ACR or a GTS?

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering what to do. Current car is a 02 996 Turbo, black. Would like to get an ACR or a GTS both 2002. I have a choice. The GTS is red, no stripes. ACR graphite with white stripes.

I have owned a 99 silver with blue stripes. I'm looking for a weekend car. Any opinions on this? Will an ACR be worth more, more collectible? Will the GTS just be nicer in red then graphite. I have not seen many graphite ones. Is there a reason?
Any numbers on the 02 production numbers?
:)

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the long run the ACR will be worth more (probably REAL long run). Very few of us will be able to (or will want to) hold onto our cars for that amount of time. Total production of ACR's fall somewhere above 800 cars over the 4 year period. That is not alot of cars. The premium over a GTS is not that much so if you like the ACR better then I would say go for it. The ride is definitely stiffer and the wheels are a real pain to clean! You can find the production numbers on the site with a search. Both colors are nice but you had one of the nicest combos available IMHO. Silver and Blue looks smoking!

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACR is somewhat rare. Has cool wheels, cool harnesses. I would pay more today and down the road for an ACR. Graphite with white would look great! IMO

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You said you are looking for a weekend car. For me, a weekend car means something to take me to the track, lap for 100+ miles, and drive home. Therefore, I just bought a 2001 ACR about six weeks ago. If you are not buying your Viper for the purpose of driving on a road course, I would definitely recommend that you get the GTS. If you lived nearby I'd be happy to let you experience the ACR ride on local roads and freeways - I think that would convince you one way or another. Remember, the ACR doesn't have many features that separate it from the GTS.

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The brakes on my 2001 ACR were terrible. I just discovered that they are manufactured by Brembo, a name usually associated with awesome brakes (Porsches, the new SRT-10 & Comp Coupe) I replaced the pads with racing pads and still I was shocked when I got back into my Z06 and experienced just how much better those sad-looking Corvette brakes actually worked! The Stop Techs are going on this week!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it not true that ACR Vipers don't have air conditioning? So that might be something of a factor if you live in a hot and/or humid climate. I mean, if you plan on driving for enjoyment rather than serious racing. Just a thought.

You must be registered for see images

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are concerned about it being a collectable, you will want to keep it as close to stock as possible.

The only ACR's with white stripes were the 2002 Final Editions. The graphite stripes, if from the factory, would have been silver.

Wondering what to do. Current car is a 02 996 Turbo, black. Would like to get an ACR or a GTS both 2002. I have a choice. The GTS is red, no stripes. ACR graphite with white stripes.

:)

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACRs have aircon as an option. Some have it and some don't.

Thanks. I couldn't remember the facts on that. And couldn't find it by trying to look it up. Okay, so, if it has not been optioned with air conditioning, this might be an important factor.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're using it for street only, a regular GTS has a nicer ride. ACR more collectible, though. I agree that the BBS wheels are a [******] to clean!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the ACR because it comes with awesome looking wheels (that ARE a pain in the asss to clean)! The suspension is great, and they are pretty rare. I'd do the ACR for sure!

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Have had both GTS and ACR.....for my driving needs either car is adequate....the wheels are a pain as stated before, I have them chromed on my F.E. ACR....looks great....the graphite/silver striped ACR is one of 22 made....I also have one of those...left the wheels painted on it because it matches the stripes so well....to me the cars need the stripes to set them off....the graphite gets more comments than any other Viper I have owned except the steel gray, it was unusual also....I don't know that you really get your $$$ worth for the difference(GTS vs ACR), but there are very few ACR's out there....A/C and radio was an option on the ACR, but ALL of the ACR'S have it except a handfull.....most rare to find one with out the comfort group...you will love either car, but the ACR is just a little different....driving, the GTS has a better ride......

OP
OP
V

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the same car as what I'm looking at...

How do you like it...

Any numbers on the production numbers?

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the car. I try and drive it as often as possible. I had it at Viper Days in February and it performs like a dream. Unless you go real ********* into racing, it is a great car to drive everyday and track two or three times a year. If you are only interested in racing, get a GTS as cheap as possible because you will be replacing brakes, wheels, shocks, hood and doing lots of other mods.

:usa:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
If you are only interested in racing, get a GTS as cheap as possible because you will be replacing brakes, wheels, shocks, hood and doing lots of other mods.
I agree you'll want to replace the brakes which are the same on the GTS and ACR (I have StopTechs w/slotted rotors) I see you replaced rotors what about calipers, SS lines? and possibly shocks(I didn't...like the Konis and they are adjustable on GTS too), wheels are personal preference, hood...I don't understand replacing the hood...the ACR and GTS have the same hood. Did you replace your ACR hood?...with what?, other mods yes...more HP/TQ, Unitrax extreme duty halfshafts, under drive pully, alum flywheel, short shifter & shifter handle w/o rubber isolation, brake cooling deflectors, 285s on fronts better turn-in vs. 275s, upgrade oil pan w/ baffles/trap doors/acr filter adaptor, 5/6 point belts(TeamTech), aero aids, solar tint windows, etc.. :D

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, my point to the original post is that if you are serious about racing, get a lower price GTS and mod it (the extra $ for the ACR can pay for a lot of decent mods, hood reference was to a lighter CF, not my hood which is stock). But, if you want to drive and only race once or twice a year to learn what the car can do, then the ACR may be the way to go, especially if you plan on resale down the line. Personally, I plan to drive mine into the ground, the cars were built to be driven, not stored.

OP
OP
V

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay here's the deal. Just to throw another curve-ball at everyone.
The ACR they want $104 CAN $ A GTS is slightly less by a few thousand. They are both 02's. But the guys I'm dealing with just got in an SRT that is going for $134 CAN. I have a choice. [******] this is hard.
I decided to give up the 996 turbo. It nearly drives itself. Where as the Viper looks better I will miss carrying the kids in the back. But hey the wife has a C4 CAB so she'll just have to do that on the short family trip, right?
So now what?

SRT or the ACR. at least I know the GTS is eliminated.

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for a few thousand more canadian? definitely the acr over gts due to the reasons stated above. even if you really race the car then keep the stock parts and retain the collectibility (though perhaps as mentioned way down the road).

if you don't race the car then put EBC green pads on immediately. I need to clean my wheels every 200-600 miles depending on how hard i drive. the wheels really aren't that bad to clean from my perspective and they do look nice.

the acr's come stock without a/c, foglights, radio and antenna booster :^(. ~ 95% of all the buyers selected the comfort option.

As far as ride harshness, yeah i admit it but i could still drive 400 miles with a smile on face the whole way and not be too bent out of shape about it.

porsches are great cars, and no kidding intended, if you ever think you were to regularly drive your car in the rain i'd reconsider, the porsches are much more civilized on wet surfaces particularly the awd turbos. Another thing worth noting and it may just be me, but for some reason i have real trepidations parking my viper in all but the safest places. the cars really stand out and they attract attention, i'm not too sure it's always positive. most other cars including porsches and corvettes, being less in your face, seem so much more innocuous and less prone to being messed with.

now in relation to the srt-10. i'd love one myself. i love the looks and the performaces stats are incredible. i know its a bit more innocuous so would probably be a bit more stealthy but probably all the above still applies as to parking, wet weather driving etc. the 03 srt-10 is a first year and will be tweaked in the years ahead.

In summary, (me being of a very frugal nature right now) i'd still stick with the acr, if having the wind blow through your hair and the cost are not much of an issue, i'd be all over an srt-10.

best wishes with your decision. enjoy your cars!

Jason

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Bill P. at Woodhouse, there were only 70 or so solid red 2002 GTS's made. The Final Edition's totaled 360. (I think) So the GTS is far more rare than the ACR.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"FINAL EDITION: w/white stripe & black -326; w/white stripe ACR & black - 34"

Not all Finals were ACR's.

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The easy answer.
Consider the older Corvettes vs the newer Corvettes.
Which are collectible? The First and second generation body style are the most desirable. They shout out "CORVETTE" the most. Same with Vipers. I chose the 2001 GTS ACR (brand new) - just bought it six weeks ago, and have zero regrets. Go for the ACR!!! But be prepared for those springs every bump on the freeway. :)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Bill P. at Woodhouse, there were only 70 or so solid red 2002 GTS's made. The Final Edition's totaled 360. (I think) So the GTS is far more rare than the ACR.

Are you kidding? The GTS is more rare than the ACR? Not even close! What are you talking about? They only made 200 ACR's per year for four years in all colors. Mine is one of 22 solid reds for 99. They made red every single year, but the GTS's are far more plentiful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas