ACR or wait for a new one?

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm just wondering what you guys would do? I'm paying off my 06 FE this coming year. I been looking at getting a 09 or 10 ACR I really like the Snakeskin green. My situation is should I just wait and save up for a new when they come out or get the ACR? If I don't get the ACR I plan on modding mine for now to hold me over lol. I can save up enough to have a really good down payment if I choose to wait on a new one also. Financially waiting is the best option since I'd have to finance the whole amount of the ACR.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me I would wait for a new one...I think it will be worth the wait...

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
going by your financial situation I would say wait for a new one....if the fun factor was only involved I would sy get a new one.....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the one hand if you have to finance the entire car, you can't afford it.
On the other there are great deals to be had on new 09 ACR's now.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait for the new one. While the Gen. IV's are great cars...I'd keep your current one stock and save up whatever money you would have used to mod it to put towards the new one.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd wait to see the Gen V and what it costs before making a decision if I were in your situation. However, I am not sure there will be any new ACR's around when that happens, so you might be left with used ones at that point.

Of course, once you buy an ACR, you will not ever drive your FE again... :) (I traded an 06 vert for my SSG ACR and the performance difference is incredible, the ACR is really that good IMO)

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its at least 2 years away before you can buy a new Viper. Who knows what happens in two years. Live for today (as long as you have the funds).

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are paying off the 06 this year, why not trade it in on a new ACR (09 or 10) and finance the balance. You wil not be disappointed in the ACR. It is a phenomenal car with handling and performance unlike other Vipers IMO.
PAVenomRT/10

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2+ years is a long way off, one thing is for sure, there will not be any new 2009/2010 ACRs around in two years:

www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=9401

Over 313 Vipers have been sold so far this year (on track for 450 or so for the year), and with last year's total of 348 (worst year ever) the current inventory will be gone in two years.

As for financing, trade in your '06 and finance the balance, many credit unions still offering under 3% on 60-72 month notes...

Use that car for 2+ years, and when/if the new ACR arrives, you'll probably want to wait out the first year version for the bugs to be worked out of the powertrain and then trade in your 2010 ACR on that bad boy.

Win - Win - Win

I do not agree with attempting to "make your '06" into an ACR, I believe that would be a waste of money, you'll never get any "resell value" for anything you do and it won't be an ACR.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more consideration..the Gen V ACR will likely be a MUCH HIGHER PRICED car than the ACR you can buy today.

The Gen V ACR will likely be more than $120,000 and if they put a lot of carbon fiber into its "skin" that price goes to $200,000 or more.

Don't forget that in your considerations of what to do now.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Trade the paid-off 06 FE in on a new ACR. I did the exact same thing, and it was a GREAT decision. Best Viper I have ever owned. Adding an after-market aero package to the FE will likley DE-VALUE it.......so, even tho I sell ACR and aftermarket aero, DONT do that!

The Gen 5 2013 Viper, IF it stays on schedule, will be the first new Viper Generation on schedule...and it will cost more than the ACR. And may NOT have an ACR option immediately! By then your finances might be quite different, and you will have enjoyed the ACR for 2+ years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see the point of waiting when I say I could save a big down payment I could most likely pay one in cash or really close to it. I'd have some money to put down but only around 7 thousand or so. I really don't want to trade my current one since it was the color and everything I wanted since I seen one as a little boy it holds a special place in my heart lol. I'm paying off a lot of bills this year that I collected when I was just out of high school so that's the reason I will be more financially sound also this next year. Also the current economic stuff hasn't really affected my finances surprisingly. Also thanks for the input on everything guys I know some of you are older and have a more experience in this type of situation compared to me. I have a big problem I have no patience then usually end up kicking myself in the rear wishing I waited lol.

OP
OP
L

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know ViperJon that's why I said I would most likely be financing the whole thing lol. I was talking about the ACR with the 7 down to clear that part up lol.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to what Giles said at the VOI 11 unveiling, the ACR won't be coming out for at least a year after the coupe is introduced.

B&R

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy your paid off car the way it is and wait.

I second that.

I'm actually doing sort of the same thing before I pull the trigger on my next toy...waiting until the '08 is paid off then buy the '55 Chevy I've always wanted and have both!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that.

I'm actually doing sort of the same thing before I pull the trigger on my next toy...waiting until the '08 is paid off then buy the '55 Chevy I've always wanted and have both!

You've had the car for a while so the novelty may have worn a bit thin for you but you are still driving a more amazing car than 99.99% of everybody else on the road. I wouldn't do the ACR conversion on an FE car but if you must do something to keep things interesting then maybe a mod that maintains the identity and character of the car.

OP
OP
L

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not going to do the ACR aero on my car. If I keep mine I'll be doing some wheels, H/C/I, Suspension, and gears. I really like the 650 engine package from Bad Boyz garage

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, all that money you sink into mods on your FE will not make it worth any more than a stock version, so you might want to consider saving that money for a new ACR instead.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy it now who knows the the future will bring. If you always are waiting for the next great thing you will never have the enjoyment to driving one. In two years if you like the new one better trade your ACR on it but at least you will have 2 great years with the ACR. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any car out there.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the GenIV ACR is a fantastic car. If I was in the position to buy one now, I don't think I could resist.

OP
OP
L

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well hopefully within the month the FE will be gone. IF that happens I'll most likely see what I can do on the ACR. Everyone I've talked to said it would be a great idea. The wife agreed to my surprise but I have to get rid of mine mostly due to insurance being young kind of ***** on that part lol. Although I do like the idea of not having any bills for a few months lol. Like I told AbsolutHank my wife says I'm worse then her on big decisions lol.