Another New Member Part II

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who read my previous post a few days ago, I purchased my 01 Sapphire GTS this weekend. What an experience! Literally 5 minutes into my return trip, I had people in their vehicles taking pictures of me and the car. I had to cover a little over 400 miles on my return trip, so I could tell this was going to be a great trip. I had contemplated having the vehicle shipped, but I not only wanted to inspect the vehicle in person, I also want to make sure there were no serious mechanical or electrical issues - there is only one, which I will address below.

Upon arriving at the dealership, I was handed the keys and allowed to take it for a test drive. I was a little taken aback by being handed the keys and allowed to drive it at my leisure. I have seen a few Vipers now in my search for "the" car, but I had never heard a completely stock example. I was a little surprised how nice the exhaust sounded after reading some of the accounts of how the V10 more closely resembled the exhaust note of that of a UPS truck. Perhaps I'm not as critical as others or I have not given enough credit to how good a UPS truck sounds. :)

First impressions.

I have sat in quite a few Vipers although admittedly never driven one. I turned the key and the engine started without hesitation. The first thing I did was nearly miss the brake pedal and step onto the gas. The pedal lay out certainly takes some getting used to. All of the pedals seem to be about 3 inches to the left of where I am used to. I pulled out of the dealership cautiously, signaled right, and off I went. You simply cannot get an appreciation for the fighter jet type feel you get once you are out on the road. It made me feel more connected with the road and the car, both of which I was very happy with. The vehicle shook, it bounced, it was noisy, it was raw....I absolutely loved it. I don't think I quit smiling for my entire test drive....all this without taking the engine above 3.5k rpms. I was not anxious to have the back end kick out in the middle of my first test drive with cold tires, so this was more to verify the soundness of the vehicle. I returned to the dealership and the first words out of my mouth upon exiting the vehicle were, "I'll take it."

20 minutes of signing paperwork and friendly back and forth conversation and I was on my way. Perhaps the fastest purchase I have ever completed on a vehicle. All of the negotiation was done prior to my arrival, so I just needed to complete some paperwork and hand over a check.

So, not to bore you guys with the rest of the details, it was 400 miles of people racing up to see the car, stopping at gas stations and having people come out of the cracks to see and get a better look at the vehicle. It was certainly an unforgettable experience.

Now, a couple questions:

The vehicle did not have a manual. I suspect the original owner decided that he did not want to part with it. I have ordered a replacement, hopefully to arrive soon, but wanted to ask a few questions until it arrives.

1. Opening the driver's side door does not turn the two overhead lights on, the passenger side door does. I assume there is a switch somewhere on the door that is not functioning properly? Does anyone know where that switch is located? Bottom of door, back side where it latches, etc?

2. Does the alarm automatically activate when you lock the doors with the key fob? I am asking this in reference to winter storage. I would hate to lock the doors and have the alarm draining the battery as it sits in a garage.

3. Now, this question is more region specific. I have made an appointment to have my car state inspected on Friday at Montrose Dodge in Maryland. I chose this place because it was a 5 star dealer. Does this mean anything? Probably not, but I was hoping they would be reputable as that 5 star designation cannot be given away freely can it? For my own sanity, I'm going to ask to ride along during the "test drive" to ensure proper mechanical functioning. Is this allowed or am I going to simply aggravate the tech by doing this?

I have a picture on this computer that I can upload once I figure out how to do so...

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase although you should have bought mine...jk

To answer your questions:

1. The light should come on if the driver door is opened..Im not sure where this is triggered on the door though.

2. Yes the alarm does

3.I have had problems at dealerships that have had the 5 star rating. One in particular did not even know how to close my hood. I'm not sure how they get this rating but keep in mind this does not make them Dodge dealership gods.

OP
OP
C

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase although you should have bought mine...jk

To answer your questions:

1. The light should come on if the driver door is opened..Im not sure where this is triggered on the door though.

2. Yes the alarm does

3. 5 star does not necessarily mean anything..I have had problems at dealerships that have had the 5 star rating. I do not know how they get this 5 star rating

In all honesty, if you were a little closer, I would have probably purchased yours.

I will inspect the door this evening to see if I can locate anything around the door. Maybe I'll try activating the alarm with the door ajar. If the switch is signaling a closed condition, it would allow the alarm to activate without incident correct?

Your comment regarding the 5 star dealer does not give me the warm and fuzzy reassurances I was looking for....

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the dealership has a Viper tech. If so you should be ok. Not too sure about the door. Seems minor to me.

For storage I would disconnect the battery. Although the battery is behind the driver side rear wheel you can disconnect the terminal under the hood.

How many miles are on the car, did you get a warranty?

OP
OP
C

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car has a tick over 6600 miles. No warranty with this vehicle...

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you disconnect the battery you will reset the PCM and when you start it up it will run really rough for the first 10 mins or so until it relearns. Just put a battery tender on it instead of disconnecting it.

If you search through the history of this forum it will most likely answer 90% of any/all of your questions. There is a LOT of good info here.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new purchase. Very nice choice. As for your service question, I would say find a dealership that has a "Viper tech" and then find out how many Vipers they normally service. The more they service the better but when you get parts or need parts or accessories, call CHUCK TATOR, he always beats any price. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR VEHICLE oh and yes:

:needpics:

OP
OP
C

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:p I was waiting for this gif. I tried uploading, but it appears the site is still undergoing some rennovation. I will attempt to upload a picture this evening using an alternate host.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For storage I would recommend pulling the IOD (I think that is what it is called) fuse from the fuse box. This will stop the drain from the clock radio and other interior electronic (this is what I was told from my Viper tech).

Congrats on the purchase!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:p I was waiting for this gif. I tried uploading, but it appears the site is still undergoing some rennovation. I will attempt to upload a picture this evening using an alternate host.

haha. Yeah if you need any help, send them to me and I will upload them. How many miles on the car by the way?

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if it's you or not, but i was on my way to the Kentlands in my Red with White stripes Viper and saw what possibly might be a Sapphire GTS (could've been a Black with Silver stripes) on Key West Rd and then on Great Seneca HWY. As i was making a left into the Kentlands, i saw that (your) car drove by with the paper tag, so it might be safe guess that it's you (?). if so, beautiful car! As a side note, i recently had my car inspected at Fizgerald Dodge in Rockville.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pedal positioning threw me for a while at first also, I came from a Z06 with "normal" pedals. I used to clip the brake now and then when depressing the clutch, causing the cute bucking motion that makes you look like a tool....but you get used to them.

OP
OP
C

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it's you or not, but i was on my way to the Kentlands in my Red with White stripes Viper and saw what possibly might be a Sapphire GTS (could've been a Black with Silver stripes) on Key West Rd and then on Great Seneca HWY. As i was making a left into the Kentlands, i saw that (your) car drove by with the paper tag, so it might be safe guess that it's you (?). if so, beautiful car! As a side note, i recently had my car inspected at Fizgerald Dodge in Rockville.

:cool: I was wondering if that was someone on this board. Yes, that was me trying to enjoy the last few warm days we will have this year. I had the car inspected that morning at Montrose Dodge. Very nice Viper tech there who passed me with flying colors.

Are you planning on going to the VCA event at Jimmie Cone this weekend? If you are, PM or email me and maybe we can cruise down together. I'm trying to clear my schedule to attend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas