ACR purchasers - drive or store?

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a recent discussion with another member, I began to wonder - will the new ACR's be driven or stored?
I'm sure most will shout out that they are meant to be driven and they will drive the wheels off of them, however, I would be willing to bet that 50% of the cars that are built will get rolled right into garages or museums. Think about it, with the Connor plant closing and all of the changes at dodge, combined with what will be a low production #, many people will be buying these cars as show pieces/collectors items.

It's a bet I would be willing to take if I had the money. It would be hard not to drive it but it would be smart call. If dodge stops production, I would guess that the value of these cars would immediately go up by 50% or more.

I was wondering what percentage of the members will fess up to buying the car, knowing that they will keep it under 1k miles.

ADMIN. EDIT CORRECTION..The Conner plant is NOT closing. Chrysler reserved the RIGHT to close it at some future time in the UAW contract. As they did with a very large number of their plants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With so few being made, driving them won't make them any less rare. I'd still buy a high mileage ZL-1 69 Camaro if I could find one in my budget.

Driving them is much different than tracking them, I wouldn't worry about road mileage unless it had over 50K miles.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren,Jay Lenno etc. Drive their cars .At Pebble Beach etc or one of the auctions,cars are driven in.That is the what they were created for.Not to sit with rotting rubber and leather.Corroding metals and putrid fluids. GTS Bruce

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 43 000 miles on my rare ACR.....if I buy a 2008 I will drive my insurance allowed 4000 miles a year with a smile on my face!!

Regards,
Aaron

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
correction: a used Ferrari. Miss that 1st year depreciation ;)

Besides, for the money we spent on these Vipers, there are 100s of better investment vehicles out there. Old musclecars etc...

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will be driven mostly, on streets. And then when it rains and the car starts hydroplaning from the tread on the tires.......watch out.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised that not one person will admit that they are going to buy it and not drive it. Considering how many of the vipers have less than 10k miles, it's a fact that at least 50% of the cars barely see the streets. When I bought my car last year it was 4 years old and had 1,500 miles. Furthermore, I know of at least 4 vipers in my direct area that have less than 1,000 miles.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driven and tracked. I don't see the point (unless I had loads of FU money) in buying this ACR only to gawk at it, or any model viper for that matter. I'd only be depriving myself from the joy of driving a Viper. What's the point in that? As far as value...I seriously doubt the ACR is going to be worth more than what I will pay for it during my lifetime, its not an investment vehicale. Its an investment in the joy of driving.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracked every chance I get! :drive: :2tu:

Blessed to live in SoCal, where we have many great tracks and events, year round!

Blessed also to have a "Primo Track Rat" as our local VCA chapter President!

As oppose to a CC, I would also be able to drive it to the track.

I call this "Win-Win".

Phil :D

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You really have to ask yourself a really important question. When you look at an 1969 Muscle Car, are you really looking to see how many miles it has on it? Absolutely not! You want to see a solid frame, running engine with no problems and matching numbers. After that everything else is small potatoe's. Let's face the facts: The Viper is going to decline in value the first 10 years after it rolls off the lot. After that it will hold its value steady for about 5 years. Then it will start to gain value as inflation increase's and the demand for that kind of vehicle increase's.
To be perfectly honest, the whole reason you saw muscle cars bloom in price is because most of the high horse power cars were gone in the 80's and early 90's. Even the Corvette in the 80's was weak in the horsepower region. Now we are definately in a horse power era again and although the muscle cars of the 60's still retain value, a huge chunk of their possible buyers are now looking at new muscle cars instead.
What will happen in 10 years from now? Who knows! But cars are just bad investments because they **** up money and are not guarenteed to make anything!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, If you want to buy a Viper for an investment. Your best bet is to wait 2 or 3 years, buy one that have very low miles for $25k below what the sticker price is.
Then store it if that's your choice. You'll have a much better chance of actually gaining some value that way in the long term.
Even the ACRs will sell at a large discount after they are driven a couple thousand miles and a could years go by.

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many ACR's will be produced? What is the MSRP? Will they be produced throughout the year? I am interested in one.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would hope that most will drive the ACR as much as possible... this is good two ways, one folks actually get to enjoy their cars, and two - the one or two people that bubble store their near zero mile cars for 30 years will only make money if everyone else USES theirs. That how the prices on the musclecars had run up so high... guys used to beat the crap out of them, and most of them were destroyed over the decades.

That's also the reason you don't really see even the earliest vipers appreciating... even the folks that drive them hard aren't cutting them up for mini-tubs and slicks or welding in ridiculous cages... (okay there are a few like that)

All of this is even more reason to run the crud out of the cars! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine