ACR whoops F430 and CRUSHES ZR-1 in new C&D road course test.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
File says Z51 Vette, not ZR-1. I'm not a vette person, but in the photo you can see that the vette isn't a ZR-1 because of the missing plexiglass window on top of the hood.

Nonetheless, great job by the ACR!

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
File says Z51 Vette, not ZR-1. I'm not a vette person, but in the photo you can see that the vette isn't a ZR-1 because of the missing plexiglass window on top of the hood.

I was gonna correct him that too. Also not a fan of the vette either. I'd say that be horriable if the ZR-1 did that.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

See my inserted edit. I read it wrong. Edit function would not allow me to change the header.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mags won't be running any ACR vs ZR1 articles for a while. You know... gotta collect as much GM money as possible. Then eventually run the 2 on a cover and sell twice as many copies. Funny they have ZR1's available for every puff piece article that exclaim how great it is, but non available for comparison.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't wait until some more mods come out for the ACR and 08's. Just the header/exhaust upgrade is worth quite a few ponies. Plus I hear a new intake manifold and airbox will be coming out for 09, which can be installed on the 08's. Also they're working on a Mopar 'offroad' computer that will boost the HP as well.

I think it'll be pretty easy to achieve close to 700HP (naturally aspirated) on the 08-09 vipers.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the most surprising result is the Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo. Beat the Evo, Audi S5, G37 Sport and WRX STI. First by far in it's class. How is that even possible?

K

Kaya

Just for the hell of it, how did the Lotus do? They are usually fast and are in some ways a lot like the Viper in that it is a ********* sports car made to RUN without trying to be everything to everybody. Not on the same planet powerwise, but a solid choice none the less. Rudy.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The mags won't be running any ACR vs ZR1 articles for a while. You know... gotta collect as much GM money as possible. Then eventually run the 2 on a cover and sell twice as many copies. Funny they have ZR1's available for every puff piece article that exclaim how great it is, but non available for comparison.

I smell foul play on that to.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so why didn't GM put up the ZR-1 against the ACR?

Afraid?

Very simply since the test was run on a hot day=heatsoak.This type of test is not the ZR-1 forte (0-150-0 is )basically Chevy knew they would lose and did not want to spoil the cat=rs introduction -sales.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very simply since the test was run on a hot day=heatsoak.This type of test is not the ZR-1 forte (0-150-0 is )basically Chevy knew they would lose and did not want to spoil the cat=rs introduction -sales.

how long have you been working at GM?:eater:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually knew about the results a few months ago since iam friends with a few mag guys (the Lightening Lap tests were conducted early summer )under the condition i wouldnt say anything publicy untill results printed.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait until some more mods come out for the ACR and 08's. Just the header/exhaust upgrade is worth quite a few ponies. Plus I hear a new intake manifold and airbox will be coming out for 09, which can be installed on the 08's. Also they're working on a Mopar 'offroad' computer that will boost the HP as well.

I think it'll be pretty easy to achieve close to 700HP (naturally aspirated) on the 08-09 vipers.

The engineers we talked to during the Engine tech-talk at VOI said that the airbox on the '08 is as low restriction as they could get. In fact I think I remember them saying at one point they ran an engine without the airbox/filter connected and got no more power. They said that you probably won't see much in the way of gains by going to an aftermarket system. I'd be surprised if they came out with something better for the '09.

They did confirm that on this new engine though, the closer you get to 0 back-pressure, the better. I know that's not true for all engines.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just amused by not only all of the conspiracy theories here, but how SURE everyone is that they've got the right answer about why the ZR1 wasn't in this test.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just amused by not only all of the conspiracy theories here, but how SURE everyone is that they've got the right answer about why the ZR1 wasn't in this test.

Oh...kind of an off-color remark to make that point.

Anywho...I wonder, were all of the cars provided by their manufacturers? What would have prevented a ZR-1 owner (they're available now yes?) from offering theirs up for this test?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engineers we talked to during the Engine tech-talk at VOI said that the airbox on the '08 is as low restriction as they could get. In fact I think I remember them saying at one point they ran an engine without the airbox/filter connected and got no more power. They said that you probably won't see much in the way of gains by going to an aftermarket system. I'd be surprised if they came out with something better for the '09.

They did confirm that on this new engine though, the closer you get to 0 back-pressure, the better. I know that's not true for all engines.
A few months ago i was at at Englishtown with my 08 Viper(Muscle Mustang And Fast Ford Test) the day SRT introduced the Challanger.Evan Smith introduced me to a few of the enginers BASICALLY the above is dead on accurate .On a Ballanger Equipted 08 if you could do a computer reflash the car will made an easy 725 to the flywheel.They however did warn that certain botton end components are not designed with this power out in mind.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Word for word i was told the ZR-1 was in fact at the test(even ran a few laps )then mysteriously pulled off the track by Chevrolet as the daytime temps heated up -90 plus.Iwas told this along with the results mid in August.(I even went so far as to share the results with a few VCA members i knew would not go public )

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have some "insider info" that's one thing. But for people to just start making outlandish claims that they pulled out of their rearends, then act like they're 100% sure that's the case is laughable.

And unless you are witholding more info, your statement is still not conclusive. They may have been having problems with the car, or there could be other reasons it was pulled. I went and personally looked at 3 ZR1's at a local dealership.....all 3 had coolant leaks. Of the 2 ZR1s I read about being dyno'd, one had clutch slip. There might be tons of problems with the ZR1's right now.