Always Hard.....

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No this is not a thread about ****** :) I have a brake problem. I have recently updated pads to HPC street Hawks and new rotors drilled and slotted. I bed the pads but the brakes still do not feel right. One issue is that I dont know how they are supposed to feel. How much travel should be in the brake pedal with engine running? My pedal almost feels the same with engine on or off. My other cars with power brakes pedal almost goes to floor with engine on and hard with engine off. The Viper pedal is pretty much hard with the engine on or off? The car still feels like its not going to stop even from 30mph? I checked the vaccum is good and I get a hiss from the check valve at the booster when I push it so I think vaccum is getting to the booster. Could my power brakes not be working?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
So what happens when you push brake pedal firmly BEFORE you start engine and keep pedal down as you start engine? As engine starts, the firmly depressed brake pedal should go further toward the floor if the booster is working. Others may add more useful insights.

OP
OP
O

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pushing the pedal while starting the car it moves down maybe an inch but then its hard as a rock. My other cars Vette, Mustang etc go almost to the floor with the same test.

OP
OP
O

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone make a bigger caliper for the rear that works with the stock 13 rims? I know about Toms 42mm caliper but what else is there? I took a drive hitting the brakes alot. The fronts were nice and hot but the back claipers were barely warm...obviously they arent doing any work and I removed the spring in the proportion valve !

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No this is not a thread about ****** :) I have a brake problem. I have recently updated pads to HPC street Hawks and new rotors drilled and slotted. I bed the pads but the brakes still do not feel right. One issue is that I dont know how they are supposed to feel. How much travel should be in the brake pedal with engine running? My pedal almost feels the same with engine on or off. My other cars with power brakes pedal almost goes to floor with engine on and hard with engine off. The Viper pedal is pretty much hard with the engine on or off? The car still feels like its not going to stop even from 30mph? I checked the vaccum is good and I get a hiss from the check valve at the booster when I push it so I think vaccum is getting to the booster. Could my power brakes not be working?

my 2001 feels the Exact same way, I'm running EBC red stuff pads if I remember right ( I wanted pads with very little dust and no noise) . my F350 powerstroke with 40" tires on it and stock brakes stops better then my viper does. I think I'm going to go back to stock pads less sombody els has a recomendation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang