ACR Shocks

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge should have gone with Penske, but Dynamic was making strong concessions to them with the French-run GTS-R program. A front-line racecar will probably rebuild and revalve shocks at least twice per race meeting, so they never run long enough to start leaking. I've had Penskes on my car for about 4 years and never had an oil leak or nitrogen pressure loss. The quality of the Dynamic units on the ACR has been abysmal. Plus, they're oversprung and/or under-damped.

...but they look good... :rolleyes:

Sadly and this one is just rumor, I heard they were on the cars, because Dodge bought the company and they tried to get them to work, they even wanted to put them on the comp coupe, but eventually went with motons, becuase of such problems getting them dialed-in correctly.

I'd definetly take them over a stock set of shocks.. no doubt about it..but they pale in comparison to the aftermarket ones availabale.

Jon

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said Jon, anyway I just got back from the dealer. Sorry I was wrong on the price, the shocks can be had currently for $3,210 each for the fronts. Anyway they just ordered one, the parts gal as well as the service manager were shocked at the price. Pun intended. Max Care Warranty is the only way to go.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge should have gone with Penske, but Dynamic was making strong concessions to them with the French-run GTS-R program. A front-line racecar will probably rebuild and revalve shocks at least twice per race meeting, so they never run long enough to start leaking. I've had Penskes on my car for about 4 years and never had an oil leak or nitrogen pressure loss. The quality of the Dynamic units on the ACR has been abysmal. Plus, they're oversprung and/or under-damped.

...but they look good... :rolleyes:

Absolutely correct about the springs. Specifically, the rear spring that come with the Dynamic shocks. By Jon B's suggestion, I went with hyperco springs on the rear and it made a world of difference. They have a habit of leaking but they are good shocks. Most people claim that adjusting them is some kind of voodoo but, in fact, they're a piece a cake to adjust.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Koni shocks can be rebuilt by either:
http://www.koni-na.com/
http://www.truechoice.com/

If I'm not mistaken, the Dynamic brand is not rebuildable. If a Koni shock can't be rebuilt, replacement is around $900 from either Koni or True Choice.

Shocks are NOT covered under "extended" warranty, but it may be covered under the factory warranty.

Synfull - adjusting is done by rotating the adjustment discs, located in the window of the top eye (top portion of the shocks). You only need a steel pin, a small drill bit works fine. The upper disc is for Bump (compression), and the lower disc is for rebound (extension) adjustment. Rotate the discs according to the markings on the top eye. It is marked with plus and minus signs. You should hear it click when you're making the adjustments (never use excessive force). The discs need to be rotated 180 degrees to go from minimum to maximum adjustment (there's a total of 7-8 adjustments I believe).

Wow.. so much wrong information in 1 post (adjustment info is prob right).

1.Dynamic is rebuildable, and if you go to their website, they will give you the only US location allowed to service them.
2.The shocks ARE covered in extended warranty, since I am already at 58k miles and I had one changed last month, I have BEEN in my extended Max Care warranty for a while now.

Jon

"Wow.. so much wrong information in 1 post (adjustment info is prob right)."
That's why I said "If I'm not mistaken..." about the Dynamic brand, because I wasn't sure. :rolleyes:

About the shocks being covered under extended warranty, let me know which dealer you had that done, so I can call them. Maybe they can assist me in getting mine replaced. When I called Chuck Tator, he said, "shocks are not covered".

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Koni shocks can be rebuilt by either:
http://www.koni-na.com/
http://www.truechoice.com/

If I'm not mistaken, the Dynamic brand is not rebuildable. If a Koni shock can't be rebuilt, replacement is around $900 from either Koni or True Choice.

Shocks are NOT covered under "extended" warranty, but it may be covered under the factory warranty.

Synfull - adjusting is done by rotating the adjustment discs, located in the window of the top eye (top portion of the shocks). You only need a steel pin, a small drill bit works fine. The upper disc is for Bump (compression), and the lower disc is for rebound (extension) adjustment. Rotate the discs according to the markings on the top eye. It is marked with plus and minus signs. You should hear it click when you're making the adjustments (never use excessive force). The discs need to be rotated 180 degrees to go from minimum to maximum adjustment (there's a total of 7-8 adjustments I believe).

Wow.. so much wrong information in 1 post (adjustment info is prob right).

1.Dynamic is rebuildable, and if you go to their website, they will give you the only US location allowed to service them.
2.The shocks ARE covered in extended warranty, since I am already at 58k miles and I had one changed last month, I have BEEN in my extended Max Care warranty for a while now.

Jon

"Wow.. so much wrong information in 1 post (adjustment info is prob right)."
That's why I said "If I'm not mistaken..." about the Dynamic brand, because I wasn't sure. :rolleyes:

About the shocks being covered under extended warranty, let me know which dealer you had that done, so I can call them. Maybe they can assist me in getting mine replaced. When I called Chuck Tator, he said, "shocks are not covered".

Call Tator man again, HE was the original guy who told me under MAX CARE that they were, then sure enough, when I went to my local and FAVORITE dealership HENDRICK DODGE IN CARY NC ...I got them replaced :)

Jon

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been a lot of confusion about the Maxcare coverage on the shock bodys and not by us! DCSC were covering them and they didn't for two years and now they do?? I've had shock claims denied and I've had claims paid? I guess it matters what time of the Month it is!! :confused: :bonker:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness