Airbox

rgavitt2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a carbon fiber airbox, supposedly larger and produces more HP. I have a specialty shop that is guaranteeing me 15 additional HP. Fact or fiction?
Thanks,
rgavitt2002

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What will the guarantee get you if the claim isn't met? Money back and old parts back on car?
With all the talk about intake boxes and filters I wonder why someone doesn't dyno a Viper with nothing at all? It would be interesting to know what the stock tubes and filter produced compared to nothing at all.

OP
OP
R

rgavitt2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, and yes, the shop will guarantee 15 +/- HP or they will refund my money and put old parts back on. Herein lies the problem, they will be the one doing the dyno and I have been told it is possible to hmmm "adjust" the readout. I have had the car baselined with the smooth tubes, borla cats back and did 414HP. I thought that was low. I plan on adding Belangers, hi flow cats, T&D's , larger TB's and the Sr S/C.
RG
RCK N RL

OP
OP
R

rgavitt2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, and yes, the shop will guarantee 15 +/- HP or they will refund my money and put old parts back on. Herein lies the problem, they will be the one doing the dyno and I have been told it is possible to hmmm "adjust" the readout. I have had the car baselined with the smooth tubes, borla cats back and did 414HP. I thought that was low. I plan on adding Belangers, hi flow cats, T&D's , larger TB's and the Sr S/C.
RG
RCK N RL

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have to 100% agree with ACR joe the only way they could possibly get away with that claim is if they compare,there box with K&Ns and smooth tubes to factory box with OEM filters and OEM tubes,but to say a box in itself is good for 15HP well as ACR joe so elegantly put it --- and depending what DYNO they are using,compare your baseline,pay close attention to graphs and air/fuel and where the HP is gained,and also if they are claiming RWHP then even compared to OEM
bs[1].gif

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be hard to "prove" one way or the other? If the car isn't physically moving anything in front of the intakes would be a restriction. How would you simulate the advantage of air pressurization at speed to compare filters, tubes, and box designs. Guessing that bow design supposedly has something to do with efficiently scooping the air and creating a more aggressive pressure cell into the intakes that would rival nothing at all in front of the T.B.'s. I think this is why there is so much variance of possible bunk of more than 2-3 HP. "Well if you have the right filter, tube, airbox design, you'll have yourself a mini supercharger of sorts." I'm surprise we haven't heard that claim yet... HAH, hah! Well, maybe there is something to that... ???

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Carbon fibre box. When I'm on the dragstrip and remowe the filters is the results compared to the stock box 1-2 Mph more topspeed. That is after I opened up the "infront of radiator" area. Anyway, the design i superior to the stock box and it looks great!