After my speeding ticket.......

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I got a speeding ticket last week. 56 in a 35, wrote up as 45 in a 35 with 1 point going on my license.

So I figured it was time to get a little need for speed out of my system.

I ran at US 131 raceway (pinks all out filmed here a few years back) I ran a 12.008 with my mostly stock GTS. My GTS has high-flow cats, and I am running 20" HRE with Pirelli 345/25/20 and my stock 18's on the front.

My question is ***??? How is it possible I ran that quick when the car is only suppose to do 12.3 quarters??????

Is this typical?

Has anyone else ran thier stock GTS and have times?

-Tim

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's crazy?? Hum.. This was actually my first time on a quarter mile.

I was so mad that I didn't hit 11.999 tho, just to say I did!!

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds about right... I had straight pipes and K&N intake and ran 12.0 @ 120 with 2.0 60'. I also think I shifted 300rpm early. :(

Didn't really pay attention to my tach until I was LEAVING the strip. haha

Slow it down now... ;)

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many high 11 sec passes on bone stock GTS Vipers. My old Gen I went 12.1 @ 115, on old bald tires and had about the same mods as you. These cars are not slow. Were you misinformed before purchasing?

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember a guy at the track talking to me that used to have an RT/10 and he ran 10's bone stock or some junk... I happen to run into a lot of people that used to own Vipers.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.65 best time during my first trip to the drag strip.

(Roe 5lb, full exhaust, etc)

I can't drive, at least I don't have the edge to drive like that.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a lot of research and it seems like 12.2-12.5 is the standard for magazine tests, car comparos etc.:dunno: I am very happy to see people bone stock into the 11s. Could it be the edge of newer design tires, no matter the brand? Different traction additives at the strip on the pavement? Whatever the case, keep the 11s coming for the stock Gen 2, it helps resale when its doing the 1/4 mile comparisons. OP, you HAVE to go again and get the 11!

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, driver ability helps, but most don't realize that ambient cond. mean a lot....air density, oxy. levels etc...best times will come in spring and especially fall. look at the nhra records and it proves this. dense air = more oxy = more hp

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be doing a few more trips down the 1/4 mile Wednesday if the weather permits of course. Hoping to break into the high 11's. I will post if I do. If I don't, I will just sit in the bathroom and cry. I have an alignment done since then, and my front wheels are on so I am either going to be a little quicker, or a lot slower.

I am running my HRE 895R's 20" all the way around with Pirelli Rosso's on the rear, and Pzero's on the front's. Any tips?? I run against my friends 08 ZHZ Vette, and beat him everytime, but now he put a ram-air intake. I just want to make sure I stay infront of him everytime!

Any tips as far as when to burnout/not burnout?
Roll through water?
Tire pressures?
Shift points?

All tips are greatly apprecieated!!

Also going up against a Nissan GTR hopefully, but don't really have a chance at beating him, but will post video if I do!!

Thanks,
-Tim

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First off, good job on the good 1\4 times. Im hoping to get mine their soon as well. I've only had it a month and i can't wait tomget it out and see how it does. Im hoping close you your numbers.
As far as tips goes, and these are just my opinions from when i used to run my cobra:
On street tires roll around the water, small burn out to clean them off and heat them up alittle, then stage the light. No reason for a big burnout on street tires because they are not slick and don't have the oils in them for you to benifit from.
On slicks, through the water, or around the water and back up into it. Keeping your front tires dry. Big burnout, then stage.
As far as tire pressure, lots of people have different ideas. I usally just took a few pounds out of the back. Take to much air out and the tire tends to buckle in the middle causing you to run on the outsides of the tires. Plus a tire with low air is harder to rotate, hense slower track times.
Shifting, im not sure what the factory cam specs out at as far as power, but im guessing 5500 or so. My after market cam in my cobra spec was 6200, so i shifted (tried) right at that if i could.
These are just what i found worked for me. Different car, different driver. Hope some of it helps. And good luck at the track.:drive:

VIPERBARON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been some classified government research on this phenomenon. When you exceed the time barrier (easily achievable in a Viper) you actually end up at your destination before you left. The time barrier shock wave is very eccentric and attenuates rapidly with distance but remains directly proportional to throttle acceleration, thereby affecting the traveling vehicle and not the larger surrounding area beyond the effects of the time warp field. Some examples of this are when you mash the gas pedal and the rear of the vehicle suddenly becomes the front of the vehicle, in respect to forward velocity, regardless of which gear you may be in or your original and intended direction of travel. The human physiological impact has been described as a sense of euphoria identified by the ear-to-ear grin on the face of the driver. However in some instances, the drivers have experienced a tendency for wild opened eyes as a result of facial muscles contracting as the scenery suddenly becomes blurred and the onset of tunnel vision occurs.:omg:
It is recommended that should you encounter any of these facets of behavior or vehicle operation, that you continue to exhibit an aggressive mechanical effort to magnify the results of each preceding experience.:headbang:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, you really can't get an accurate time without actually running your car in the quarter mile yourself... HOWEVER, I am curious to know if anyone has any idea on what kind of time I would get if or when I do take my car to the track to run a quarter mile. These are the mods my car will have by the end of summer.. I guess, does anyone have all these mods or something similar so that you would know or just an idea in general on what kind of time and at what mph my car would possibly run, and what I should expect? Thanks!

American Racing Headers
American Racing Metallic High-Flow Cats
Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust
T&D 1.7 Shaft Mount Rockers
New Pushrods
708 Cam
SCT Tune
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
CenterForce Clutch and Hydrolic Slave Cylinder
K&N Dual FIPK
KW Variant2 Coilovers
Dave's Big Brake Kit
AB's Wires
172 Degree Thermostat with gasket
3.55 Gears and B&M Short Throw(not 100% certain I'll do these yet)
New Power Steering Pulley and Steering Brackets
Wood House Poly Engine and Transmission Mounts

**Obviously these aren't all performance parts. I just copied and pasted my mods from a text file I had on my computer.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CostanZo. My advice is to not Expect anything. If a bunch of people tell you you have a low 11sec car and you run a 12 not even beating the Stock Gen2 record of 11.77 then you will feal like a loser having sunk $10K+ into you viper for what?

Just get out there and have fun.
and dont break anything , i hear of people breaking halfshafts, smashing gears, ect... on the strip all the time trying to best something. Dont force anything, Just drive how you drive and let it be:2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice Dom. Not sure if I'd ever take it to the track for a 1/4 mile run since I baby my car anyway. I was just curious to know what kind of performance gains people get on average with the mods I listed. If I'm going to dyno my car to get accurately numbers, I figured I'd like to at least have an idea of what kind of performance it has. That is, if I never fully tested it myself ;)

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be doing a few more trips down the 1/4 mile Wednesday if the weather permits of course. Hoping to break into the high 11's. I will post if I do. If I don't, I will just sit in the bathroom and cry. I have an alignment done since then, and my front wheels are on so I am either going to be a little quicker, or a lot slower.

I am running my HRE 895R's 20" all the way around with Pirelli Rosso's on the rear, and Pzero's on the front's. Any tips?? I run against my friends 08 ZHZ Vette, and beat him everytime, but now he put a ram-air intake. I just want to make sure I stay infront of him everytime!

Any tips as far as when to burnout/not burnout?
Roll through water?
Tire pressures?
Shift points?

All tips are greatly apprecieated!!

Also going up against a Nissan GTR hopefully, but don't really have a chance at beating him, but will post video if I do!!

Thanks,
-Tim

Tips here - http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/645587-A-Few-videos-from-the-Drag-Strip-last-weekend.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, you really can't get an accurate time without actually running your car in the quarter mile yourself... HOWEVER, I am curious to know if anyone has any idea on what kind of time I would get if or when I do take my car to the track to run a quarter mile. These are the mods my car will have by the end of summer.. I guess, does anyone have all these mods or something similar so that you would know or just an idea in general on what kind of time and at what mph my car would possibly run, and what I should expect? Thanks!

American Racing Headers
American Racing Metallic High-Flow Cats
Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust
T&D 1.7 Shaft Mount Rockers
New Pushrods
708 Cam
SCT Tune
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
CenterForce Clutch and Hydrolic Slave Cylinder
K&N Dual FIPK
KW Variant2 Coilovers
Dave's Big Brake Kit
AB's Wires
172 Degree Thermostat with gasket
3.55 Gears and B&M Short Throw(not 100% certain I'll do these yet)
New Power Steering Pulley and Steering Brackets
Wood House Poly Engine and Transmission Mounts

**Obviously these aren't all performance parts. I just copied and pasted my mods from a text file I had on my computer.

Me driving your car with these mods and drag radials / slicks, easy low 11 to high 10 if the track temp is cool enough. Need to get dyno numbers to be sure though.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me driving your car with these mods and drag radials / slicks, easy low 11 to high 10 if the track temp is cool enough. Need to get dyno numbers to be sure though.

Nice! Thanks for the info man. I'm really hoping to hit 500-505rwhp(before 3.55 gears) consistently on the dyno, that is high hopes though haha.

Realistically with all those mods I'm expecting at least 485-490 to the wheels. I think that's a fair estimate from everything I've seen with other people's dyno numbers with similar mods and a precise tune.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
costan, The only people i know of with the same boltons as you with Dyno #'s is ME & -FROG-. Only diff being i dont have RR's. I put down 460/500 i think -Frog- only put down alittle more than that.

If you have the dyno results of ANY bolt-on Gen2 viper putting down 485+ to the wheels(SAE dynojet) then i would love to see the before baseline and after modds dyno charts.

A tune will Not do that much peak power wize for you on a Gen2. Maybe 5-10. Dont believe me? Give the tuners a call and ask. Dont believe everything you read on the internet. I recommend talking with Chris at DC Performance as well as any other tuner you are considering.

Expect around 460/500. If your motor puts out more than that great, but keep in mind there is the possibility of it putting down Less.

Here is -Frog-s dyno results, and mine are almost identical:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...esults-on-my-1998-GTS.?highlight=dyno+results

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/643152-FROG-s-98-Viper-GTS-new-track-times-2-18-11

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
costan, The only people i know of with the same boltons as you with Dyno #'s is ME & -FROG-. Only diff being i dont have RR's. I put down 460/500 i think -Frog- only put down alittle more than that.

If you have the dyno results of ANY bolt-on Gen2 viper putting down 485+ to the wheels(SAE dynojet) then i would love to see the before baseline and after modds dyno charts.

A tune will Not do that much peak power wize for you on a Gen2. Maybe 5-10. Dont believe me? Give the tuners a call and ask. Dont believe everything you read on the internet. I recommend talking with Chris at DC Performance as well as any other tuner you are considering.

Expect around 460/500. If your motor puts out more than that great, but keep in mind there is the possibility of it putting down Less.

Here is -Frog-s dyno results, and mine are almost identical:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...esults-on-my-1998-GTS.?highlight=dyno+results

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/643152-FROG-s-98-Viper-GTS-new-track-times-2-18-11

I replied to your message.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been some classified government research on this phenomenon. When you exceed the time barrier (easily achievable in a Viper) you actually end up at your destination before you left. The time barrier shock wave is very eccentric and attenuates rapidly with distance but remains directly proportional to throttle acceleration, thereby affecting the traveling vehicle and not the larger surrounding area beyond the effects of the time warp field. Some examples of this are when you mash the gas pedal and the rear of the vehicle suddenly becomes the front of the vehicle, in respect to forward velocity, regardless of which gear you may be in or your original and intended direction of travel. The human physiological impact has been described as a sense of euphoria identified by the ear-to-ear grin on the face of the driver. However in some instances, the drivers have experienced a tendency for wild opened eyes as a result of facial muscles contracting as the scenery suddenly becomes blurred and the onset of tunnel vision occurs.:omg:
It is recommended that should you encounter any of these facets of behavior or vehicle operation, that you continue to exhibit an aggressive mechanical effort to magnify the results of each preceding experience.:headbang:

HAHAHAHAHAH AGREED!!!

And as far as the tips, I have been checking into a lot of these.

1- I have been avoiding the water
2- Quick burn-out to clean the tires off.
3- Rev up to about 1000 RPM-1500 RPM
4- Dump the clutch quick
5- Throw gears in the orange

If I do everything according to this I hit my 12 flat on 87 Octane with street tires, and a WAY off alignment.

I am about 98% positive I will break into 11's

PS, test and tune was moved to Friday!

I will post up on here and update then.

Thanks for all the tips!

-Tim