Acr Wheels Brake Dust

VIPER650R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whats The Best Stuff To Use To Clean Brake Dust From Acr Wheels? They Are A Pain To Clean. Looking For Some Suggestions.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES they are a total pain to clean. I've had ok luck with off the shelf wheel cleaners then spraying them down with water. In the garage though it get very messy.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off road motorcycles use something called Mud-Off. It's applied first, and allows the mud and dirt to be easily hosed off later. Might work for dust?

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chrome wheels are easier to clean, not harder. trust me and ask anybody who has had reg ACR wheels. EBC green pads help with brake dust, but they still are a b*tch to clean and do still get dirty. but hey, at least they look great (a LOT better than reg Gen II wheels)

Reaction score
The real problem with brake dust is that it is very corosive and if left on the wheel for any length of time will etch the finish no matter what it is. The trick is to dust it off often and then wash more often. Once the dust has a chance to etch it is harder to remove the embeded dust and shine up the wheel.
I know the ACR wheels are mesh and ard to "dust" but if you have an old California duster around you can twist brush over the spokes and get the major dust off the center and the rim, then se a rag on your finger to touch up between the spokes. This takes about 10 min. quite a bit less than scrubbing and polishing if left for a while!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elbow grease. Wheels so expensive that I don't want to risk it. Too many horror stories on the board.

I agree. Poorboys Spray and Rinse is a very good wheel cleaner for painted wheels but I am not sure I would risk it on ACR wheels. I keep all of my wheels well Zaino'd so they clean right up with Z7 soap and water.

My question is how to you guys get the inside of the ACR wheels clean without removing them? :dunno:

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why more so with chrome?
IMHO the dust shows up against the chrome, you can't touch them without everything showing and the expectation is that they gleam. My wheels are not completely chromed; just the outer surface from the wheel ridge out. The dust/corrosion seems to attack the area where the alum. meets the chrome. The inner edges are already "bubbling".

Still love 'em.

Reaction score
I'm not sure but I bet you are seeing the clear coat releasing from the rims. When the corrosion ets bad it will eat through the clear and start bubbling . The multi peice wheels are the ardest to keep clean in these areas and are prone to having this issue.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing I do when I get home after a drive is blow the dust off the wheels with my "detailers" vac. The vac is in reverse (blowing out) of course with the cone on the end of the hose to focus the air. Next, take a 1 inch wide, (or smaller) soft bristle paint brush and lightly wrap a cotton polishing cloth around the bristles . Spray a little detalers spray on cloth and wipe in and on the sides of the "spokes". The soft bristles, with cotton cloth wrapped around them, easily conforms to fit in between the spokes and hard to reach places. I blow the wheels off first to get most of the dust off without the risk of etching the wheel on the first wipe. This whole process just takes a couple of minutes and works great.

I don't like the idea of using a mild acid on my wheels to clean them because I don't want to take the time and effort to do it right. You wouldn't spray an acidic cleaner on your children instead of a shower to clean them to save time and effort. IMHO

Please, I don't mean any offense or direspect to any one that uses wheel cleaners, I just don't use them on my car. A lot of people say they don't have time. I work between 65-70 hrs a week and always wipe the car and wheels down before and after every time I take my car out. I make the time. Again IMHO

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wash the car and wheels with Zip Wax Turtle Wax - Zip Wax Car Wash

And all I have to do is spray the wheels off with water and they are all clean! Never again will I clean the wheels after every drive by hand.

Since mid-Summer, when I started using only the Zip Wax Car Wash on both the tires and wheels after washing the car, I've noticed as a side benefit, that my ACR wheels accumulate much less dirt than before. - Which may be as much a result of not using any tire dressing, rather than just the Zip Wax alone..

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get a small bucket of car wash soap and water and clean and dry the wheels every time I put it in the garage. Takes about 15 minutes. I never let the brake dust sit on them for any length of time.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for waxing the wheels. The dust comes off easier that way, still alot of work...but well worth it!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chrome wheels are easier to clean, not harder. trust me and ask anybody who has had reg ACR wheels. EBC green pads help with brake dust, but they still are a b*tch to clean and do still get dirty. but hey, at least they look great (a LOT better than reg Gen II wheels)

Just as I thought. My experience with Chrome is a lot better than without. Mind you it is not a fix but it is a lot better than the finishes that come from Dodge.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I bet you are seeing the clear coat releasing from the rims. When the corrosion ets bad it will eat through the clear and start bubbling . The multi peice wheels are the ardest to keep clean in these areas and are prone to having this issue.

You have no idea! The multipiece wheels have so many crevices that is it almost impossible to clean not to mention to wax. Once waxing, it gets everywhere and you can NEVER get all the wax off.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rub with a soapy sponge to do the outer surface and tire, then use my fingers to clean around the spokes as I'm squeezing out soapy water from the sponge.
It goes faster with practice.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mud-Off is not a cleaner, it is a slippery coating put on before the part gets dirty. It makes cleaning easier or less frequent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine