air fuel ratio measurement whats the correct way ?

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2002 GTS with a Roe S/C ,belanger headers, hi- flo cats and 3" corsa , prior to the hi-flo cats and corsa and headers i had a rear muffler delete and no cats and with this setup on the dyno my A/f was 12.7 up to 2600 rpm , 11.4 to 10 up to 3600 , 10.0 from there to 5000 rpm then gradually from 10 to 11.7 at 6000 . I have not checked it with the hi-flo's yet .This was measured at the tail pipe. This was with the vec 2.2 . Does this look right or to rich ? Also how would this differ from now having the cats installed and what or where should the readings be checked from ? Going to dyno again after these exhaust mods and not sure what to expect.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im no expert (still in training, LOL) but i would not check it at tailpipe, check it at headers so as to get accurate reading.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi FE155,
Your air / fuel ratios with stock exhaust were a little too rich between 3,600 and 5,000 RPM where they were in the 10's (mid 11's to flat 12.0 is perfect with the blower). However, now that you have full exhaust with headers, hi flow cats and cat-back, the air / fuel ratio will lean out and get closer to ideal as the engine will do a better job of burning the fuel with the new exhaust. If anything we may need to add a bit more fuel in the low end and take out about 3% in the midrange (or add more timing). Obviously, this depends greatly on the program card you're using. Since you're in CA with 91 octane and a cast piston engine, I'll assume you're running a "S-9D" card. If you were to switch to a "6D" card, your air / fuel should be about right as it has a little more spark advance in the midrange. We'll be glad to make adjustments and send you tweaked programs (by e-mail if you have the VEC2 software for burning your own cards) after you get a chance to dyno again with the new exhaust. Generally, we set the programs up for cars with high flow tubes, filters and exhaust, which can make them a tick too rich on cars without those mods. We should be able to get the air / fuel ratio a flat 12.0 within one or two pulls.
To answer your other question, it's ok to check the ratios at the tailpipe, but your graph will be a little late. What happens at the combustion chamber will then have to go through the entire exhaust, through the air hose in the tailpipe and get pumped up to the oxygen sensor at the dyno module. I've seen the delay to typically be between 250 and 350 RPM based on engine RPM (a graph showing a particular ratio at 4,300 rpm would actually be what happened at about 4,000 rpm). To take the delay out, you have to get the sensor closer to the head.

Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
F

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info , i will dyno it soon and see what the difference is .The delay in readings make sense but your saying also that going through the cats does not change the readings ?