AEM issues.........

3520henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the AEM computers come with all of the software required? I know they are plug and play, but do they come with software/disk?

Can you program them from your computer, or do you need to take it to a shop with a special program? Is there anyting better than the AEM or more user friendly? Thank you!!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know a few guys here have ditched the AEM, one went Motec instead another is having his stock ECU reflashed by DC Peformance

they can be programmed with a laptop, you'd need a bit of experience of the software when you see all the pages and options to go through

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know a few guys here have ditched the AEM, one went Motec instead another is having his stock ECU reflashed by DC Peformance

they can be programmed with a laptop, you'd need a bit of experience of the software when you see all the pages and options to go through

Why did they dump the AEM? Was it difficult to program?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why did they dump the AEM? Was it difficult to program?

More than likely the quality control issues. The system is overkill for 99% of N/A builds out there with the SCT software, and is not nearly up to par with the other options available that are a bit more expensive, albeit not as plug-and-play. It would be a nice middle-of-the-road option if it wasn't plagued with quality control problems.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to AEMPOWER.COM

Click on the "forums" section. All the info on software is there for free downloads. You can review other questions and ask your own.
AEM will randomly post updates there too. There is also a baseline Viper "map" to get you started.

The AEMs are a PITA.....I went through 3 ECUs before I got one that worked correctly.
But,... unless you live in the same city as your tuner, the aem logging capabilities are nice. You just "log" your last 20 minutes or so of driving on your laptop. Email it to your tuner.
He reviews it, modifies and emails back. You load the modified MAP back into your AEM and that's it....:D

OP
OP

3520henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of the responses! 98 TT car, seems to be getting to much fuel or so it feels like it, as I changed out all of the sprak plugs, and it still seems to be cutting out @ around 5500rpm 1st gear, 5300 2nd gear, 4800 3rd gear, then 4400 4th gear??? Its like its hitting a rev limiter or something. Car pulls hard through the gears!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of the responses! 98 TT car, seems to be getting to much fuel or so it feels like it, as I changed out all of the sprak plugs, and it still seems to be cutting out @ around 5500rpm 1st gear, 5300 2nd gear, 4800 3rd gear, then 4400 4th gear??? Its like its hitting a rev limiter or something. Car pulls hard through the gears!

There are MANY possible causes... More details on the car? As a starting point, I would check AFR, and also check converter condition/signs of converter meltdown [if you have them]

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but what is boost cut???

The maximum boost allowable by the program that has been written, generally only applies to Turbocharged cars. Basically, it is the point where the boost control solenoid will activate the wastegate to vent extra exhaust flow to lower boost levels [Soft Cut] or the level which the controller will take more drastic measures to control boost [Hard Cut, usually as part of an "overboost limiter"]

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your boost cut.

:clap:

Something is causing your car to over-boost, and the AEM unit is protecting your motor from destroying itself. This is a feature which would have been setup by your tuner.

The RPM that its happening at is the tattle tale, lower in each gear cause boost would come on sooner with each longer gear.

Get it checked out, or check it out yourself if you know what you are doing. I would start with following all the vacuum lines to the waste-gates/boost controller make sure they are all attached and not leaking.

Were you by any chance messing around with the AEM unit by yourself? There is an option (if you use the AEM boost control solenoid) that reverses the expected flow of the solenoid, if you check that it will cause over-boost as well.