Am I the only guy who likes his stock exhaust stock?

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the whistle sound of the smooth tubes and K&N filter.Sweet.I think I will keep my exhaust stock for now.Just bought my 1st viper in May.

Sure it could be much louder but I love that sound it has the way it is. I hear about 4 or 5 distinct types of sounds from my motor and exhaust while driving.:drive:The so-called turbo sound of that wgistle, the regular UPS sounding truck sound (worst one), the C-10 ROAR on the Expressway,the very very quiet sound while in 3rd gear around the city,and a combination of all at certain times.:)

97gtsmonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know what you mean. but there is nothing like a corsa exhaust and high flow cats and i still hear my whistle (but from my paxton) lol

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just use whatever exhaust you want I guess :)

But I'm telling ya that whistle is because your smooth tubes are not clamped correctly. They may even be larger a ID that should be used.

My first Viper whistled, until I adjusted the clamps; the other 4 Vipers did not whistle. Incl my current ACR with OE smooth tubes btw.

(V10 not C10?)

:2tu:

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get an after market exhaust and you'll never say this again. Stock sounds like crap....period.

I love the whistle sound of the smooth tubes and K&N filter.Sweet.I think I will keep my exhaust stock for now.Just bought my 1st viper in May.

Sure it could be much louder but I love that sound it has the way it is. I hear about 4 or 5 distinct types of sounds from my motor and exhaust while driving.:drive:The so-called turbo sound of that wgistle, the regular UPS sounding truck sound (worst one), the C-10 ROAR on the Expressway,the very very quiet sound while in 3rd gear around the city,and a combination of all at certain times.:)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Park next to a Gen2 96-99 with lumpy cam and aftermarket cats and exhaust you will think differently...I vowed to leave my B/W stock but couldn't stand it anymore. Hi-flo cats and Corsa now it sounds like a Viper should.

By the way, the smooth tubes and filters DO whistle when installed correctly.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SHOCKER OF THE DAY: You may in fact not be the only one!

I did not like my stock exhaust sound, but put on the smooth tubes and though I get no 'whistle' the deeper exhaust note almost cures my itch for more performance sound.

I just really do not like 'loud' and I've gone through the 8,000 posts (took me a bit more than 2 minutes to read them Dave!) on exhausts/combos/endless descriptions of preferences and ended up pretty satisfied where I am.

I could be tempted by low-flo cats and 'stock' thereafter for no other reason than sill temps, but if it made my car much noisier, I might regret.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slide one of your smooth tubes up over either of these OE tube locator nubs during the install, and you'll get a whistle.

That's as far as I'm going with the 'installed correctly' theory. :rolleyes:

You must be registered for see images

How do you suddenly have a whistle when there wasn't one before you started 'fixing it' ?

You must be registered for see images attach

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should try a rear muffler delete! Easy to do and gives the car a slightly nicer rumble, and I just happen to be selling one :D :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If whistles are your thing, buy a couple of these Exhaust Whistles and stick them in your tailpipes. :D The stock exhaust is not bad but I didn't like the UPS note coming out of it. Whenever I drove up/down my street my neighbors thought the UPS man was coming with their packages. With the Belanger exhaust...they fear armageddon is coming their way. :D

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should try a rear muffler delete! Easy to do and gives the car a slightly nicer rumble, and I just happen to be selling one :D :D

And I have just happen to have a Snake Oyl rear muffler delete for sale :2tu:

*Crap didnt read your whole post 99.... :D

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock exhaust *****! I have B&B and LOVE the sound! Mine also whistles like a SC with the smooth tubes and Vipair it sounds pretty cool followed by the street rumbling from my B&B!!

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been to most of the VOI events with up to 850 vipers. Many have all types of after market exhaust. After listening to most I discovered that the after market exhaust only makes the bad notes of a V 10 sound louder. Stay with what you have!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only guy who likes his stock exhaust stock?

Yes.

Replace the rear muffler with an H or X pipe. It still won't be very loud but it will give your Viper a nice burbling sound like a big cube motor should have. You won't be sorry, I promise.

Also if it is a RT/10 never drive with the rear glass in. You get a little more air on the back of your neck but less wind overall and more exhaust sound without it.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Fix your intake, there is no whistle when you set it up right.

No you are not the only guy that likes the stock exhaust note..

VIPER-TECH.jpg

Now a supercharger whine....that IS something to write about.

Last edited by a moderator:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been to most of the VOI events with up to 850 vipers. Many have all types of after market exhaust. After listening to most I discovered that the after market exhaust only makes the bad notes of a V 10 sound louder. Stay with what you have!
:rolleyes: You must not understand the sound of stock vs. aftermarket. There is no way stock sounds better then aftermarket exhaust,:rolaugh: if you think it does you MUST be a little loopy in the head or need a hearing aid? Stock exhaust sounds like complete crap to me, but different stokes for different folks i guess ?:dunno:
One thing is for sure it is quieter then aftermarket exhaust, but better sounding tone, no way.

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the stock exhaust sound. I drove a couple others with headers and other modifications and preferred the stock sound. It is all a matter of personal preference. I am also a purist and I will keep the car as stock as possible. I am going to get new front speakers as the stock ones ****. If that doesn't help, I will continue to make incremental changes, but Big-n-Italian told me just changing the speakers made a big enough difference.