ACR Stoptech rotor Torque settings

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have the torque settings for the bolts which hold the rotor to the hat....I have all of mine off the car and want to clean them throughly. I want to also polish the hats and its hard to do with the rotors on them....

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Art, while I don't have the link on this PDA, I would suggest that you try the StopTech site...and go through it carefully...might find answer.

There is an amazing amount of info there. I know as I had a friend who was inclined to call me after he disassembled his brakes...not that I haven't done the same once or twice!!

I MAY have the cell number of one of their engineers tucked away.

also:

"For technical support questions regarding aStopTech product you already own, please contact StopTech Product Support at +1 310 218 1091 or [email protected]

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thks all.....for future reference they are 72 in/lb (6 ft/lb.)......one drop of high temp loctite recommended per bolt.....

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The torque specs for the aluminum manifold is higher at 10 ft lbs.

Can that possibly be correct? 6 Ft/Lbs is like finger tight. I have similar rotors on an old Mustang from SSB and their torque specs are 60 ft/Lbs per bolt.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Though I can't be sure if this info is the same for all of their two piece rotors, here is what I found at the STOPTECH site:
"STOPTECH ROTOR REPLACEMENT / DRIVE PIN INSTALLATION GUIDE

1. Take rotor and hat assemblies off the vehicle. 2. Remove the Allen bolts from the drive pins with a 4mm Allen key. A T-handle works very well. Be sure end of Allen wrench is not rounded.
- The Loctite applied at the factory holds very tightly, and occasionally a bolt may strip. Heat may be cautiously used to soften the Loctite. In extreme cases, it may be necessary to use a vise grip to grab the head of the bolt and get it broken loose.
If using existing drive pins, leave them installed in the hat and go to step #5.
Note- StopTech recommends replacing pins at the time of rotor replacement, especially if severe driving conditions have been encountered.
Drive pins come in 2 lengths. The pin should slightly protrude past the rotor, not be recessed or sticking out beyond the rotor more than approximately 0.006"-0.008".
3. Remove drive pins from hat. It may be necessary to tap out some pins. If it's really tight, screw one of the old bolts into the drive pin from the inside of the hat and tap the pin out by hitting the bolt head. Be careful not to drive the head of the bolt into the hole in the hat. A drop of light oil on the outside of the pin body may help if it's really tight.
4. Install new pins into hat. They should slide in, but light tapping is not uncommon. Be sure flat on pin aligns with the hat as before.
5. Wash new rotors per instructions in the Installation & Break-in Procedure included with your new rotors.
6. If possible, stand rotor vertically. A small vise works well to hold the rotor in place.
7. Pre-install washers onto bolts. The convex side of the washer goes against the bolt head. See illustration.
8. Place the hat w/ drive pins onto the rotor and install the bolts until the washer just touches the rotor, leaving the bolt slightly loose. Be sure pins are properly seated as you tighten each bolt. If the pins are not clocked properly against the hat it may cause damage.
9. After loosely installing all bolts, lay the rotor hat side up on a flat surface. Place 1 drop of 290 Loctite in the threads of each drive pin. This Loctite is designed to "wick" into the threads and should NOT be applied to the bolts before installation.
10. Tighten the bolts to 72 in/lb (6 ft/lb.) You may get a false tightness as the washer starts to collapse, be sure to tighten past the washer flattening out then torque to the specified value.
11. Dab up excess Loctite with a rag or paper towel.
12. Rotors can immediately be installed on the vehicle and bedded in.
NEW ROTORS MUST BE BEDDED IN. If unsure of proper break-in procedure, please contact our Customer Service Department.
If you have any questions about rotor installation or any brake related issues, please call
StopTech Customer Service at 310-325-4799 X 105 or e-mail: [email protected]
StopTech 3541-A Lomita Blvd. Torrance, CA 90505
Voice: 310-325-4799 Fax: 310-325-6627

OP
OP
A

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The aluminum allen bolts which fit into the guide pins are very fragile...you can easily strip the heads taking them off if one is not careful (4mm allen head bit); going to replace them all...there is bound to be some tolerance to allow for expansion under intense heat....probably why the torque settings appear low...when I call to order the bolts, I will make double sure....

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just replaced two sets of four rotor rings (from Parts Rack) and the above instructions are correct.

Did not have any issues with disassembly and both cars had track events on them, one had about 20 weekends, the other 8 weekends.

Make sure you fully compress the washers on the drive pins (small allen head bolts).

Easy job.

Dan

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this info guys! I have a new set of rings in the garage waiting for a snowy winter day to get installed.

Greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang