Any head unit install gurus??

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new head unit. The stock one has never functioned well. If i put try to take a CD out, it will still think one is in there and won't let me put in another. It will eventually reset after hours or days but time for a new one. I'm not sure what the install is like. I dont plan to do speakers or a new amp, just want to swap out head units. If anyone who has done it before is interested in helping, i'd be very appreciative. Let me know

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should reach out to Bryon Mueller, he actually lives in Fredericksburg now. He may be willing to install it for you.

I have been researching this subject a little, my main issue is I don't want to hack in to the wire harness and install a new radio. No one has an alpine adapter that will prevent you have having to cut into it.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The console around the radio popped off easier than I expected. New head unit arrived today so I will look at trying to install it tonight. Bryon is a good guy, I keep forgetting he lives right here. Thanks John

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're not changing the amp you're going to need a DIN adapter for an aftermarket unit. Do a search. It's been discussed before.

You're better off changing the amp along with the head unit. It makes things a lot easier and sounds better too.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're not changing the amp you're going to need a DIN adapter for an aftermarket unit. Do a search. It's been discussed before.

You're better off changing the amp along with the head unit. It makes things a lot easier and sounds better too.

Second that. I just finished installing new amp/head unit/speakers. I couldn't find a wiring harness for the stock radio plug anywhere--you're just going to have to cut into the wires.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why does changing the AMP make thing easier??

Vman, so you cut off the plug and the DIN cable and attached all the wires individually?

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you change the amp, you don't have to worry about splicing into the DIN cable or finding an adapter. Hook up the speakers to the new amp outputs, run RCAs to the head unit, power and ground and you're done. I mounted the new amp on the shelf behind the seats, dropped a power cable through the trunk (there's already a hole in the floor just above the battery), grounded it behind the parking brake lever, and ran some short RCAs under the center console armrest. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so it's in. Not the prettiest thing in the world BUT does anyone know which fuse is for the 2 reading lights, I think I blew a fuse, the same fuse that powers the radio because that and the 2 reading lights are not turning on.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And I'm an idiot....forgot they are labeled on the fuse box cover! Will post some pictures tomorrow once I pick up some fuses.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you kept the stock amplifier, it sounds like? I finally got around to taking some pictures of my setup. Amp is a JVC Arsenal 800W, sitting just behind the seats.

You must be registered for see images attach

I ran the RCA cables and remote turn-on lead under the center console, ground to the stud behind the parking brake, speaker and power wires under various trim panels.

Head unit is a JVC Arsenal KD-AHD39 with built-in HD radio and Ipod control (adapter is run to the glove box).

It really looks better at night, when it matches the red LED dash lighting.

Speakers are Kicker KS60.2 components up front, CompVT 6.5" subwoofers in the rear (but I'm going to replace these with a single 10" or 12" this spring).

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice. I kept the stock AMP and speakers. I have a hearing loss already so impressive sound systems aren't really worth the money for me. Basically, my stock CD player just wasnt working right and as cheap as the flip out DVD players have become, I figured i'd just get one of those. About to run out and get some new fuses, if this fixes it, I will be proud of myself for the install haha. Pictures to come soon. The player is deeper than the stock unit so it does stick out quite a bit but with the screen open, i don't think it will look too bad. If it was just a CD player sticking out that far, it would definitely look out of place. Appreciate all the help

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pictures! Replaced the 7.5A Radio Fuse and the 20A Dome/Radio/Wipers fuse and all is well. It was a very tight fit but everything appears to be working great. Tested a CD, DVD and the NAVI looks to be working but it's wet out so I can't test that out truely until later.

You must be registered for see images

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job. I just did a Clarion in dash and it works good. Tried to use the ipod connector and that part is not working. Its a temporary fix but better then factory and for what I paid for it well worth it.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya. This has the option for bluetooth and ipod i think but I dont' really use either one. It does have a 20Gig hard drive built in so I can upload a bunch of MP3's and I wont even need an IPOD! I did read somewhere that Bestbuy and Crutchfield wouldn't install this unit in a viper because they say it is too big. It definitely took some elbow grease to get it in there how I wanted but everything is working so i'm happy. For all those who worry about splicing wires, it is much much easier than it sounds. I cut off the factory harness and spliced and connected wires and then taped with electrical tape and then retaped bundles to prevent excess movement. Bought a female DIN plug for about $2 and attached wires to the base (very tight attachments. Taped very carefully to prevent any contact with other wires) and then just plugged right in to the factory DIN plug so I could re use the stock AMP and speakers.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John, it wasn't a premade adapter. I googled 8-pin DIN female and bought one of the chassis mounts. 8 Pin Din Female Chassis Mount - VETCO.NET

While you are connecting the wires to the above part, reference the diagram on the back of the stock head unit to make sure you are connecting to the right pins. Once you have that part, you just spice the appropriate wires from the new head unit, slide them through the slots and bend the wire back and then use electrical tape to tape them into place, being cautious to cover all the actual wire so that the wires don't touch (very tight fit). Special issues are: my Eclipse unit had a wire marked "Control B+" which goes to the RMT node on the DIN. All the other wires match up except the speaker grounds. The stock unit had a common ground for front speakers and a common ground for rear. After market has one for front left, one for front right, one for rear left, one for rear right. Due to the tiny slots on the 8 pin DIN female, I connected one of the fronts to the other front near the base of the spliced wire and then slid the top of the exposed wire through the slot. Ditto for the rear. Then taped all the wires together so that they wouldn't not have much movement and plugged straight into stock DIN.

For the other plastic connector, I cut that off at the plastic connector. NOTE: Before cutting that off, write down what each wire is based on the sticker on the stock head unit. Unless you are going to install another stock head unit, that connector is worthless IMO. Alot of people have a problem or worry about cutting this off. Once you cut off the connector the wiring is pretty straight forward. All the aftermarket wires are labled and you have the diagram you just made with what the stock wires are. Then it's a simple matter of splicing, connecting and taping. NOTE: If you do not disconnect your battery, you will blow the fuses that power the radio (dome, winshield washers). Nothing else bad will happen.

Final NOTE: If you want a very clean, neat setup, this head unit is probably not for you. I do not even have it screwed in on the inside of the dash because the brackets (even stock ones) will not slide back far enough for it to be screwed into the stock holes. It is hard to tell from the pictures also, but the unit sits at a slight angle, aimed toward the driver (which is awesome actually) but that angle and the width of the unit prevents it from moving anywhere. But the unit doesn't move even a tiny bit. I have driven it a few times since and gotten on the throttle pretty good and it doesn't budge.

DublinOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I purchased a female din plug and wired it to my new head unit. I've bench tested each of the speaker connections, so I know they are OK. I am not getting any sound. I have the new head unit hooked up to a battery for now. Still have to splice into the white connector. It seems to me like the amp is not getting power? Other than the "remote" line going to it, is there anything else I should look at?

BTW - I plugged the stock radio back in and everything works fine....

Last edited: