And so it begins *** DEALER MARKUP***

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen some liberal posts on here and seen some debate from liberal opinions. However, if one of them endorses this as a good idea or fair, they are lying. Plain and simple. How is this not communist?
It will create $9b in "revenue" for the govt over the next 10 years.

The govt spends $10b a day.

That will run the govt for 2.5hr a year.

It is laughable!

The White House said in an April 5 statement that under current law ‘‘some wealthy individuals’’ can accumulate ‘‘substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of retirement saving.’’
Makes me sick. Obama has netted $14m since becoming President.

When is he handing ALL that over to the govt so he can live a "reasonable" retirement!

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
199K_.JPG

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disgusting, while I sit and wait with no idea when mine will be built - they have no plans to sell them.

No wonder these dealers only get 2 cars allocated

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it this way.....a bunch of dealers spent money to be SRT trained and certified (25,000 dollars/dealer) and some to be SRT Viper trained. Many of these dealers are going to discover that they will not get orders for the Vipers for the markup reason or few SRT vehicle orders. Law of attrition. Most of us are going to order from only a small number of dealers such as Woodhouse or Tomball. The rest will fade away.

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a free market. The simple answer is to shop elsewhere.
Id offer the dealer the MSRP, if they refuse to sell then tell them the name of the dealer who you are going to buy from at MSRP and tell them they have lost your business.
Simple.

Unless you want to live in a country with central control of pricing like North Korea or Argentina then get with the program, its called a free market, participants are free to buy and sell as they see fit IMO.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have given over MSRP ($5k) for a vehicle before; but, what some dealers are asking for is insane.

I was in line for 14 months to buy the ZR1. The dealer in Ohio I had purchased my last Z06 from called and said he had a ZR1 inbound and I could have it for $60,000 over list. I passed and that is what eventually caused me to buy a Viper. After owning Vettes 25 years I doubt if I will ever buy a Vette again.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it this way.....a bunch of dealers spent money to be SRT trained and certified (25,000 dollars/dealer) and some to be SRT Viper trained. Many of these dealers are going to discover that they will not get orders for the Vipers for the markup reason or few SRT vehicle orders. Law of attrition. Most of us are going to order from only a small number of dealers such as Woodhouse or Tomball. The rest will fade away.

$25,000 spread over 5 years Is peanuts to a business.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy solution, don't buy it.

By the way my car (2001 GTS)is always for sale for 140k, but ill take 130k. I expect it will be for sale a long time. Lol. (Please note the sarcasm in that statement, who cares what dealers price it at, your not forced to buy it)

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy solution, don't buy it.

By the way my car (2001 GTS)is always for sale for 140k, but ill take 130k. I expect it will be for sale a long time. Lol. (Please note the sarcasm in that statement, who cares what dealers price it at, your not forced to buy it)

I care, when I am waiting for who knows when for mine to be built. Money down, sitting and waiting, while this sits and collects dust. That is why I find this preposterous.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperSmith......good point but if dealers are marking up their cars.......few are going to buy them. Most of us are going to go with the Viper dealers we know and trust. Even though it may be peanuts, overall to maintain SRT techs (and keep current ) is, over time, going to be expensive. So a lot of dealers who spent the money to train a tech and ultimately sell one or two Vipers are going to find it is not worth it over time.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could buy a (2013 GTS Viper) and a (2013 Ram Longhorn) for that price.

Haha...Or a fully optioned GTS & an incredible garage build to put her in:rolaugh:

SRT Red Track Pack dealer cars & Launch Editions are Sooooo Easter time frame @ this point. What's up with the Custom order builds? Think they'll start in May? Will these cars change to Model Year 2013 & 1/2?:lmao:

chris955

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I inquired at at Tomball, they told me they are selling the SRT at 15k above sticker. I said I would wait till or find somewhere else where I can pay MSRP, he replied "I knew you would say that". because of that comment, I will make sure when I upgrade to a newer Viper it wont be thru Tomballs

laszmann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I inquired at at Tomball, they told me they are selling the SRT at 15k above sticker. I said I would wait till or find somewhere else where I can pay MSRP, he replied "I knew you would say that". because of that comment, I will make sure when I upgrade to a newer Viper it wont be thru Tomballs

This is interesting since I just bought a Stryker Red from Tomball at Sticker! If you look in the most recent issue of the Viper Club of America magazine you will find an add for Tomball which states in part:
  1. Largest selection available in country
  2. All 2013 Vipers sold at MSRP
  3. Free transport
  4. All trades welcome

Apparently the individual you communicated with wasn't aware of their advertisement.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait til the newness wears off on these and the prices will drop as history shows. Trying to be the first on the block or city to have one just might cost you. And even at MSRP you lose a ton just driving off the dealer lot.:crazy2:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my ACR for now. Waiting for all the options....to become available....and maybe the next ACR.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip! I was set on Tomball for a 2014 SRT Jeep. Change of plans.

BTW I completely agree with the free market argument, I'm just exercising my right to buy elsewhere.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I was set on Tomball for a 2014 SRT Jeep. Change of plans.

BTW I completely agree with the free market argument, I'm just exercising my right to buy elsewhere.

Instead of believing everything you read in the Internet, you should call and ask first. Tomball has stated before they sell at MSRP. If not, this is news to me.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a Red SRT Red at my local dealership with $25k juice on the sticker. Its not even a GTS...what a rip.

Back in November of last year I too contacted Tomball about a LE. They wanted thousands over MSRP and got defensive when I asked about the price. It didnt seem as though they wanted a deposit as they asked for me to just mail a check for $142k (without anything but the check documented) The person I spoke with was pushy, said he was putting "the order in" when I hadnt agreed to purchase it yet (isnt it an "allocation" anyway? how do u "put an order in" on an "allocation?") and had a very poor attitude and approach IMO.

He sent me an e-mail asking if the reason I wouldnt do business with him is because he wasn't willing to tell me what he paid for the cars. I sent an e-mail back telling him the actual reasons that I wouldnt do business with him. One being that he wouldnt break down the six figure price; another being that I have purchased several exotics in the past and never in my life have I just sent in a six figure check without a signed contract/purchase order or at least an e-mail; another reason was the "F" rating I found with the Better Business Bureau; another was how he kept hanging up and calling back citing a faulty computer as the problem as it came across odd and unprofessional to me; ultimately I told him that the reason I didnt want to do business with him was his attitude & approach.

He wrote back appologizing, thanking me for the e-mail and indicating that he will work hard to learn from his mistakes.

Now I realize that these guys must get a lot of tire kickers calling & coming in. I also realize that sustained profitability is the name of the game in the private sector. But obviously someone contacting you is the real deal with the resources & intention to purchase.

Tomball Dodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not sure who you spoke with but we have sold everyone of our Vipers at "MSRP" and your statements are completely and 100% false........ Anyone who has purchased knows what we are selling our new cars for MSRP.......

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped by a local dealer in Boca on vacation so the wife could sit inside one. "No BS Pricing" indeed

You must be registered for see images attach

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha! Ha! That is funny. Well aside from my hatred of dealers who screw you and mark things up and provide unprofessional service after paying full MRSP or more for a showcase manufacturer vehicle, the fact of history remains. How many 1992 RT/10 owners that spent $25k, $50K, $75k, $100k, $125k+ above sticker are reaping the benefits of that early purchase? None! Now granted many bought like that because they were really not sure if Dodge would produce more that a single year run so it was truly get it while you can as there were no used ones and only a handful of new. Doesn't justify but makes sense in a weird way.

Fast forward to 2013, we already know there will be a 2014+ and there is a fairly decent supply of used GENs, so there is zero rationale to justify a stepped up purchase like this. If these people like this have the money to blow like this, then get ready for severe devaluation of the GEN V in a year or so because it is these same idiots who will jump on the next new "got to have it" vehicle like an NSX or whatever. They care little as money means nothing to their silver spooned behinds.

So while others think that it is okay to just jump up the price and allow dealerships to charge whatever they want because it is a free market, sorry you need to wake up. It affects everything and everyone. Every owner of a new GEN V is affected in a negative way, history will unfortunately repeat itself.

Then again I guess I should not complain because I can't afford a new one right now at these prices either, but in the scenerio above, it will happen a lot sooner that I had planned. Then again I am banking the little I have left after our future (16 days and counting) son's college, etc. savings funds, for a 25th Anniversary Viper as that should be a very special one. King of the Special Editions Viper! Can't see Dodge/SRT missing out on that one.

Enough of my soap box, as I am really enjoying this bare bones 96' RT/10 I traded straight across for my 69' Mach 1. As much as I wanted to have a better interior, better stereo, better ride, less NVH, this and that, there is something so simple and innocent about a car like this with no door handles, no windows, no fixed roof, no sound deadner, no cruise control, no fancy gauges, no air bags, no ABS, no TC, no ESC, no this and no that. Weird as I am actually enjoying it more than my 06' SRT-10 Coupe I had. I can't explain the role reversal and change on stance I have. Neither can I make that understanding of my wife, who absolutely loves the 96' RT/10 and now tells me she really didn't like the 06' SRT-10 Coupe but suffered through it because she knew I liked it.

As much as the new Viper is a fine piece of machinery and fixed ALL the areas I complained about and tried to mod to fix on my 06' Coupe, the fact remains that the new car at these prices is over $100k+ more than this 96' RT/10 we just picked up. If I care for it and truly drive it to where it was designed, is a new GEN V truly $100k+ more fun?

Okay now really taking the second foot off the soap box. Seriously, just glad to be back after last year's health events and hope to share some picture of our new "Old" Viper and new son in a few weeks. :)

Thanks
Rick

Last edited:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is strictly a supply and demand issue. The car is new, there are none available and some people are willing to accept the mark up and pay it.
My understanding is a car dealer purchases the car from Chrysler....Chrysler does not "loan" them the car to sit on the lot for free. They may get flooring funding with interest an rate for 60, 90 or 120 days, maybe from the manufacturer or an outside credit company like GE Capital (I'm just guessing here, not a car dealer). What I'm getting at it's their damn car and they can sell it for whatever they feel it will bring. I didn't see anybody who purchased a Gen 3 or Gen 4 under MSRP complain?

So for those not willing to shop around for MSRP or wait until supply meets demand, many dealers will continue to attempt to get a mark up.

Apparently nobody on this forum has ever had issues paying extra for the following:

-Over $3000.00 for a single Super Bowl ticket
-Over $1500.00 to sit ringside at a UFC fight
-First Class airline tickets
-Paying more than the asking price for a house since the market demand is high (at least in my area)

For those that did buy at MSRP, if the car still stays a hot commodity and is in high demand and continues to get a mark up premium, you may have a car worth more than MSRP even 6 months from now...how's that for an equity bump?

George

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several dealers around Dallas that are doing the same thing. I have called them to tell them that I will not be recommending their dealerships for purchase to my members, as we have great sponsor dealers that seem to do just fine selling at sticker.

If they get this kind of markup from an uninformed person, or a person who can't wait. I say bully for them, however, it won't be off me, and I've done my part telling them anyone could get this car somewhere else.

Bottom line, you'll never recoup this money you spend on a markup on this car, so if you wanna keep it forever, and have to be first owner on a rare car, awesome, great for you, just don't try and sell me your 1992 viper for 250k, cause you paid 200k over sticker just so you could be first.

I like the superbowl example above, yup a $500 ticket goes for $3k, and you had the experience of a lifetime, and there is no real value at all, just like here... So if you gotta have it, now then oh well. Where the analogy breaks down is that there are tons of these "superbowls" everywhere, and they pop up all the time. You can wait til August, get a used one, or a brand new 2014, save 50k, but you waited 6 months...