Aluminum vs Chromolly flywheel

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why go with an aluminum flywheel if chromolly is stronger and more durable? Price and weight are relatively equal:dunno:

Reaction score
Most of the time the steel flywheel is more durable, but I have yet to see an issue with the aluminum. The Steel one is generally more expensive though, it will handle high temps better when racing and is better for constantly higher RPM's. I think it is a toss up for a street car.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive run alum, in my last three vipers with no issues and plan to try the chromolly next for comparison.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator has a paxton srt on his shop a few years ago. The flywheel broke and came up thru the floorboards, then went thru the windshield. Just missing te drivers feet. Ask Tator his opinion on using one with a SC

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with Chormoly one personaly. You can get lighter with the aluminum but I didnt want to risk it. Heel/Toe is way improved if you track the car.:2tu:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chromoly here, I believe the alum. is only 1lb lighter and figured I'd never have to buy another flywheel again if I got the chromoly.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plum is right, i chatted with Tator and he told me the aftermath of a exploding flywheel

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtJUVyEyYY&p=27B225A7040B1F25&playnext=1&index=7[/media]

check out 2:28 and beyond in the video, you will see the aftermath of a clutch exploding and you get the idea of how a exploding flywheel could really mess up your legs :crazy2:

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've had two of the CBHause chromoly flywheels. I like them! Not quite as light as aluminum, but they're strong and WAY lighter than stock. Not a night and day difference, but you'll notice it revs slightly quicker.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had two of the CBHause chromoly flywheels. I like them! Not quite as light as aluminum, but they're strong and WAY lighter than stock. Not a night and day difference, but you'll notice it revs slightly quicker.

In two different cars or did one go bad and need replacement?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty sure tator told me there wasnt much of a weight savings

fatboy, it was the aluminum one

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plum is right, i chatted with Tator and he told me the aftermath of a exploding flywheel

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtJUVyEyYY&p=27B225A7040B1F25&playnext=1&index=7[/media]

check out 2:28 and beyond in the video, you will see the aftermath of a clutch exploding and you get the idea of how a exploding flywheel could really mess up your legs :crazy2:

vid worth watching, man, that will ruin your day

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vid worth watching, man, that will ruin your day

Interesting video, I would have sworn that the car had an automatic in it the way it shifted on the dyno...yet it had a clutch in during the failure.

It just didn't shift like a manual car on the dyno or road section of the video, very little rpm drop between gears.:dunno:

Cheers,
George

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****. Id be pissed and thankful at the same time. So was it an defective flywheel or because the alum is not strong enough?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ask chuck for his opinion but the way i remember it, he thought the alum was not strong enough for the torque

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So did this only happen because it was an Aluminum Flywheel? Could this ever happen if it were steel like the Chromoly? Also, did this only happen with the Aluminum because of a lot of power and torque?

I noticed in the video the firebird recorded 526.64rwhp on the dyno...was that just overkill on a firebird? Basically, if your car had less than 600rwhp on a Viper using an Aluminum Flywheel, could this ever happen? :confused:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtJUVyEyYY&p=27B225A7040B1F25&playnext=1&index=7[/media]check out 2:28 and beyond in the video, you will see the aftermath of a clutch exploding and you get the idea of how a exploding flywheel could really mess up your legs :crazy2:

Tator has a paxton srt on his shop a few years ago. The flywheel broke and came up thru the floorboards, then went thru the windshield. Just missing te drivers feet. Ask Tator his opinion on using one with a SC

pretty sure tator told me there wasnt much of a weight savings

fatboy, it was the aluminum one

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a lot of high hp cars with aluminum fly wheels, never heard of an issue...

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have installed about 2 dozen fidanza aluminum flywheels. never had an issue. they are race spec certified, and they are rebuildable. scorch one and just replace the steel face inserts.
they are lighter and they really help. i even have one in my srt10 ram truck and it feels wonderful. you wouldnt think that it would considering how heavy the truck is, and it works great.

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have installed about 2 dozen fidanza aluminum flywheels. never had an issue. they are race spec certified, and they are rebuildable. scorch one and just replace the steel face inserts.
they are lighter and they really help. i even have one in my srt10 ram truck and it feels wonderful. you wouldnt think that it would considering how heavy the truck is, and it works great.

agree with gary on this..... loved my fidanza. :2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the CBHause Chromoly Flywheel? I was just looking at the Steel Chromoly Flywheels offered on most sites for around $380-$400. Is this CBHause one a lot different or pretty much the same one?

Anyone have experience with the CBHaus chromolly flywheel?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, so basically what I'm seeing is:

The Fidanza cost more money, weighs a lot less than stock being Aluminum, but weighs slightly less than Chromoly to produce quicker revs and not lose as much crank HP in the end giving you possibly a higher number on the dyno? However, being Aluminum isn't as durable, especially dealing with Heat. So more than likely you would have to replace this flywheel in the future at some point?

The Chromoly cost less money, weighs a lot less than stock, but weighs slightly more than Fidanza thus producing slightly slower revs than Aluminum since it's steel. However, weighs enough less than stock to still produce quicker revs. Also, the Chromoly allows you to not lose as much crank HP in the end giving you possibly a higher number on the dyno just like the Fidanza(I'm assuming not as much since it weighs more).. However, being that it is Steel is very durable and can deal with Heat very well. So more than likely you would never have to replace this flywheel.

So from my data if I'm correct. If you're looking to squeeze out every bit of HP you can and notice the fastest revs go with Fidanza. If you're looking for quicker revs and also trying to squeeze out some extra HP(knowing your gains will be slightly less than Fidanza), but looking for the most durable option without having to replace the part in the future, than your choice would most likely be Chromoly.

Also, from that video showing the exploding flywheel and the fact it was Fidanza, it seems buying the Chromoly would give you a somewhat better piece of mind. Unless, what happened was out of the ordinary and would never happen on a N/A car or any car not putting out ridiculous power. :smirk:

I haven't bought my flywheel yet, but will be within the next couple of months so I'm trying to decide on which to go with. I'm leaning towards Chromoly, because it seems you're still gaining overall in improvement over stock since it's a lot lighter, just not as light as Fidanza, but it's also more durable and slightly cheaper. Just seems like the better one to go with from the information I've gathered so far....

Anyway, do these facts seem accurate on both flywheels, or am I wrong?

Last edited:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the jerky parking lot drive with the aluminum, people will think you are a *****.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat is a fickle thing. I can certainly understand the theory that the aluminum will get hotter faster potentially leading to early falure, but it will also dissipate heat faster too. Once a steel flywheel gets hot, it will retain heat longer as well. I suppose it boils down to application. Properties of the metals change with heat as well. S

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some metals metals perform better when warm andother become more prone to failure. I would have to believe Findaza has done the R&D to determine the best characteristics leading to their product. SFI rated. Not sure about the other. Anyone know of a Findaza to fail?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the jerky parking lot drive with the aluminum, people will think you are a *****.

Yup, I forgot to mention this information as well. I'm definitely favoring Chromoly too for the fact my car won't be bucking as much at low speeds.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I forgot to mention this information as well. I'm definitely favoring Chromoly too for the fact my car won't be bucking as much at low speeds.

You can replace the friction surface of a Fidanza for about $53, it's rebuildable, don't have to remove the flywheel from the car either. So as long as it's not egg shaped you're in good shape. It IS SFI rated so chances of a failure on the street are minimal. And don't think that just because a flywheel is steel it can't explode, you'd be very wrong.

Also, the chrome moly flywheels aren't available for 2004 models [ and maybe some others ? ] or so I was told by a very knowledgeable vendor here.

--FQB

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are confusing revs with hp. The lighter flywheels do not increase hp by a significant measurable amount. They alter revs based on what your application is, like drag vs. autocross.

And for those that can't drive with a lightened flywheel through a parking lot I suggest a Prius or similar car that any schoolgirl could drive :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohed2003