Alpine Stereo install

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a new Alpine head unit for Christmas for my GTS. It has the Ipod interface, bluetooth, etc. Will all Alpines be a straight forward plug and play R&R? Will I be able to just unplug the OEM unit and plug this one in?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have items like the microphone to 'string' and instal.

My Premier stereo also came with ipod cable which I installed in the glovebox (between the seats at the rear) as well as I installed my Sirrius Sat radio unit to the glovebox lid. See the Illustrated Upgrades.

Not sure if the '97 Alpine connectors are the same, but I doubt it. If you need help with wire colors etc. I may be able to help in a few days when I get back home (where my diagrams are).

Ted

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're comparing aftermarket to OE the only thing that's the same is the name......:rolaugh:

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not plug and play Redsnake, just went through this last fall. I tried to do it myself, ended up taking it to a pro, had him add alpine sub, alpine amp, alpine speakers, yada yada yada. I spent 5 times more than I set out to, but it was well worth it.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you change the stock headunit out and still get the factory amp to work, or is it all DIN cable controlled?

aggie2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did same thing with my '02 RT/10 back in July (new alpine head unit with factory amp). Could have done all the wiring myself, but found it easiest to get a local stereo shop to custom make a harness for about $45. Just bring in the old OEM head unit to "prove" to the guy that it's not a standard alpine plug - he probably won't believe you unless he sees it in person, and you wanna make sure he makes the correct harness. Then, it's as simple as plug and play in your garage. Also, saves having to cut up the factory wiring harness.

(PS: love the flat black stripes!! thinking about going that route on my red RT down the road...)

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did same thing with my '02 RT/10 back in July (new alpine head unit with factory amp). Could have done all the wiring myself, but found it easiest to get a local stereo shop to custom make a harness for about $45. Just bring in the old OEM head unit to "prove" to the guy that it's not a standard alpine plug - he probably won't believe you unless he sees it in person, and you wanna make sure he makes the correct harness. Then, it's as simple as plug and play in your garage. Also, saves having to cut up the factory wiring harness.

(PS: love the flat black stripes!! thinking about going that route on my red RT down the road...)

Thanks for the info and the props. I am not sure yet if I'll tackle the stereo install myself or not.

I have been extremely pleased with the stripes. I definitely recommend them. :2tu:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stereo???? Where???? What does it do????

You can listen to ...MUSIC... in your car? What an interesting concept....;)

Good Luck Redsnake....:)