ACR Calipers Sufficient For Road Course Use?

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard various reports of brake fade from road course use on ACR's. Has anyone determined if the weak link is the fluid, pads, rubber lines or the calipers themselves? Thanks.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My money is on the rubber lines and the pads. No way can street pads (even hybrid) hold up to the heat, or the rubber lines, if you push a car ******* the track.

Rednels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My guess based on previous expierence with factory stuff is the fluid and pads are always the best place to start, and they are pretty cheap. If you are still getting a lof of fade, try braided lines.

I usually by Hawk pads. I use the ugly factory rotors for tracking so my nice looking rotors dont get eaten up by the pads.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any stock car is going to fade its brake fluid, and generally its pads too. The SRT-10 Brembo rotors are kept on many full-time race cars. Generally, the most cost-effective upgrade path is fluid, ducting and then pads.

I ran Castrol SRF in my ACR, and faded the stock pads pretty easily. The Mintex F2Rs didn't fade.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard various reports of brake fade from road course use on ACR's. Has anyone determined if the weak link is the fluid, pads, rubber lines or the calipers themselves? Thanks.

ACR has StopTech sloted rotors and those should be just fine but my opinion is that the rubber lines for constant track use is an eventual risk. I have heard a lot of good things about the OEM pads. They dust like crazy but they do work well. I think lines and fluid would be a good change.

I havnt gotten any fade on mine using OEM pads. I have the stoptechs, steel lines and Motul 600. Maybe im not running hard enough but thats my experience thus far.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a precaution I upgraded the stock components on my 2008 convertible with (1) Stoptech slotted 2-piece rotors (functionally same as ACR rotors), (2) Stoptech stainless steel braided brake lines and (3) Motul RBF 600 brake fluid (factory fill on the competition coupe). I retained the stock pads however. After about 8 HPDE and other events last year absolutely no issues with fade or brake performance.

I got a great deal on the above components from Jon B at Partsrack who also provided good feedback about what was (and was not) worthwhile for upgrading the system for track use.

/Rich

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the fluid to something like Motul 600. I spoke with an engineer at Dodge once and told me the rubber lines are just as safe as a braided line. Some will claim a difference in "feel". The braided line is still rubber-the braided s/s is just a cover to protect the line itself from rubbing a component or getting a cut from flying debris-which I have never seen happen on a stock setup. The stock rubber lines PSI rating is higher than the seals in a caliper-so they won't bulge out as some have suggested...another component would fail first.

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change your fluid to a high boiling point dot 4 fluid such as Motul 600 or Castrol SRF. I use Mintex Comp Coupe pads up front and stock pads on the rears.

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the Gen 4, the ACR calipers and coupe calipers are the same. the rotors are 2 piece slotted in the ACR.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comp Coupe uses Gen 3 calipers and stock rotors! WC cars use two piece Brembo rotors but still retain the stock calipers. I believe gen 3 and 4 are the same calipers-at least they appear to be the same on both of our cars. Brake fluid like Motul 600 makes a hugh difference over the stock fluid.Maybe I don't go fast enough but I have never run out of brakes in my CC or stock gen 3 06 Coupe using stock components with the correct brake fluid.

Last edited:

Shadowman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the Gen 4, the ACR calipers and coupe calipers are the same. the rotors are 2 piece slotted in the ACR.

FYI the VOI 10 coupe also came with the ACR two piece Stop Tech rotors and the ACR wheels.

Shadowman