Air conditioning

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove the car for a bit a week or so ago, and a few weeks before that and have noticed that the air conditioning is not working up to par all the time. When traveling at highway speeds it seems to function fairly ok, but when in slower moving traffic, it even cuts out totally and just blows hot air. Is this standard Viper bad behavior, or is this indicative of something actually wrong? I have just a touch over 3,000 miles on the car and she will be paying Tator a visit in a month or two for an oil change and good inspection, but any advice or insight in the meantime is greatly appreciated.

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start the car, turn the a/c on (fan at high speed), pop the hood and watch your a/c compressor. If the compressor doesn't run, or cycles on and off too frequently, then put a jumper wire across the a/c low pressure switch (aka, cycle switch). If the compressor runs like it should with jumper installed, and doesn't run right with jumper disconnected, then your a/c system is low on refridgerant. If the jumper does not affect the compressor action, then you have an a/c problem other than low refridgerant.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The air cutting out all together can be a normal function of the system. I know on my GEN II while crusing in 6th if I have the A/C on and I step on the gas the A/C will cut out to conserve power and soo as I take my foot off the gas the A/C blows cold again. As afr as working intermittenly the system could just be having trouble keeping up with the warmer temps outside? :dunno:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drove the car for a bit a week or so ago, and a few weeks before that and have noticed that the air conditioning is not working up to par all the time. When traveling at highway speeds it seems to function fairly ok, but when in slower moving traffic, it even cuts out totally and just blows hot air. Is this standard Viper bad behavior, or is this indicative of something actually wrong? I have just a touch over 3,000 miles on the car and she will be paying Tator a visit in a month or two for an oil change and good inspection, but any advice or insight in the meantime is greatly appreciated.

Never had an issue with the AC at any speed. I rarely use it, but I sure did this past weekend. Even those of us with 'verts, I sometimes run it just to keep everything juiced. I would have it checked.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have it checked, looks like you may have a leak and low level of refrigerant.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed in my V that depending how I am driving (acceleration) the temp of the air will certainly get a bit warmer (Not blowing hot air, but it isn't as cold). So, I see the same.

OP
OP
H

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will definitely get it checked out in a month or so. For now, I hardly have been driving it, and it should be ok for the time being. As long as it doesn't pose a danger risk to me or to damaging the car, I guess I can get another couple of runs out of the car. If there is a leak of some sort in the refrigerant line, that can't cause a dangerous condition, can it?

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will definitely get it checked out in a month or so. For now, I hardly have been driving it, and it should be ok for the time being. As long as it doesn't pose a danger risk to me or to damaging the car, I guess I can get another couple of runs out of the car. If there is a leak of some sort in the refrigerant line, that can't cause a dangerous condition, can it?
I think the first thing you should check is the cooling fan, if your system works good at higher speeds and blows warm at lower speeds, this may be a cooling fan problem. Typically, if you are low on refrigerant, it blows warm all the time until low pressure switch kicks in and compressor clutch does not engage at all.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you also have an 08. I had to have mine charged each year when I had it serviced. It bugged the tech because he said there had to be a leak; but could never find it.

This past service they found it and they replaced the condenser under warranty. One problem with our cars is they have a very small amount of refrigerant in the first place so any leak is bad regardless of how small of a leak it is.

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was the cooling fan not running, he would also see his water temp gauge climbing.
Did not say it was not running, don't electric fans usually have high and low speeds?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte