After 1 week of owning

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My impressions so far of owning a 2001 RT/10.

I brought this thing home about a week ago. I was surprised at how tame it can be when I drive it normal. The color on this (Sapphire) is incredible. No performance mods on it yet. It is completely stock except for the wheels. It has incredible traction when I punched it, but if I shift hard enough from 1st to 2nd I can get it to go sideways.

No real problems yet. Except this. One time, ONLY ONCE, ther passenger side floor board was wet after driving it for about 20 minutes. I read many posts on here about wet passenger floor boards and I assumed it might have been a clogged line from the AC. I have a 90 day warrantee on it, so I've made an appointment at Dodge to get this checked out. But, since then I can not get this “problem” to occur again. I have run the AC, parked on an incline, and did everything I can think of to get it to repeat, but no luck. I looked under the car and could see the water from the AC dripping behind the passenger wheel area, slightly inward, where I assume it’s supposed to be.

The engine area is hot after a run (even a normal slow drive), and I lift the hood when I am done, and park outside of the garage, to prevent more heat from entering my house. I know after market headers, thermostat and exhaust should help this some. But, it is never hot inside the cabin, and these after market parts can be very expensive (to me anyway). And, I'm not sure if I want a louder exhaust

No chance for pictures yet, It’s been raining or overcast everyday since I got it.

I’m replacing the stock sub, door speakers, and head unit (with ipod interface through the glove compartment, behind the seats, below the sub) on Thursday. Other than that, I might wait a while before doing any other mods. The car is already faster than I want to go, and I am not interested in street racing, or tracking. To be honest, I used to hate to lose a street race (it’s been many years since I have done this) I don't want to get back in that mindset, and there is ALWAYS something faster. But there isn’t anything better looking than an RT/10.

I cannot decide if it looks better with or without the hardtop on it. It looks means (especially with my HRE rims) either way.

I tried to put the soft top together the other night. MAN WHAT A PAIN. I didn’t finish it. I was already tired from other things, and I was getting frustrated. So I packed it up and set it aside. I am not looking forward to finishing it.

My breaks squeal very slightly if I apply slight pressure to the breaks, and this is after I just start it up. If I apply medium pressure, no squeal. Also no squeal if the break pads are warmed up.

The Sewing machine cam took a little to get used to. When I calmed down enough to actually pay attention to the way it sounds (a few days after buying the Viper) I had flashblacks of an old Nissan truck I had with a cracked block and collapsed lifters (than ran that way for 50,000 miles after the cracked block, you can’t kill those old Nissan trucks). I prayed that I didn’t have a collapsed lifter, but then I figured this must be what they were talking about when they said “Sewing Machine” cam.

Other than that I love this RT. I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take some, in the bright sunshine.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the thrill doesn't go away

i like the rt both w & w/o the top, 2 for 1

you are lucky if the cabin doesn't get hot (tampa is slightly cooler than houston) cabin heat soak ruined my garage door opener

enjoy

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, plenty of folks in the central FL VCA know how to put the soft top together if you get stuck. Once its together leave it like that.

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 ******* is the best looking car ever made.

Here here!!!

picture.php

Mike
2001 RT/10

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The soft top assembly is easy - all you need is some exercise and probably someone to show you how to do it in 1-2 minutes!

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The soft top assembly is easy - all you need is some exercise and probably someone to show you how to do it in 1-2 minutes!

Wow, you think the soft top is easy to install? I absolutlely hate it. Maybe it's because my top has only been assembled a few times since I've owned it. Not only that, it looks terrible. My friend recently rented a Lotus Elise and that top went on in 60 seconds, looked great and didn't "sit" on top of the roof line begging to be blown off.

Mike

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks it's difficult to learn. I still have not made a 2nd effort on it. Truth be told I don't ever see me using it. Convertable or the hard top.

Now if I could just get my new key remote programmed :(

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never had to drive with the soft top on. I've installed it twice while parked. Once because I thought it might rain and the other because it was parked overnight at a hotel.

I practice once in a while putting it together in case I might need to put it on in a hurry. There's no hurrying with that thing! If I actually toured the country in my RT/10, I'd invest in that folding hard top.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Really? After some psychological counseling, some engineering classes and a couple months of Soft Top Boot Camp Training I was proud to get it down to 45 minutes.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to look at a used green 95 RT/10 and the guy trashed the top trying to remove it for the test ride. At one point I believe he was looking around for a crow bar or perhaps a pick axe... It got so crazy that there were 3 salesman hovering above me at one point as I sat in the drivers seat.. I moved on to the next car...LOL

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't worry about that soft top, when you are caught in an impending downpour you learn really quickly how to get it on fast. Do it a couple times and you'll be a pro. Putting it together and on the car in 1-2 minutes is no problem, however getting it out of the trunk is the perpetual nightmare isn't it, the rate limiting step even. All my chemistry/science geeks out there, that was for you...

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After buying a spare ignition key for $144, then a spare remote (fob I think its called) for $77, I brought the Viper in to Dodge and they said they would be happy to program the remote for me.
I said "OK!" Then they said "That will be $75 more please." :evilmad:

To which I replied " :nono: " .

"Give me a refund for the remote." If I happen to lock my keys in the car, I have the window key on the spare ignition key, and I will take out the back window, open the emergency door latch, get my original keys, and turn off the alarm.

I saved $152 plus tax that way. I kept the new spare ignition key though, just in case.

I understand the Viper tax, but geeeeeezzzzz I though only Obama believed in redistribution of my (pseudo)wealth.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortuneately no, It was a special order, and it's already been cut. I'm not sure where I would get it cut anyway, Dodge wont cut a key unless you buy from them. Thanks though.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortuneately no, It was a special order, and it's already been cut. I'm not sure where I would get it cut anyway, Dodge wont cut a key unless you buy from them. Thanks though.

future reference I guess, I hope this doesn't happen to you but one of my keys snapped in half while I was turning the car on. If it does, remember ebay ;)

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck 98 RT/10

I’ve seen your Viper parked a few times in busy parking lots with you out of sight. Like in the gym and shopping center parking lot at Dale Mabry/Van ****. Has anyone ever messed with your car while it was in a public place out of your sight? No fear of Vandalism (like another recent thread)?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck 98 RT/10

I’ve seen your Viper parked a few times in busy parking lots with you out of sight. Like in the gym and shopping center parking lot at Dale Mabry/Van ****. Has anyone ever messed with your car while it was in a public place out of your sight? No fear of Vandalism (like another recent thread)?

Nobody has ever messed with it that I know of. However a few weeks ago a bird that had recently devoured some sort of acidic blueberry left permanent damage on the hood.

As best you can, always park on an end spot or next to a handicapped spot or in the boonies so you don't get any door dings.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Depending on the year of your viper---The key can be cut at any sears or wal-mart and the fob you can program yourself, it really isn't that difficult.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Also, as far as the top is concerned, I have been able to get mine out of the trunk, assembled and latched down in less than three minutes, same to go back in the trunk. It just takes practice, and patience. You don't even need an assistant once you've done it a few times.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, as far as the top is concerned, I have been able to get mine out of the trunk, assembled and latched down in less than three minutes, same to go back in the trunk. It just takes practice, and patience. You don't even need an assistant once you've done it a few times.

tips or write-up possible :dunno:

i was sweating like a pig last time i put the soft top together and thought something was going to break or tear, if i can get it done in 3 mins alone it goes back in the trunk

tia

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? After some psychological counseling, some engineering classes and a couple months of Soft Top Boot Camp Training I was proud to get it down to 45 minutes.

You must be registered for see images attach
essential requirement in the British climate to be able to get the soft top on/off asap (like to start out on journeys roofless as much as possible!)- 2-3mins now. Just make sure you use the hook/latch socks when it's stowed....otherwise it won't take long for 2 little holes to appear in the material at the back of the roof....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang