AEM Engine Management System New Release

Sean McElderry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1TONY1-

The amount of O2 feedback is programmable via proportional and integral gain math at every RPM point. At higher RPM, you want the O2 sensors to react faster, so you simply increase your numbers in these two graphs to have the O2FB add/subtract fuel as needed. The only downside to having your O2FB control fuel all the time is the scenario where your O2 sensors have degraded over time and are now targeting incorrect AFRs. Hope that helps!

Sean McElderry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer questions about boost control, the AEM EMS has several different ways to do it.

1) Boost vs. TPS. This is very useful for road racing, as you can control your target boost with your right foot. It is completely programmble, allowing you to set a target boost level at every RPM/TPS point in a 3D graph.

2) Boost vs. Vehicle Speed. This is useful for drag racing and is probably the most commonly requested setup on all the cars that we tune. You ramp boost in with vehicle speed to prevent wheelspin at low MPH. Of course, on cars such as Supras and Vipers using street tires, you'll want to take advantage of AEM's traction control in conjunction with this feature.

3) Simple wastegate duty boost control. This is the method used by boost controllers such as the HKS EVC-EZ, although it's a little more advanced. It allows you to set a duty cycle for your boost controller at every RPM/Load point in a 3D graph. The advantage to this is that it's very easy to setup. The disadvantage to this is that boost levels vary with environmental conditions as there is no FB when using this method.

4) Switch based boost control. This can be used along with either of the first two boost control methods. You can wire a switch in to toggle between low boost and high boost settings.

The AEM also has programmable lights so you can have a light illuminate when your AFR goes too rich or too lean; or if you overboost; or if your coolant gets too hot; or you can program it as a shift light; etc, etc.

If you have anymore questions, please let me know. I'm happy to provide answers where I can. Take care!

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Sean for jumping in. I asked Sean to help out and answer any questions you all may have. Sean is our tuner and has quite a bit more experience tuning the AEM than I do. Feel free to email either of us directly as well.

Take care,
Chris.

Sean McElderry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're still anticipating a December release, but things can definitely change. I will update you guys as I get more information from AEM. We're in constant communication about the new apps.

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you making over 1,000 rwhp and having trouble finding a dyno that won't break and will produce reliable numbers at those levels, we have the newest released dyno from Dynojet that supports up to 1,800rwhp. It also has new software which is definitely a big improvement over the previous version.

Here is a pic of the dyno area, the dyno software and the last picture is of our entire facility.

You must be registered for see images

Take care,
Chris.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Just wanted to say that is an *extremely* impressive setup and shop you have there.

I'm sure others besides myself would be interested in what sort of equipment you have, what sort of stuff you do (we know you do AEM tuning but what else?).

Sean McElderry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, we do quite a few different things here at TorqueFreaks. We install all stock and performance parts, build engines, tune various EMS setups, polish parts, dyno cars, sell race gas, and provide on-site tuning and service anywhere in the world. We even do typical "dealership" work such as oil changes, 30k tune ups, etc. Our technicians are ASE certified and all have both dealership and high performance backgrounds.

We just got back from tuning a 931hp Supra in Rome, Italy. The customer's request was to have enough power to beat a Murcielago in a straight line. I think we accomplished that :)

I'll let Chris talk a little bit about the parts side of the business. Take care!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteTony,

I dont know how else to put this, it comes with a DUAL WIDE BAND SENSOR setup!

Russ

[/QUOTE]

Russ, Do you mean two sensors ? :laugh:

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The AEM wide-band has a single channel and a dual channel version. The dual channel has 2 sensors and sends 2 outputs to the AEM. These are recommended on V motors so that you can monitor both sides.

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first one listed "AEM 30-0001" you don't want. That's a generic EMS that will not plug into your existing stock harness. The second one is the one you want. That's a plug n play one for the Viper.

After speaking with Sean this weekend, he informed me that the Viper doesn't have knock sensors. If this is true, I'm going to add knock sensors to the HPF EMS kit for the Viper. I wouldn't even begin tuning ignition timing without those. I'm not quite sure which ones would work the best on that motor so I'll have to do some research on Monday when I get back to the shop. Most of the boosted cars we tune are already equiped with those, but since the Viper comes non-boosted with so much displacement Dodge must have felt it wasn't necessary. Does anyone know why? I'm a little puzzled by this. If we get some crappy gas in our Supras the ECU pulls a ton of timing out based on our knock sensors. We program up the AEM to do the same thing to save the motor. I run 35psi of boost in my Supra and any detonation can be disastrous.

If you guys want anything else included in the kit, let me know. I basically put everything together in a kit based on my normal pricing. Then I take several hundred $$'s off the price so that people can get everything they need without spending a bundle.

Take care,
Chris.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding knock sensors will make your package irresistable - I was amazed too when I discovered DC didn't include knock sensors in their engine management - in 2003 it's unbelievable!

I think it's great you are throwing those in - that will be invaluable for tuners!!!!!!

I'm excited by this new software.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From many discussions here and research else where.....you just don't add knock sensors and expect them to work properly. Thoughts ?

Tony, I thought that aside from being "low tech" 'dinosaurs' (according to my one supra friend)the Vipers did not have a knock sensor because the engine is too noisy and has so much vibration that a knock sensor would have a hard time distinguishing knock from say the big cam opening and closing the valves, the exhaust resonance/etc.......

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo you can use knock sensors on the viper eng. DLM has used knock sensing for years. It data logs too. It will remove timing if it senses knock. i've had them on my 2000 viper about three years. Maybe one of the reasons i've gone over 30k mi with the stock bottom end. Couldn't hurt. i'll shoot doug an email and maybe he could chime in.

Max

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max, That's secret DLM stuff......I understand Doug spent mucho time designing his knock sensor. I did not know the DLM cars came with them, I thought Doug used it to dial the cars in...a seperate box ? What we are talking is just bolting one to the block and it being able to work correctly. Maybe they can make it work correctly......that would be great. I did like the way he explained: using high octane fuel, data logging the noise with no detonation then setting the noise threshold at that point.

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Knock sensors tyipcally output a 0-5V signal that the EMS reads. There's a map in the AEM called the "Knock Noise" table. This is the noise threshold vs. engine rpm. As rpm increases so does the noise. We will typically make some baseline pulls with good gas and datalog the noise the engine makes. We'll set a line right above this threshold in the knock noise table.

Once this is set, we can have a bunch of things happen if the noise goes above this amount. We can have the check engine light go on, we can have it inject extra fuel and we can have it pull out timing.

Does anyone have the DLM knock sensors installed in their car? If so, could you tell me where they are mounted and what their thread pitch is? These are essential optimizing ignition timing and we would like to supply these with our EMS kits.

Thanks.
Chris.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo you can use knock sensors on the viper eng. DLM has used knock sensing for years. It data logs too. It will remove timing if it senses knock. i've had them on my 2000 viper about three years. Maybe one of the reasons i've gone over 30k mi with the stock bottom end. Couldn't hurt. i'll shoot doug an email and maybe he could chime in.

Max

That shows excellent forward thinking by DLM. I'm impressed!

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINALLY!!!!!!!!

It is about time some one stepped up to the plate and gave people an easy to use, affordable system that will give you 90% of the capability of a Motec with only 10% of the headache and cost!! :2tu: Because unlike Motec; the AEM is made for each model of car. While Motec uses a "one size fits all" approach. It was also the only system available for many years that would even run the Chrysler V-10 and even then only after you modified the crank trigger. Don’t get me wrong, the Motec is a phenomenal system and has its place in the aftermarket world. At this level it is a TOTAL over kill. The Motec is aimed more at the person who needs to log a ton of data and then analyze it (at the track). :confused: While the AEM focuses more on what you are actually going to use from day to day. So it basically comes down to the question; are you really going to use all that extra logging (AEM will log. Just not in the quantity of a Motec) and do you really want to rewire your car to install it (Motec). If you ever decide to sell your car; just unplug your AEM unit and replace your stock. THAT is SLICK!! I also feel that AEM is a little more refined on the user interface side as well.

Don’t get me wrong; if given the choice and money was no object, and I was willing to rewire my car, I would go for the Motec hands down. But realistically it just is not worth the trade off for the little that you gain and in the real world money is an issue so the AEM has my vote :headbang:

Good luck AEM. I hope you guys get it worked out. :laugh:

I know I will be buying a few of them as soon as they are released!! :2tu:

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After speaking with Sean this weekend, he informed me that the Viper doesn't have knock sensors. If this is true, I'm going to add knock sensors to the HPF EMS kit for the Viper. I wouldn't even begin tuning ignition timing without those. I'm not quite sure which ones would work the best on that motor so I'll have to do some research on Monday when I get back to the shop. Most of the boosted cars we tune are already equiped with those, but since the Viper comes non-boosted with so much displacement Dodge must have felt it wasn't necessary. Does anyone know why? I'm a little puzzled by this. If we get some crappy gas in our Supras the ECU pulls a ton of timing out based on our knock sensors. We program up the AEM to do the same thing to save the motor. I run 35psi of boost in my Supra and any detonation can be disastrous.

Take care,
Chris.
Finally somebody hits the NAIL ON THE HEAD:Tuning with knock sensors!!!

Max

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knock sensors tyipcally output a 0-5V signal that the EMS reads. There's a map in the AEM called the "Knock Noise" table. This is the noise threshold vs. engine rpm. As rpm increases so does the noise. We will typically make some baseline pulls with good gas and datalog the noise the engine makes. We'll set a line right above this threshold in the knock noise table.

Once this is set, we can have a bunch of things happen if the noise goes above this amount. We can have the check engine light go on, we can have it inject extra fuel and we can have it pull out timing.

Does anyone have the DLM knock sensors installed in their car? If so, could you tell me where they are mounted and what their thread pitch is? These are essential optimizing ignition timing and we would like to supply these with our EMS kits.

Thanks.
Chris.
Chris the knock sensor alone on my car does not give out a voltage signal. It has a box that converts the sound or knock into a voltage: 0-5 volt output. I can data log with it and it has an extra wire to hook it up to a light or horn.

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That would work just fine.... we may want to use something like that.

However...there are hundreds of different knock sensors available. They typically have a threaded end that screws into the block. All I really need is 2 threaded holes on your block that are un-used (one near the front and one near the back, both on opposite sides). Most motors typically have several of these available. I can then get simple knock sensors, screw them in, and wire them into the AEM. On our Supra's, we have very sensitive knock sensors, we could see if there are locations on your block that have the same pitch, or we could make an adapter for it, but I'd rather it be bolted right into the block.

If anyone lives near us in Portland, OR, we'd love to have you stop by with your Viper. I'd like to find some locations for these to go. We'll give you some free dyno pulls for your trouble.

Take care,
Chris.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen any avalible holes. I had thought about epoxying the correct size nut to the block. My car is on the lift now...I will take another look tomorrow.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If knock sensors will work on the oil pan it would be easy to put some bungs on that like we do on the dry sump motor. Not sure if it would be a good location though, but it would be nice to modify a relativley 'cheap' oil pan rather than the block.....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about using the water system drain plugs. Modify or tap a hole into the center of the drive hole.