Alarm lock up - all owners should know....

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting gas a couple days ago I got back in the car, and it would start, and stall about 2 seconds later. After realizing it was the alarm (key fob stopped responding and the lighted locks on the doors would not illuminate) I called my trusty Viper tech on his cell. (Brad @ Desert Dodge in Vegas)

Anyhow, he told me that he fixes this problem a few times a year for Viper owners. There is a module called an EEM (electronic entry module) that is above your right leg held to the wall with a rubber strap. If your car ever does what I described, the relay in this unit is 'stuck'. The fix was simple but effective. Dive under the dash, remove the rubber strap and with a pen or a small blade driver, remove the wiring harness from the unit. Pull it out and wait 5 minutes. Once I plugged it back it I heard relays throughout the car click once and I put the strap back on. Then just hold both buttons on the key fob for a moment and you get a horn beep. Now start the car. All done.

Brad says that he hears about this alot, but usually only on really humid days. I happened to be in Carlsbad, Calif. and it was raining. He was right on the money. If I had only read this post instead of authoring it, I could have saved some gray hairs and embarassment. Hope this helps someone someday.

S

SUN RA KAT

Is this the same as when I rarely have my key fob fail to lock my Viper when I press the lock button? It always sems to work about 5 minutes later. This has happened to me maybe 3 times total - each several months apart.

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem except you had it happen while locking as opposed to unlocking. The EEM unit has an air gap in the case that was added in 98 as I understand. (mine has it) I am told it (the gap) is to allow the humidity and heat to get out. Might actually make the problem worse? Anyhow - I figured it is just good info to know....

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I picked up my brand new 2001 GTS ACR a few days ago. After driving a total of 3 miles I was stopped by a cop who wrote me up for a warning for some made up charge. About 15 seconds later, I pulled into an auto parts place to pick up some Mobil One in case I needed some oil since I was about to drive my new snake home to the SF Bay area (abt 400 miles). After getting out of the car I tried to open the door to get something and the door would not open. First time I noticed there are no key holes on the Viper! So I opened the hatch and the alarm sounded. Sheet.
I had a kid climb in since I couldn't squeeze through and he inserted the key. No luck. Doors would not open. I didn't know about the emergency door handles yet. But the power windows did work so he climbed out and I climbed in. The engine would start but stall after a few seconds. I was getting pretty worried. Then I remembered the second key fob and that worked like a charm. I changed the battery in the original fob, tried holding down both buttons, but I have not been able to get it to work. I am wondering if I need to do what you did. Interesting.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. I like the viper because its such a simple basic car then dodge decided to put the most fangled security system in it. I just need a button that unlocks and locks it. When I am in the city sometimes there is alot of interference and I cannot unlock my doors with the fob. Sometimes I can hold both buttons down until the loghts flash and it will work. The dealer, when I bought the car, showed me how to go through the trunk with the key and use the emergency door opener. Seemed fine for emergencys. Until my fob wouldnt work. He never mentioned to tell me that the horn would sound and the ingition would be KILLED!!!. I almost kicked a hole in the stupid car. Would it have hurt to put a regular key lock on the car? Or is that too "old school". Like pushrods and 2 valves per cylinder.

Thats a good tip Jason I will remember that. Because I am a firm beleiver in murphys law.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had this problem several times, all at inopportune moments. There is a much easier solution than you guys are using; pop the hood and disconnect the positive battery lead (in the little junction box on the driver's side). Leave it off for 5 minutes and then reconnect. That should solve the problem. I've replaced the EEM several times and it doesn't correct the issue. You'll just have to live with it. My experience is that it happens most frequently while around a lot of other Vipers, like at the VOI's.

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So this is what I have to look forward to now that I have joined the Viper Nation!! OMG.
I have been driving a yellow Z06 for 2 1/2 years and I really didn't know what to expect when I got this car. Aside from the alarm system ahem... what an awesome car! My wife has great taste and even SHE thinks it is incredible. The gearbox and clutch seem soo much smoother than on the Z06. Yes, the brakes could use an upgrade. Man, I get so many looks, comments, thumbs up in this car. And I haven't even taken it on the track yet!! Not to worry... Viper Days is coming up this weekend!! Yessssss
Gotta love those wipers in the intermittent mode. What a show. And the headlights actually light up the road (NB Corvette engineers) at night.
Can you tell I am excited?