was supposed to do.

Thanks for the explanation!

Mike

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, I think the FAN stops blowing COLD air, and starts blowing normal outside air, but I think the compressor still stays engaged. Try accelerating with it on, and with it off, you'll notice the car is more power full with it off.

Jon

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2000 acr did this , I read a tech note in a viper magazine that explained the relay to replace ,took my car and article to dealer.He solved problem.Ill see if i can find article and post later.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was an in-depth thread on this quite some time ago, and I seem to recall that, while this is normal, it doesn't have to work that way - maybe somebody can find the old thread...

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lot of mis-informations in this thread:

1/ the fan doesn't stop blowing (hot or cold) at WOT.

2/ The A/C clutch dis-engage at WOT.

3/ The A/C clutch is not responsible for hot air at WOT.

4/ The problem is vacuum related(lack of it) at WOT.

The reason:

At WOT, the engine vaccum get very low and all the valves/doors in the heater/A/C system are vaccum operated and the door controling the cold (A/c) air simply close.
result being a lack of cold,forced air through the vents.

The Solution(s)

1/ a one way check-valve on the A/C heater vaccum line coming from the engine at the side of the valve cover on the passenger side.

2/A combination vaccum reservoir/check-valve (part# 53003408,less than $15) on the same line.

Luc.00GTS (cold A/C under WOT)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950