Acceptable jacking procedure for tire repair?

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a screw in my brand new Viper's tire (Driver's rear) and Goodyear jacked it up under the exhaust covers. Now there is a sliver-like scratch (making white into the paint, and that you can feel) in the underneath of that panel. Is this acceptable?

If I have to go get this repaired and painted I am gonna be absolutely furious. I was pissed enough about the screw. It is such that you cannot see it without it either being jacked up, or you putting you head flat on the pavement and seeing it on the far underside of the aluminum panel.

But they should have used a towel or something to prevent. Paying for my repairs is not good enough. Down time and jerking me around for their carelessness is gonna piss me off to the point of the ridiculous.

I am sick of others getting blood in this economy ... and me cutting people a break for f---ing up my brand new car.

Thoughts?

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not acceptable at all, but based on my experience with a Dodge dealer that did the same thing to my GTS - Good Luck. They likely will stonewall you and say the damage was already there, or will make the claim procedure so onerous you give up in frustration. Again, Good Luck.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dont BS with them, esimate and small claims law suit. $7500 in CA

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 4 jacking points that any idiot can find under the car to lift with. V shaped wedges that are on the frame behind the front wheels and in front of the rears. Be sure they didn't bend your aluminum sills to when they lifted her up. Yes they should reimburse any damage but a PIA! Hope it works out for you.

If its that low underneath and only a very very small cosmetic blemish I might not worry about it (underside of the sills get beat to hell if you drive at all)but again be sure no other damage was caused!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i feel your pain...when my 08 was new i had the clear bra done on delivery..my car threw a code due to the belanger headers .. took it to the dealer who cleared the code but also felt like he could hear a "muffler leak" .. so he put it up on the lift but did not find one.. when i got home i saw that i had 5 inch gashes/cuts in my clear bra on the underside of the side sills when he had put it up on the lift

i said **** a few times but to be honest i've been to busy enjoying the car and besides you can't see the damage unless your on your knees...

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the input guys ... anyone else care to give their opinion? I am gonna go look at it again now, in the light. I was using a flashlight last night, as all happened as it was getting dark. I cannot believe they would not have had the forevision to use a simple towel for goodness sake.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Towel or no towel... the fact is they jacked it up in the wrong place. You will clearly see the V jacking points on all 4 corners. They should have known better as they do this for a living but this is the kind of service you get these days. I would escalate this to the corporate level if there is serious damage. Even if no damage was done, someone high up needs to know about this!

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are cooperative and helpful and make things right with you be sure to let people know that they made a mistake and did the right thing. We all make mistakes...

If they are not cooperative then be sure to plaster the name of shop everywhere you possibly can and tell your story and how they treated you. Don't slander them - just tell the awful truth.

This is the power we have.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After being screwed many times, I have learned. I always try my hardest to "remove" the item in question. Getting exhaust put on?? Remove your sills, and drive to the shop... Nail in tire?? Remove the wheel, and take the 1 wheel into the shop,etc,etc.. It's a shame, but to protect your car, and a possible fiasco, you have to do this.

Just this week I had a fiasco of my own with a tire shop down here in south FL, with my Mercedes E55.. Had 4 new tires put on. Now, I obviously cant leave the car on stands (daily driver), and rather than watch them do this. I figured, you know what? They are a tire shop,right??... They can handle mounting 4 tires, right? NOPE!!!!

Got my car back, every single wheel had marks on it from the machine.. And big surprise, the shop manger denied they did it..

Its truly unreal the level of incompetence out there.. It really is... I'm sorry this happened... But I doubt you or I will see any compensation from this.

It comes down to, what is your time worth?? I can have all 4 of my wheels fixed for $500... Which would not even cover 2 hours of my attorneys fee's to go after them... Some will argue my point (as they should), and say it's principal.. But sometimes you have to decide just to move on, and hope Karma takes care of the rest.

I can tell you one thing... There is VERY LITTLE CHANCE of them fessing up, and just cutting you a check with an estimate. If not ZERO.. So, it will either be a legal fight, or you have to walk away and learn from it.. Just speaking the truth.. I needed to leave the tire shop the other day, before I was arrested for Assualt&Battery... Honestly!!!!!

I'm sorry this happened to you.. I FEEL your pain, believe me !!!!!!!!! Now I have to go have 4 wheels refinished.

Last edited:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They screwed up..... no if's and's or but's about it. Any idiot with any experience could plainly see that the frame does not extend past the sils and therefore, the sils are not structural (cannot be used as jacking points). See if they are willing to pay for their f%$!-up although just as someone said earlier, its now your word against theirs. Next time, take you car to a "Viper friendly" repair place or remove the tire yourself and take only the tire. If not, then make sure you are there and given the opportunity to watch every move. If they are unfortable with that, then find someone else.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the days of ubiquitous camera equipped cellphones, I am not sure why you aren't taking advantage of this technology, assuming you have a phone with this capability.

If I leave my car ANYWHERE, the iphone is out and I am taking pictures of ALL areas agreed upon in writing that the dealer/whoever is going to look at.

I also get in writing that whoever takes my keys agrees upon the condition of the vehicle based on the pictures I took beforehand. 5 minutes of work shows that, A: I am serious about my car, B: I am not a person to be trifled with, C: I am prepared ahead of time in case of any problems.

That usually stops any fudcockery about damage, scratches, etc right from the beginning.
:2tu:

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my, this is a sad-state world of incompetence we live in today. I am sick about the scratch, just cannot prep myself for yet another confrontation with the inept. How much to prep and paint this over again? About $400-$500?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most dealer mechanics are morons, yes I said most, not all. I went to my local Dodge dealer to have a warranty item inspected when I first bought my car. They would'nt allow me in the garage area (insurance reasons, who are they kidding), I stood from a distance and watched their stupid mechanic just flip the uprights on the jack and crush divits in my sidesills. I yelled accross the garage and ran in towards the mechanic. They (manager and mechanic) acted like I was out of my mind for being concerned about the bottom of the car. First and last time any dealer will ever touch my car.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to find a dealer where they work on vipers and a technicain who cares about his work. Talk to the other club members see where they get their cars repaired and how they were treated.

The damaged exhaust sill is made out of aluminum, i am sure others would disagree, but i would want a new one if it was damaged. It is very easy to remove, but you have to find someone who will take the time to check if the paint is a dead on match.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brand new car, I'd be pissed also. If it's going to be a garage queen get it fixed. If it's going to be driven, you wont event notice those scratches after the first thousand miles.

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I am driving it ... and gonna. But thanks guys, for the opinions. You know they dog websites like these, saying every opinion means there are a million ... and all different, etc. Well that is true, but the way my Dad always taught me to treat people and respect your work, etc, reminds me of how you all view things, including these cars.

I love 'em ... and we were a Buick/GMC dealer for 40 years (my family). I think this car is the baddest ass on the road for the money. And in fact, I think it takes FAR MORE money to equal it, all things concerned. Even here in "look at me" So. FL, I see fewer of these than Lambo's or Ferrari's. And I run them all down - hehe. Kidding, but not entirely. Money does not make a driver be - hahaha.

Long live my 1 of 30 Viper Blue conv - it is gorgeous, fast, loud and means business. Sadly, 99.5+% only see it from an increasing distance ... from the rear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukrunr