ACR Shocks / Ride Height / Alignment ???

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of ACR shocks (Koni's with Hyperco springs) and I'm in the process of installing them on my GTS. Here's a few questions that I have.....

I measured the stock ride height which is 4.75 inches at the fronts and 5.25 inches at the rears, measured from the ground to the bottom of the frame rails. Would it make sense to match these stock ride heights so I won't need to get it aligned, or are there more optimum ride heights that I should shoot for, and then go for an alignment?

I use it for mostly street driving so I don't want to go to an extreme, but I plan to start tracking it and drag racing so I would like a good compromise. I could care less about the bling factor of lowering, but if it adds performance, I'd like to know.

After doing a search, I found a few threads with alignment specs but I'm not sure what would be appropriate. Since I am mostly street driving, is the factory spec the way to go?

Can someone with adjustable Koni's tell me about how much thread is left between the bottom lock nuts and the end of the threads so I can ballpark the ride height?

And last but not least, about how much should I expect to spend for an alignment, and does anyone have any recommendations for alignment shops in the Phoenix area?

Thanks a bunch!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call Fat Albert for the alignment. Not sure if he does them himself, but if not he will have a preferred vendor. Couldn't find his number but here is one I located via google: 602-402-7692

V10BAT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hi i have just finished installing a set of "fully adjustable" billit shocks with hyperco springs.i didnt know were to begin with ride hight settings,so i set them on the lowest setting.lock ring on the last thread,i thought i could then raise it up to 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower than my stock set up,only to find the car is aprox 1/2 higher than my stock numbers!and yes i have driven the car 20 miles or so ,in the hope it would settle. but it didnt.the car seems a lot smoother so i dont think the spring rate is to high.somethings not right. shorter springs perhapes?.no adjustment left!point is check out your shocks and springs to see if you have got any ride height adjustment.hope this helps.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jim, check your email, we'll be having another "cool car" meet/drive to Globe (curvy roads) on Sun 2/20/05, perfect time to test those suspension mods! Among the cars coming is a cool Lambo Gallardo, Vipers, high HP Supras, etc.

Phoenix, you should come out and joins us.

As far as an alignment shop, I like Jack's Alignment in PHX, they do alignment the old fashioned way (by hand, no computers) and they do a very good job.