acr plus mod from dodge

GMBRASCO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
does anyone know what the dealer does to get the extra 40hp. i read it on line that dodge offered a mod package at the time of sale that increased power to 500hp. i very curious because they said it's all bolt on. that's key for me. i'm not looking to rip the car apart.
thanks in advance.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No such thing

The ACR package was rated at 460hp, and the only difference regarding motor was air filters/smooth tubes.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the oil pan was also baffled on ACR's or am I missinformed? :dunno:

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I ran across a review of the ACR plus not too long ago, forget what year. They claimed it ran a 3.9 sec 0-60. Can't seem to find the review anymore though. Found it through a Google search looking for a plain old ACR review. You could probably find it with a bit of effort.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No such thing

The ACR package was rated at 460hp, and the only difference regarding motor was air filters/smooth tubes.

Don't forget the different oil filter adapter.....doesn't contribute to the power gain, but is a difference nonetheless. :D

Tripple-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can confirm, that there were several writings about this "ACR Plus" Package. Especially in 1999, when the ACR showed up.

Here on this link (scroll down to JUNE 18th).
http://www.allpar.com/i/jan-april99.html

Then in the Aug/Sept 1999 issue of SPORTS CAR INTERNATIONAL they mentioned the same "ACR Plus" Package as decribed in the link above.. SCI mentioned a.o. "...1,7:1 rockers; Racing headers; three-inch exhaust; New engine computer calibrated specifically for these engine and exhaust changes, the result of wich is an additional 56hp and 41lb/ft of torque..." :eater:

They even say it would cost $8647.00 !! coming direct from Mopar Performance Parts...

Someone here who knows more about this? :confused:

OP
OP
G

GMBRASCO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i guess its not a common upgrade, if anyone knows anyone or dealer that would perform this upgrade please pm me. it would be nice to add a plus sticker after my acr one. thanks guys, this is a great forum.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess its not a common upgrade, if anyone knows anyone or dealer that would perform this upgrade please pm me. it would be nice to add a plus sticker after my acr one. thanks guys, this is a great forum.

I'll bet with the exception of two or three, you couldn't find a dealership in the country that has ever heard of an ACR+ or knows how to 'make one'. Since it doesn't seem to be an 'official' Dodge product release, modifying an ACR with the mods listed in the article wouldn't make it any more valuable outside of the value of the mods themselves.

My guess anyway...take it for what it's worth.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gosh....someone remembers or searched a post I did. KCOBEAN, I owe you a drink at the next crabdeck.

You should get some Google hits if you just put the search in.

OP
OP
G

GMBRASCO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did the acr's come standard with vents in place of the fog lights. i have these cheap plactic blank's over the openings. and i read on one of the above links that vents replaced driving lights on the acr's. hope i didnt buy a fake lol.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did the acr's come standard with vents in place of the fog lights. i have these cheap plactic blank's over the openings. and i read on one of the above links that vents replaced driving lights on the acr's. hope i didnt buy a fake lol.

The ACRs came with the black plates in the fog-light holes (probably the 'cheap plastic blanks' you're referring to). No ACR was ever produced with vents that I'm aware of.

My understanding from my readings here is that if you open the holes up it does very little good as far as cooling the front brakes because the holes become high-pressure areas at speed (in otherwords, no or very little air flows through them).

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the oil pan was also baffled on ACR's or am I missinformed? :dunno:
You are correct, mine is, I think their are allot of things in that car that were never mentioned, like if you have the air and radio on and go full throttle its turns all accesorries off to have full power, mine does this, I was told only the ACR's do this, mine is a 99

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I ran across a review of the ACR plus not too long ago, forget what year. They claimed it ran a 3.9 sec 0-60. Can't seem to find the review anymore though. Found it through a Google search looking for a plain old ACR review. You could probably find it with a bit of effort.
I read dodges spec's for that car was 1/4 11.9 at 120, and top speed 192, I have to find that link but these were from dodge not a rag, the specs for gts's were 12.4 at 118 top speed 185. I seen other specs that showed different 1/4 times but same top speed, kind of confuses me, and we are talking ACR, not GTS-R, even my X-box 360 game project gothem has an ACR on there that says 192 top speed, it funny , but those Video games are more on than the some of the magazines. Given both cars have the same 3.07 gear, I would think that 6 mph top speed, would + much more than 10 hp, I really dont care about factory spec's cause I don't leave my cars stock anyway, but it does have me curious.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct, mine is, I think their are allot of things in that car that were never mentioned, like if you have the air and radio on and go full throttle its turns all accesorries off to have full power, mine does this, I was told only the ACR's do this, mine is a 99

Others will chime in I'm sure, but I'm almost positive that the pan is baffled in the regular GTS as well, at least in the years the ACR was available.

Your radio turns off when you go WOT? Weird. Again, I'm pretty certain that there is no special circuitry to accomplish this in the ACR. The comfort package is merely the addition of the radio and the A/C. Aside from the suspension, wheels, tubes and filters, 5-point harnesses and badging, the only other difference in the ACR is oil filter adapter, which does not shut off oil flow to the oil cooler at low speeds to increase A/C efficiency like the GTS's does.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 years ago I bought a brochere for the ACR plus. I finally found the the mopar performance insert on the ACR plus. I don't have a scanner, the insert is two pages, front and back, a silver/blue ACR on the front and a description on the back. If I'm reading this correctly it's form # 2136 4994 dated 1999.

Viper ACR plus

We can't leave well enought alone because "well enough" is never good enough for Mopar Performance parts.

If the Dodge Viper GTS and RT/10 are among the most recognizable sports cars on the planet, and the Viper ACR coupe is Team Viper's factory-built race car for the street, then the ACR plus by Mopar Performance Parts is how the tough get tougher.

And now you can build the ACR-plus yourself!

Take a look at the special and ACR derived Mopar Perfromance Parts (right) and see an even higher-performance future in store for you and your viper. This package produces an additional 56 bhp and 41 ft-lb torque. Mopar Performance parts are designed to deliver maximum performance improvements at a reasonable price.

On the right are the following items listed with description, parts number and price:

Air filter elements
Race Calibrated Engine controller
High Performance oil pan
Race rocker arm assembly
smooth air inlet hoses
high-performance race exhaust system
GTS and RT/10 race header
Front and Rear shock assemblies
ring and pinion gear set.

It notes that the air filters, air inlet hoses and shcoks and springs are all ACR production pieces. the cost for all these parts is $16,933.25

If you, like I have an ACR, then an ACR plus adds the controller, oil pan, rocker arm, exhaust, headers and the ring and pinion.

These were all parts from Mopar performance, not a factory built car. I've never come across a car that said it was built this way by a dealer as an ACR plus.

Mike

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 years ago I bought a brochere for the ACR plus. I finally found the the mopar performance insert on the ACR plus. I don't have a scanner, the insert is two pages, front and back, a silver/blue ACR on the front and a description on the back. If I'm reading this correctly it's form # 2136 4994 dated 1999.

Viper ACR plus

We can't leave well enought alone because "well enough" is never good enough for Mopar Performance parts.

If the Dodge Viper GTS and RT/10 are among the most recognizable sports cars on the planet, and the Viper ACR coupe is Team Viper's factory-built race car for the street, then the ACR plus by Mopar Performance Parts is how the tough get tougher.

And now you can build the ACR-plus yourself!

Take a look at the special and ACR derived Mopar Perfromance Parts (right) and see an even higher-performance future in store for you and your viper. This package produces an additional 56 bhp and 41 ft-lb torque. Mopar Performance parts are designed to deliver maximum performance improvements at a reasonable price.

On the right are the following items listed with description, parts number and price:

Air filter elements
Race Calibrated Engine controller
High Performance oil pan
Race rocker arm assembly
smooth air inlet hoses
high-performance race exhaust system
GTS and RT/10 race header
Front and Rear shock assemblies
ring and pinion gear set.

It notes that the air filters, air inlet hoses and shcoks and springs are all ACR production pieces. the cost for all these parts is $16,933.25

If you, like I have an ACR, then an ACR plus adds the controller, oil pan, rocker arm, exhaust, headers and the ring and pinion.

These were all parts from Mopar performance, not a factory built car. I've never come across a car that said it was built this way by a dealer as an ACR plus.

Mike

That's awesome Mike! That's the most comprehensive information I've seen on the ACR+ to date.....

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kcobean, thanks, I saw the flyer on e-bay 4-5 years ago, never had heard of the "plus" until I saw it. decided to pay the $5.00 or so and find out how to make one. Send me a PM with your address and I'll make you a copy.

Stand corrected on the front page, it's a silver/blue GTS, and, it's a '98 with the older 5 spokes and clear covers on the fogs

FE+ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Others will chime in I'm sure, but I'm almost positive that the pan is baffled in the regular GTS as well, at least in the years the ACR was available.

Your radio turns off when you go WOT? Weird. Again, I'm pretty certain that there is no special circuitry to accomplish this in the ACR. The comfort package is merely the addition of the radio and the A/C. Aside from the suspension, wheels, tubes and filters, 5-point harnesses and badging, the only other difference in the ACR is oil filter adapter, which does not shut off oil flow to the oil cooler at low speeds to increase A/C efficiency like the GTS's does.

From the theviperregistry:

American Club Racer (ACR) Model introduced - spring 1999 introduction
Homologated for club racing
Smooth intake tubes and K&N air filters (Rated at 460 HP)
Special ACR Badging and decals
Black interior only
Racing harnesses with ACR Logo
18" BBS Wheels
Koni Adjustable Shocks
Different Springs
Delete Fog lights, Radio (and antenna booster) and A/C
Optional comfort group option
Add Radio (and antenna booster)
Add A/C

In 2000 these were added/changed:
10 qt performance oil pan
Dynamic Suspensions adjustable monotube shock absorbers
New nameplate
Spring rates changed 500 lb/in F and 1100 lb/in R at midyear

--note special oil pan since 2000

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine wise, the only differences between an ACR and regular Viper are the smooth tubes, K&N filters and the oil cooler adaptor, that's it.
The baffled oil pan is exactly the same.
The A/C clutch do turn off at WOT ( like most other cars) but,the lack of vents airflow at WOT is due to a badly designed system ( low vaccum at WOT close the vaccum operated doors,a $10 fix),as for the radio,your car have a problem, that's not normal.

Luc 00GTS

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine wise, the only differences between an ACR and regular Viper are the smooth tubes, K&N filters and the oil cooler adaptor, that's it.
The baffled oil pan is exactly the same.
The A/C clutch do turn off at WOT ( like most other cars) but,the lack of vents airflow at WOT is due to a badly designed system ( low vaccum at WOT close the vaccum operated doors,a $10 fix),as for the radio,your car have a problem, that's not normal.

Luc 00GTS
That makes sense, but my radio works fine, I dont know, what I do know is that my oil pan is different, also do all late model Vipers shut down fuel delivery if you go past 6000 rpm's?(it drops right on its face) mine does, i was curious. I also dont understand why it was factory rated to have a 192mph top speed, when the standard GTS were rated 185mph, maybe just marketing? 10 hp doesnt give you 7 more mph on the top end.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'll put it out there. Probably no one knows the ACR better then I do. There I said it. I also owned one from new to 60k miles before I sold it. I did almost every mod imaginable, and I have been in every since part of it, from suspension to engine, to differential to eletctical and beyond.

I too ORIGINALLY bought my Viper ACR thinking it had all those additiona parts. And was even told so by the Dealership (Like an ACR only header).. etc.

Reality is there was NO special ACR Oil Pan. Chances are they made that 2000 one and decided it was best to be used on all the cars, not just the ACR, so every car since 2000 got it, and ones before it did not. It is NOT an ACR pan. If yours is baffled any more then any oem one, its because someone addeda baffle kit.

Next, if your radio turns off at WOT or any other time without YOU turning it off through normal means, then you have an issue. No radio turn off at wot is supposed to occur on the ANY vipers.. including ACRs. (unless you have no radio, then its always off at wot ;-)

Next, the A/C system.. is POORLY designed. It most certainly does NOT turn off the clutch at wot. Wanna contest that? I'll put money where my mouth is. If you have a oem, fully functioning system, go take it to a dyno. Do a dyno run with the a/C OFF and then do it with the A/C ON and when you see the numbers, you will see the A/C one is DOWN on power. What everyone seems to be confused about is that our vent system in the A/C system is VACUUM controlled, so when you go WOT, guess how much vacuum you have? NOT MUCH.. so the vents go to normal Air position (or closed) and NO AC comes through, as soon as you let off the throttle, vacuum returns and the vent baffles go right to where they should so you can get A/C. Ever notice how the A/C is ice cold as soon as you let off???? Do you really think the A/C compressor got up to speed that quickly? Certainly it did not, its been runnign the whole time, your just finally getting the air that passed over it into the car once the vacumm returned.

Final proof.. There is a simple fix for this issue, you put a 1 way vacuum valve in line. Then when you go WOT, the A/C venting system STILL has a vacuum in it, and you still get ICE cold air, even when going wot !! That fix is well publicized on this forum.

All Vipers do fuel cut off (I believe its actually at 6200). Thats not an ACR specific thing.

The supposed increase in top speed comes from a couple of things, LIGHTER WEIGHT (ACRs do weigh less, especially since ACRs are the ONLY ones that can come with factory delete of radio, and AC, saving a decent amount of weight), and supposedly 10 more hp from the smooth tubes and K&N Filters. So I bet a fully optioned out ACR is NOT what they tested at 192 mph. It was the completely deleted accessories one. Which means it had more hp, and less weight then a stock Viper.

But most certainly it was marketing at its finest. I doubt even a stripped out ACR did 7 mph more then a regular GTS.

What other ACR questions you guys have ?

Jon

PS. This wasnt direct at Trainer Dave per say. So dont take it like I'm arguing with you. Just take it as me stomping out miss information !!

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'll put it out there. Probably no one knows the ACR better then I do. There I said it. I also owned one from new to 60k miles before I sold it. I did almost every mod imaginable, and I have been in every since part of it, from suspension to engine, to differential to eletctical and beyond.

I too ORIGINALLY bought my Viper ACR thinking it had all those additiona parts. And was even told so by the Dealership (Like an ACR only header).. etc.

Reality is there was NO special ACR Oil Pan. Chances are they made that 2000 one and decided it was best to be used on all the cars, not just the ACR, so every car since 2000 got it, and ones before it did not. It is NOT an ACR pan. If yours is baffled any more then any oem one, its because someone addeda baffle kit.

Next, if your radio turns off at WOT or any other time without YOU turning it off through normal means, then you have an issue. No radio turn off at wot is supposed to occur on the ANY vipers.. including ACRs. (unless you have no radio, then its always off at wot ;-)

Next, the A/C system.. is POORLY designed. It most certainly does NOT turn off the clutch at wot. Wanna contest that? I'll put money where my mouth is. If you have a oem, fully functioning system, go take it to a dyno. Do a dyno run with the a/C OFF and then do it with the A/C ON and when you see the numbers, you will see the A/C one is DOWN on power. What everyone seems to be confused about is that our vent system in the A/C system is VACUUM controlled, so when you go WOT, guess how much vacuum you have? NOT MUCH.. so the vents go to normal Air position (or closed) and NO AC comes through, as soon as you let off the throttle, vacuum returns and the vent baffles go right to where they should so you can get A/C. Ever notice how the A/C is ice cold as soon as you let off???? Do you really think the A/C compressor got up to speed that quickly? Certainly it did not, its been runnign the whole time, your just finally getting the air that passed over it into the car once the vacumm returned.

Final proof.. There is a simple fix for this issue, you put a 1 way vacuum valve in line. Then when you go WOT, the A/C venting system STILL has a vacuum in it, and you still get ICE cold air, even when going wot !! That fix is well publicized on this forum.

All Vipers do fuel cut off (I believe its actually at 6200). Thats not an ACR specific thing.

The supposed increase in top speed comes from a couple of things, LIGHTER WEIGHT (ACRs do weigh less, especially since ACRs are the ONLY ones that can come with factory delete of radio, and AC, saving a decent amount of weight), and supposedly 10 more hp from the smooth tubes and K&N Filters. So I bet a fully optioned out ACR is NOT what they tested at 192 mph. It was the completely deleted accessories one. Which means it had more hp, and less weight then a stock Viper.

But most certainly it was marketing at its finest. I doubt even a stripped out ACR did 7 mph more then a regular GTS.

What other ACR questions you guys have ?

Jon

PS. This wasnt direct at Trainer Dave per say. So dont take it like I'm arguing with you. Just take it as me stomping out miss information !!
Thanks Jon, I know all your info is dead on, I was worried about the smell of raw gas every time I got on it until you educated me about the cam, you saved me probably a $200 dollar service visit. There is allot of miss-info out there, I'm just trying to learn more about my car. You have helped allot. P.S I called Dodge about my radio thing at WOT, they wanted my Vin number. After doing research on the car they said I was the only ACR in the world that had this special feature, when I go WOT the radio goes off and sends a signal to a secret Flux compacitor giving me 700,0000,000,000,000 more hp and the ability to travel though time. Actually that sounds better than just saying I probably just have a bad ground:( The 192 top end speed probably applies to all Gts's if it actually did that,I figured it was just marketing, they needed it for the extra 10g's they were charging. I do think the wheels look way better, and the harness's look awesome. They are rare, but then again aren't all Vipers?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang