Aeromotive pump controller and tach signal

GreenWorm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hooked up the Aeromotive pump controller on my 95 as per the instructions. I pulled the tach signal from the upper PCM, Cavity 43 GY/LB. I started the car and the pump runs with none of the LEDs lit on the controller. When I hit the override switch, the green SWT light comes on. From what I understand, the PNT light should be flashing while the override switch is off. Mine doesn't seem to be flashing. I checked the connection but it's a single wire that runs from the pump controller directly to the PCM where it is soldiered to the GY/LB wire from Cavity 43. Any ideas guys? Is this the wire I was needing to hook up to? A search for Tach Signal for a gen 1 seemed to yield this result. thanks

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GreenWorm,
I'm not sure you have the correct wire, but the color is correct - GRAY/LIGHT BLUE.
Here are some instructions I wrote, for another application, to find the Tach signal wire.

1. The Tachometer signal wire on the Viper can be accessed from 1a) the PCM or from 1b) the Tachometer plug behind the Tach, your choice.
If accessed from the Tach, behind the dash, all connections will be contained within the driver/passenger compartment. If accessed from the PCM, the wire must be passed through the firewall to the driver/passenger compartment.
In either case, the wire is GRAY with LIGHT BLUE stripe.

1a. To find the wire at the PCM:
It is located in the Gray PCM connector (C101), Pin number C31.
The connectors can be removed by squeezing tabs on the top and bottom.
The pin numbers can be seen on the inside of the connectors if you so desire. However removing only the back cover of the connector is all that is required. This should pry off easily without removing the connector or damaging the cover.
1b. To find the wire at the Tachometer:
Remove the driver side knee panel (above the knees) to expose the
back of the Tachometer.
The blue plug at the tach contains the Gray/Light Blue wire (pin position #1), which is the tach feed from the PCM.

NOW, the idiosyncrasy of the VIPER Ignition - It functions as a 5 cylinder car - the tach signal is 1/2 , because it fires 2 cyliinders at the same time.

This may be the reason the your light is not flashing.

Later,

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one of these controllers but haven't installed it yet. I've been meaning to for over a year!

The viper tach signal isn't something that most devices detect... So instead of the TACH wire, I use a coil-pack wire. And in that case, your RPM may be 20% off (on the controller)... But it will still work. Have you thought about trying it off of a coil wire instead?

JD

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the tach wire Don is talking about:

DSC01205.JPG

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the wire, Don is talking about - Oh, I'm Don; from a Gen 1 PCM - same as Gen 2 only location of PCM is different.

Beeper_Tach_006.JPG

Beeper_Tach_007.JPG

OP
OP
G

GreenWorm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys... I will look to verify that I have the correct wire. If I don't, i will correct it... if I do have the Tach signal wire, i will switch to a inj driver as J. Dell Suggested. the 20% off wouldn't pose a problem as the controller is adjustable. thanks

OP
OP
G

GreenWorm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hooking it up... the tach signal wire doesn't cut it and that driver didn't work either. I called Aeromotive and they said this controller will not work properly on a viper without the MSD tach signal adapter. Said I should also run the signal booster because i will be running my pump controller and window switch off it. For anyone interested, the MSD part numbers are 8918 and 8920... i got them both for under 100.00 from a local speed shop. Thanks :2tu:

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info GW! I tried to get mine to work, with no luck, so I added it to my Viper parts archive. Please keep us posted on how it works out for you.