Add me to the list of blown Aldan shocks. Lasted about 250 miles.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the look of the Aldans, and bought them for their spring rate choices and height adjustment (and good price). Install was straightforward, and height adjustment allowed me to correct a lean in the rear of my car. But even with my very light 500 pound rear springs I never thought the rears had enough damping (fronts are fine with middle settings matching 300 pound springs well). I started to notice little drips of fluid on the garage floor and was worried the pumpkin was leaking on one side where the half shaft bolts up. Then I notice same placement of drip on both sides, noticed even less damping on the rear shocks, maxed out the rear shcok adjustment and am still boinging down the road, and I finally put it all together. Shocks are blown. I really do not want to have the car down during this sweet spot in the Phoenix weather, but I'm going to yank them in the morning so I can send them back. Someday . . . someday I will realize my dream of being able to afford a car that I think is awesome bone stock and I'll never have to deal with the aftermarket again.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes call them ASAP.
My shocks lasted about 100mi, they "blow up" in the rear.
I was not very happy but they fixed it.
Aldan's manager should do something regarding Viper shocks.
The issue is not the spring rate but the internal construction.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so, are we getting what we pay for? aren't other sets of quality shocks available for just a few hundred more?

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Michael, That ***** about your Aldan's. :eek: I have a spare set of stock rear shocks, if you want to borrow them to keep you running till you get them back.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why people replace the stock oil filed koni with gas filled aladins is beyond me. aladin shocks are not even worthy of a go-cart

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Michael, That ***** about your Aldan's. :eek: I have a spare set of stock rear shocks, if you want to borrow them to keep you running till you get them back.
Even though the Aldans apparently have some "issues," their customer service has been exemplary in the past so I guessing they can turn them around quickly. Maybe I can even talk them into sending a new pair. I'd much rather sit in the sun and read magazines on Easter morning than work on the car, but such is the life of a modded Viper owner.

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First you post......"I really do not want to have the car down during this sweet spot in the Phoenix weather"

Then I offer to help you, and you post....."I'd much rather sit in the sun and read magazines on Easter morning than work on the car"

Put your purse down, take some Pamprin and make up your mind.:rolleyes:

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah my first set last about 100miles and i just blew my rear right after around 300miles.

Is there a better coilover?

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I'm really PO-d now. You might recall that part of the work I did when I installed the Aldans was a comprehensive cleaning of the underside of the car so that it ended up looking like this:

You must be registered for see images

I took the wheels off this morning to remove the dead Aldans and found that the leaking fluid has made a huge mess. The channels in the tops of the control arms were full of goop to which all kinds of sand and gravel attached itself. This is what the inside of the rear wheels looked like:

You must be registered for see images

I think the fluid is like brake fluid and has etched the plastic of the fender liners. I cleaned the best I could, including cleaning the wheels and tires up, then I got so disgusted I closed up the garage and watched the Malaysian GP on the DVR. Not the end of the world, but not fun either.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First you post......"I really do not want to have the car down during this sweet spot in the Phoenix weather"

Then I offer to help you, and you post....."I'd much rather sit in the sun and read magazines on Easter morning than work on the car"quote]

The car has just been working so well, running great, the new ride height is perfect, the AC o-rings I replaced in the condensor years ago are still holding fine, then something happens to ruin it all. I like to work on the car - but on my time schedule - not on some aftermarket suppliers time schedule. Thanks for the offer Jim. At least this is a job where jack stands are fine and I don't have to envy your lift. :smirk:

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah my first set last about 100miles and i just blew my rear right after around 300miles.

Is there a better coilover?

ill be trying out penske's here soon. everyone says penske or moton. but the entry fee *****

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Aldan finally sent the shocks back and I put them in today. When I first installed them I put a bit of thread locker on the threads into the fork - well of course there is no good way to grab the shock so I could not get the forks off. After one good try I gave up and sent the whole assemblies to Aldan. I figured they are why I was in this mess so they can figure it out. Yes their shocks have some issues on Vipers, but they do try ******* a service level. Their machine shop built a special tool and after two weeks they had the forks off. I got the shocks a week ago Friday but was busy and could not get them on last week so I did it this week. I started the test drive with the new rears in the middle of the rebound adjustment and they definitely have more damping than they did the first go around. So much more that I was able to click the fronts up a couple of more notches to match (I'm at 3/4 of all available rebound damping both front and rear). So all is good with the car now - BUT it has been 100F+ all week so whoops, missed Viper season. :( Best part was on the test drive I stopped at a gas station to make adjustments and met a nice azn kid with a turbocharge Acura RSX. It is interesting to talk to nice ricer car guys because they are intersted in a car like a Viper, but just know nothing about it. When I left he caught me and we had a great run from a roll to well over 100 mph. That little rice-mobile hauled some butt! But no match for 8+ liters of American muscle! :)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm and outlaw owner. I actually own a Viper, but I am not officially a VCofA member so in order to mock me when I asked for a sig as a reward for discovering a security flaw in the new forum software they gave me the mini sig! :rolaugh:

besides... I keep hearing it's not the size that matters. :dunno: :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960