Aluminum Siils

amsready

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So been driving my 02 RT 10 that I just got. What a blast to drive and my two sons (12 and 14) love it. I got a really decent deal on the car. It needs a little love especially on the sills. From side view they look great. The passenger side has some damage underneath. A few bumps and bruises that I want to repair. Who in Atlanta can I trust to bring the sills to for repair. Also need to know how the insulation is installed. It has stock insulation from what I can see. I think I may need to remove it to get to the inside to persuade some of the dents out. I was thinking maybe a paintless dent removal guy may be able to do the work. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
search for this "MotoIQ.com - Project Viper GTS: Pt 1 - History & Intro" look for his Part 6 (Stuntman)

on page 2 of his great write up, you can see how to take off the side sills, he also goes into replacing/updating the heat shields.

OP
OP
A

amsready

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice article but no mention on how to remove the insulation on the inside of the sill. I guess I just need to remove them and figure it out from there.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My insulation fell off when I removed the side-sills. Pretty sure they are held into place with the same bolts that hold the side-sills to the car.

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey "Side Sill" experts:

When these are painted (like at Prefix) are they treated any differently than any other body panel? or do they require other steps to paint - due to heat?

OP
OP
A

amsready

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are coming of this weekend so I will report back and let you guys know what I find. They are also going to a metal shop to be reworked and then painted. I will post progress pictures throughout the process.

OP
OP
A

amsready

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the sill covers off yesterday. Really easy. Most of the bolts on the lower side are stripped. Thought that would be the case. Planning to do the riv-nut mod but will add a touch of 3M panelbond to the riv-nut before I install them. The insulation just falls out. Looks like its just wedged in there and interlocks with the insulation that backs the pipes nearest to the frame. Assembly was easy as well. Just position the insulation and then start the sill cover from the front of the car and gently lock it into the groove between the frame and the door cover. One of the sills is really damaged while the other is fine. I contacted my metal working guy and he will do his best to fix it up. He is a paint-less dent removal guy that really knows his stuff. All the dents are on the bottom side of the sill cover and can't be seen unless you look under the car. Be it as it may, if I know the damage is there, it will get fixed. That's just the way I am. I will post my repair and rework of the process as I go. I know it has been done here before but maybe I can shed some light on the methods that I will use for the repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang