Any advantage or pluses for pilot sports vs. ps2?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have Michelin pilot sports on a 99 GTS. Are the PS 2's any different, better, or the same as far as traction etc. I wanted some input before I order from Luke at Tire Rack. Thanks.:drive:

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your PS are the stock tire off your 99 then you are going to notice a huge difference in just having fresh 'soft' rubber. I replaced my PS with the PS2"S and the only con is I don't like the tread pattern as much but other than that the PS2 wins hands down on traction and quality of ride. I'm running a SC with 3:55 gear and can push the car through every gear and not have to fear loosing it like I did with stock pilots and a stock motor.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your PS are the stock tire off your 99 then you are going to notice a huge difference in just having fresh 'soft' rubber. I replaced my PS with the PS2"S and the only con is I don't like the tread pattern as much but other than that the PS2 wins hands down on traction and quality of ride. I'm running a SC with 3:55 gear and can push the car through every gear and not have to fear loosing it like I did with stock pilots and a stock motor.
The 19 inch PS I have now only have 1200 miles but are 3-4 years old. Just wanted to get the latest and best tire out there for street and track use. I agree on the tread pattern but thats not real important to me. Thanks for the traction info.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with Luke at the Rack today and he said the PS 2 is a much better tire or at least improved. He also said to look at the DOT posted on the side wall to check the date of manuf. and if more than 6 years old---replace--. $1750.00 delivered to door.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too do not like the PS2 tread pattern, but tires are about function, not form. when I replace my almost brand new PSs I will use PS2s

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine just came in today. I will mount them up in the next day or 2 and get back w/ my opinion. 1200 miles on a 3-4 year old tire? ....drive your car! haha.

D

DAMN YANKEE

I just purchased new PS2s, whereas it is true that these are the first fresh tires have a car in seven years and, as such, traction is remarkable, I do not remember the traction ever being this good.
To my mind, there may be no comparison between the new and the old. You wont be disappointed.