Another dead battery, or ????

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly going on my 4th battery in 3 years. I do not drive it that often. I will usually drive the car every other weekend.

So, I finally made my first 1/4mi runs in the Viper at the dragstrip in Bowling Green, KY. Had a very good time there, until I tried to leave. I turned the key and NOTHING. The engine did not try to turn over and there was no clicking sounds from the starter. I know a dead/weak battery can cause numerous different issues. Previously when my battery has needed replacement, I could either start my car up normally(but it would die out when I came to a stop under no throttle), or I would have to go 1/2 to full throttle on start up to start it and also apply throttle when stopping. The previous 3 failures allowed me to at least start my car.

I ended up having some people push me and was able to start the car by popping the clutch out in second gear. I was able to make it 1.5hrs back home. Once in the garage, I shut it down. I tried to restart it, and NOTHING happened.

Does this sound like a battery issue? I'm about 99% sure it is, but I'm also wondering if this problem may be the starter. Shouldn't I at least hear it click? There have been no issues until this happened yesterday. The car has started and ran great. I have had the battery tender attached to the car, although not 100% of the time it's been sitting.

Just wanted to know if there was something I should look into before picking up another battery. Thanks!

Ted

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, it seems like I spent time last night helping another TN guy with battery problems. What do ya'll do up there? Sabotage your own cars? :D Oh wait, I went through four Optima Redtops in 2 years, so I have NO room to be talking anyway :rolaugh: Have you checked for a drain on your battery? Aftermarket CD player, amp, a bare wire thats rubbing on something, etc? What type battery have you been buying?

D

DAMN YANKEE

I buy from Napa once every four years whether it needs it or not ($65) and run a $7 charging system seen in The Illustrateds. I put very few miles on the rig. You have larger issues, but when you resolve them, get a reasonably good sealed battery and read the Illustrated Guides section on installing a $7 charger, Its all you need.

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, it seems like I spent time last night helping another TN guy with battery problems. What do ya'll do up there? Sabotage your own cars? :D Oh wait, I went through four Optima Redtops in 2 years, so I have NO room to be talking anyway :rolaugh: Have you checked for a drain on your battery? Aftermarket CD player, amp, a bare wire thats rubbing on something, etc? What type battery have you been buying?

What the hell do you think I was doing when I got home last night? My advice was to also change the battery. :D

I have no idea how to check for a drain. I guess a bare wire "could" be rubbing on something, but not anything I can see. I used an Optima Redtop, and now have gone through 3 Duralast Golds. I get a free replacement with the Duralast every year, or less. :D
I have no aftermarket electronics. The pcm has been modifed by the previous owner.

Here are my voltage readings:

12.95 at rest.
12.37 with the key in the run position.

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I buy from Napa once every four years whether it needs it or not ($65) and run a $7 charging system seen in The Illustrateds. I put very few miles on the rig. You have larger issues, but when you resolve them, get a reasonably good sealed battery and read the Illustrated Guides section on installing a $7 charger, Its all you need.

Awesome write-up!! I've already got this, though:

You must be registered for see images

The light on the charger is green today, but there is still no action when trying to start the car. :mad:

Sapphire RT/Tn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was with Ken sat nite at Providence when his "shut down". It turns out it was the battery. When we were ready to leave, his doors had locked on their own and the remote would not open them. When Ken got in the car it would start and run for a few seconds and then die. After the new battery was installed, the doors opened and it started right up.
A BIG thanks to Chip for his late nite help.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the wal-mart MAXX battery in my car for the last 3 years without any issues. I have to give props to it for being a reliable battery and if something does go wrong, the store is always open :D :D

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was with Ken sat nite at Providence when his "shut down". It turns out it was the battery. When we were ready to leave, his doors had locked on their own and the remote would not open them. When Ken got in the car it would start and run for a few seconds and then die. After the new battery was installed, the doors opened and it started right up.
A BIG thanks to Chip for his late nite help.

It wasn't just me.:rolleyes: Chad and Cyaford were the ones searching the forum for solutions. Thanks fellow VCA members. BTW, I like the "RT/Tn". :2tu:

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the hell do you think I was doing when I got home last night? My advice was to also change the battery. :D

I have no idea how to check for a drain. I guess a bare wire "could" be rubbing on something, but not anything I can see. I used an Optima Redtop, and now have gone through 3 Duralast Golds. I get a free replacement with the Duralast every year, or less. :D
I have no aftermarket electronics. The pcm has been modifed by the previous owner.

Here are my voltage readings:

12.95 at rest.
12.37 with the key in the run position.

Checking battery drain is easy! buy a test light, disconnect + battery cable, clip the aligator clip to + cable then the pointy end to + post of battery. if it lights up there is a draw. but make sure you pull the radio/nav system fuse so it won't throw you off and lite up because of the clock is always powered!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang