ACR / GT2 Harness Situation / Update

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just 'collected' the posts and info that I have, and I just had a pleasant chat w/ MOMO Motorsports manager. Here is my "personal" take......not a VCA take, D-C take, etc. This is a "JonB Take" on the situation.

1) Please do NOT contact Derrick or MOMO....the SCCA post was for buyers of after-market MOMO-Course belts, and NOT the ACR / GT2 belts. MOMO /Derrik has received over 50 E-mails from Viper Owners, as a result of the INCORRECT action post from SCCA. He is NOT a part of the Viper situation, nor is MOMO. (He did agree to keep me in the loop if I promised to post any pertinent info..I agreed.)

2) If you bought after-market MOMO-COURSE belts from a speedshop or supplier, you may take your MOMO harness to any MOMO dealer for exchange. This is NOT how the ACR - GT2 belt is being handled.

3) The vendor of the MOMO belts to Dodge is "Breed Technologies" via their distributor, MOMO-Course, who bought these belts from an Italian manufacturer, "LRF Racing SNC di F Radaelli & Co" of Italy.

4) Per a Chrysler Group press release, "Dodge Viper ACR and GT2 owners will be notified by mail." [ It does not say when ]

5) What is wrong? The webbing/harness? NO! The buckles? NO.
The anchors? NO. The stitching? NO. The belts undergo mandatory FIA testing every 2 years. The adjuster device failed follow-up testing under simulated accident loads, due to what is believed to be insufficient hardness of the adjuster bar.

My opinion is that, in an accident, this adjuster would deform upon initial impact, as it absorbed the contact energy. It could fail at this time. Then, any "rebound" of the occupant against that adjuster would then be potentially unprotected.

Therefore, quoting Chrysler Group: "Breed determined that the [ACR-GT2] belt be considered defective, and asked [ChryslerGroup] to implement a recall to replace those harnesses on Dodge Viper vehicles on their behalf."

6) Closing my opinion, this is NOT a "Fed deal" since the DOT belts are 100% ok. This appears to be a voluntary recall of the belts by BREED, inspired by failed FIA tests, and facilitated by ChryslerGroup.

Would I risk these belts in a track event? Nope. Not knowing and having seen what happens when Viper or other cars crash at speed. Many folks run track events in OEM inertia-reel belts. I personally believe this is MADNESS unless you stay below 70mph. I WOULD run these in autocross, augmented by OEm belts, until a replacement program is in place.

ACR-GT2 aside, I believe that most Viper owners have the means and motivation to provide themselves a GOOD harness for track events. You are driving a plastic car, capable of 150+mph at these events. SHEESH! Be safe out there.....

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent summation John. I agree with all the points you have made and I've decided to totally avoid high speed events until this matter is resolved. Thanks for putting the situation in perspective so clearly.

PS - I am confident that DC will make things right given the potential exposure should they choose do otherwise.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Per MOMO, that SCCA info incorrectly directed Viper ACR / GT2 owners to call or e-mail MOMO / Derrik for a possible resolution.

That info was NOT for Viper owners, but for MOMO-COURSE after-market belt buyers only.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, can anyone find that "ChryslerGroup" Piece?

I also saw it in Automotive News the week of 3/15......

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any GT2 or ACR owners had their belts replaced under warranty due to this problem yet? If so do they take the old belts when they replace them with a new set? I will most likely never use my GT2 on the track but would like to have the replacement set in the event I ever sell my GT2.

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being an after maket purchaser of the recalled MOMO belts I can report that my belts are still sitting in a box, in my garage with the original receipt ready to ship back to MOMO. Since March I've had one phone conversation and at least 4-5 emails with Derrick Schmitt. They keep saying they sent me some magical "call tags" which have never shown up. Derrick keeps saying he has to "track them down and find out where they went" before I send my belts back for a refund. He did tell me back in March they wouldn't replace my belts for the current season. Thanks MOMO for all your help.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, and you still drive that fast without good belts. Boy am I in trouble next year. Good job at yesterdays autocross. I guess you made the right choice by leaving Putnam and coming up for the club x-cross. It rained buckets of water down there yesterday. Seth filled me in on all the action. Good and some not so good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21