Almost Wreck!! Experience

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was driving yesterday and enjoying my 94 RT and started to feel the sterring a little weird.. didnt give much of attention so i keept driving, until going over 120 the car started to try to go everywhere:omg:, the wheel didnt help me much and i just tryied to put it back on the road but it kept trying to go left and right... finally got:dunno: the car to a stop and drove it back home slow... just found out the rack and pinion its loose..!!! and by the way... it has only 2 big bolts correct?? does anything like this happen to anyone? why it came loose? vibration maybe? any help.?:dunno:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try calling Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge. I'm certain he can walk you through the diagnosis and perhaps repair procedure.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm glad that you are ok, this could have been fatal to your or the viper. What were you thinking ? The best input is between your ears. If the steering started to feel strange why did you not just either pull over do a quick inspection, or simply go home ? Other cars on the road ?

OP
OP
R

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Two more cars a F430 and 2004 Viper. The thing is that it didnt feel that much until i was speeding but im ok and the car too. And guess what i drove it today after tightening those 2 big bolts and the car is now running great!! the thing is that i dont know why they got loose, i couldnt go under the car, for a better check but hope these are the only 2 bolts the rack and pinion has!!! if anyone knows please advice...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd also do a search. Some years had factory recalls (check with Tator) although I don't think yours was one of the years. Definetely get it on a hoist and check for cracks. Just the rack being loose could cause weld cracks (like any other sports car).

Ted

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The initial post is one of the more disturbing posts I have read in awhile. There is a cardinal rule that should never, ever be violated when driving a high performance vehicle. If you get in the car and something does not feel, sound and/or smell right, stop the car and find out what is wrong before using its performance. Telephones and email work. This Forum works. You are very lucky that you lived to tell about your experience and even more important, you did not injure or kill anyone else.

OP
OP
R

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RTTTed, i will check on it and also will look for cracks, im going to lift the car tomorrow, but i guess and hope it was just a loose bolt... Thanks for the help and yes thanks GOD everything came out fine, without anyone getting hurt..i usually check everything before i get into my shifter, or formula vee, but the Viper its hard to get in there or under it...but got to be more carefull..

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an imperfect world, screws fall out! Heck, I even had the rear sway bar mounting bracket bolts on my '08 come almost all the way out(at apx 2K miles).In any case, I would definitely invest in some locktight.