All Viper owners

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do any of you regret buying your Viper? Honestly. Consider everything.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY NOT...how could you regret it?

::edit::...only regret was NOT being able to afford it sooner.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing comes to mind, except perhaps all the people that follow me around, drive along side the car and stare on the interstate. NAH, wish I would have done it sooner.

OP
OP
V

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I was just wondering because I have been reading a lot here and I have seen many posts about things going wrong with your Vipers and you guys seem to get real upset. Plus, I have many people telling me that it would be a poor decision to buy something like this because it will never gain value and it's juts not a very smart finincial decision. and when I hear that It really kind of upsets me. I'm 19 and my life revolves around this car. The only reason why I dont have one now is insurance reasons. I mean hell, I have been working my *** of sinse I turned 15 just so I can get one. If the insurance wasnt real crazy expensive I would be cruisin right next to you guys. I guess I just need a mood uplifter.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regret buying my GTS? Not in any way!

What problems are you speaking of?

It is true that buying a Viper won't be the best financial decision you can make! But it will take away the PAIN of all the other bad decisions you make as soon as you get behind the wheel! :p Stress relief at it's best! Or as you put it, Mood Uplifter!! :2tu:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. First off let me say that I admire you for what you want to accomplish and do. I love the Viper, probably just as much as you do. I am the same age as you was very fortunate to be able to obtain one. Now when the question of, WOULD I SPEND MY MONEY ON THIS CAR AT MY AGE arises, I have to say NO. The thing is that a car depreciates. The car will almost never go up in value. At our age we should not spend money on things like this. If you are smart and do things right, in a few years you could have two or more Vipers. I was VERY fortunate to have my parents buy this car for me but if I was going to buy it myself, I would not have. It is just not a financially stable situation.

What you should do is invest in real estate, the stock market or bonds. That is where the money is and the least risk is. I am currently involved in real estate and my plan is to have my house MORTGAGE FREE by the time I graduate college. It is a huge goal but it is something that will ALMOST NEVER loose value. It is a GREAT asset. I know what you are thinking, but I am just trying to help. I do not want to see a smart and hardworking young man like yourself end up buying the car and then loosing a HUGE chunk of money because of depreciation. Please at least think of what I said.

Hope this helps

Just my .02 cents

Keith

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do it. Your life revolves around a Viper? Better re-think that life. In my opinion, at your age, if you just can't think of anything else to do with your money, if all other financial priorities are in order, investments started, savings building, future somewhat thought of and planned......then go ahead and buy the car. I have to agree with Keith. His parents bought the car for him? Very lucky guy. Not many teenagers in that position.

Been working your ass off since 15? Good! Keep it up and in a few years when things are really stable you'll have a 6 BAY GARAGE, 3 VIPERS, A GT-40, AND WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT.

Answer to first question? No, at 40 when I bought the car, I do not regret it. At 43, I still don't.

Andrew

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew could not put it better. I have been working since 14 and always worked my butt off so that I could have my home. That is my goal now. It is a much more "solid" asset.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding? Unfortunatley insurance premiums stop alot of people from getting a Viper.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do any of you regret buying your Viper? Honestly. Consider everything.
Absolutely. Every one of the 40 or so days I have had it. It is much louder and harsher than I anticipated, and the build quality, well it is like a really nice kit car. That said, I realize that it is the dog days of summer here in the desert (112F yesterday w/55F dew point) which basically means everything sux, and that as the weather changes and the car gets faster and faster, more fun to work on, and I can roll the window down, and now that I realize that a Viper really needs to be a second car, it is all up from here. Drove it this morning and realized that every time I get in the car I like it more (it was in rough shape and I do something to improve it every week so it just keeps getting better a better). So yep I been kicking myself for buying it but every kick is a little softer, and pretty soon there will be no kicking at all.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all relative. I aggree that you need a daily drive, because IF something should happen to the Viper, you don't want to have to fork over a few K to fix it. Buy some old mustang gt, camero, etc. for a daily and then get a older Viper and not only will the insurance be cheap, but you then have the luxury of not HAVING to drive it. I pay about $95 a month on full coverage insurance and I am 26 with a ticket a year :)
I don't regret buying, I do regret though not having enough cash on hand to SC it :)

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with Keith and Andrew.I have always wanted "toys".I worked and planned for mine and families future 1st.If you really care of my opinion.Plan for your $future 1ST!!! Toys will be there later and even will be better and faster.I just purchased my 04 two weeks ago after 5 years of planning @saving.I AM 29 insurance alone is 1800.00 year.But to the question at hand I do not regret buying mine. AS I WAS ALWAYS TOLD "IF YOU HAVE TO ASK HOW MUCH SOMETHING IS OR WILL COST YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT" What that means is if insurance alone will strap your $ whats the point .Again who the he!! am i to talk i have one. :2tu:

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Live for today, there might not be a tommorrow. Your young enjoy your life. Who says you have to own a home? Buy a Condo, rent. When you put off things in life when your young, your old before you know it. My dad always talked about retirement going places with my Mom, travel etc. He spent all his money raising 4 kids. He retired at 65 and died 6 months later! Never left town! It's relative to how much money you make also. JMO

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to disagree. Plan for your future because if you live in the moment then you end up in debt. Do you really want to own a Viper but live at home or have an apartment that you do not own? Your car should not look better than your home. Just my .02 cents again.

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned about 35 cars in my life. 6 trucks. We are talking a car payment here. If you can afford a Viper Buy one, if not buy your next choice.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brandon:

I say wait to buy....stay in school and get the advanced degree. Then do as Andrew said. You will notice more people posting when they have a problem with their car - much fewer people report in to say all is well. The build quality is not the greatest but keep in mind that Dodge had the guts to build this car from a concept hunk. That's impressive in and of itself. My two cents........

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not regret one moment of owning a viper but with that said, I would get a higher education first and have financial stability prior to buying a Viper.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok some of what you guys are saying is true, but, the "Bad investment" and "depreciation" issues are a little off. If he has to have a car anyway a Viper is a better investment than much else. I purchased my '94 in '99 for about 40 and now 5 years later it has not depreciated significantly. A cavalier or some other econobox would be worth much less percentage wise. If he purchases a depreciated Viper, how low could it go?

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was 19, I could not afford a viper (I know there are some very sucessful 19 year olds out there but this is not the case in this scenario and not in most 19 year olds cases) and therefore I think the "40" is best spent on education as an investment in your personal future.

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Andrew and Keith and couldn't have said it better myself. I just turn 38 and bought my 2nd (2000 black on black GTS)viper but my investment are well in order. Take care of your future first. Good luck,*** BLK

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I was just wondering because I have been reading a lot here and I have seen many posts about things going wrong with your Vipers and you guys seem to get real upset. Plus, I have many people telling me that it would be a poor decision to buy something like this because it will never gain value and it's juts not a very smart finincial decision. and when I hear that It really kind of upsets me. I'm 19 and my life revolves around this car. The only reason why I dont have one now is insurance reasons. I mean hell, I have been working my *** of sinse I turned 15 just so I can get one. If the insurance wasnt real crazy expensive I would be cruisin right next to you guys. I guess I just need a mood uplifter.

As far as things going wrong on a Viper.......I have not had a single problem with mine in the little over a year that I have owned it except for a reverse light switch that was inoperable when I purchased vehicle. Even though I have not put a tremendous amount of miles on mine, I feel it is as reliable or more reliable than any other car that I've owned. Even the gas mileage is much better than I expected....over 20mpg on highway.
As far as it not being a smart financial decision.....I never bought mine thinking that I would make money on it. Yes, the car does depreciate....but at a much slower rate than most other cars(like Mopar said). The GenI's initially sold for $40 something and are still selling for $30 something almost 12 years later.....not too bad at all.(not exactly sure on the numbers).
I have owned my 98 for a little over a year and am quite sure I would be able to sell it today for within a few thousand of what I paid for it....again not too bad as far as depreciation.
It cracks me up how the general public thinks Viper owners are very wealthy. I have had people come up to me at gas stations on more then one occasion and ask me if I paid over $100,000 for my car. It is just the exotic look and low production numbers that have given them that perception.
Truth of the matter is you don't have to be a college grad or be super wealthy to own a Viper(contrary to popular beleif). Anyone with a half way decent steady job can have a Viper in their driveway if not by paying cash...then certainly through financing at todays low interest rates.
Andrew and Keith do have a point with your age though. Housing and other more important things in your life should be taking priority over a car.
However, we don't know exactly where you stand on those issues nor what kind of job you have.
I am also a big fan of spending money and buying my toys and fun things at a relatively young age while I am still healthy. I watched my Uncle bust his **** for years and save every penny he ever made. He became very wealthy but never enjoyed his money and that is the way he went to his grave. What good did that do him? I swore as a teenager that would never happen to me and I am still following that philosophy. I am fortunate enough to be getting a phenomenal pension when I retire at a relatively young age so I don't worry too much about the saving money part. I will enjoy it now. You never know when your time is up.
I am sure you are smart enough to figure out if you can afford it or not on a monthly basis. If you buy a Viper it shouldn't be much different than buying any other car and the good thing is if it doesn't work out for you or if by some strange reason you don't like the car, you can always sell it for fairly close to what you paid for it and you will have experienced one hell of a car. I have absolutely no regrets in my purchase and plan on keeping this car for a very long time, one of the best things I have ever spent money on...to me it is worth every penny and more.

I gotta tell ya though...If Vipers were available and I could have afforded one at 19, I am not so sure it would have been a good idea for me.
I was very irresponsible at 19 and I wrecked a 1967 Camaro....2--1968 Camaros and 1--1969 Camaro all within 3 years from my age of 18 to 21. Totaled each and every one of them, racked up 21 points on my license and was lucky I didn't kill myself and even luckier I never hurt or killed anyone else.
Good luck to you.............that damn insurance is a killer at your age....been there... done that.