Any low mileage (~10k) SRT's out there for $33-35k?

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking for some time now and the best I've found thus far is a 6k mile red 03 for $38k firm... I was quite interested in the deal until I got a dealer buddy of mine to get on Manheim and lookup prices.

We found the average price going on similar SRT's with low mileage to be in the $33-35k range, which really caught my attention. So here I am again, still on the hunt. Seems most people on eBay keep there reserve set too high (not that the car's not worth it, but rather the market isn't dictating the price to be such).

I'd prefer silver or red but wouldn't turn down black.

Also, just FYI, we looked up 06 coupes around 15k miles and the average price is about $45 for avg. and above cars... I found a black one right at 45k w/ 13k miles and would love to get into it but I'd feel much more comfortable with paying around $33-35k right now...

Man, am I ready to just be done with the buying process and just buy one. But I'm the type of person where I have to be sure I'm getting the BEST deal on something when I get it, especially a purchase of this magnitude. Even if it means waiting, what seems like forever, to get it.

Thanks,

-Kyle

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you ever seen some of the Vipers at the sale? They are rough... really rough..Just keep that in mind. I think some believe manheim is this place where super nice cars change hands for pennies.. It ain't... it is where problem cars are (sometimes) unloaded for pennies..paintwork and/or accident repair, and ALWAYS in need of reconditioning..

All that said, you SHOULD be able to get one heck of a deal on a 2003 right now.. middle-middle/upper $30's.. Low $30's will be cars that need work..

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Boy, is Taximan on the money. We love these cars ( we don't buy auction Snakes ), because when they come in for service they need lots and lots of work. An average Viper to most Snakecharmers is well below what they would accept.

An auction is just that, and cars are there for a reason ---- nuff said.

Last edited:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to have to agree with Bill here. You sound like you want a NICE example when you do get a Viper. Well, one from a private owner with good care is going to be twice the car of the auction "pieces". Not to mention the fact that you will have a history from the owner. The auction car would be a big void of unknowns......

Sounds to me like the red one you described is one to consider.

Just my 2 cents

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you found a car that you REALLY like with 6k miles, and it's in awesome shape for $38k.. I honestly don't think your overpaying by that much.. If any.. the market is bad, but its not THAT bad..

If anyone can find an all original paint, 6k mile, 2003 SRT for low $30's.... Tell me where, and how many of them are for sale at that price :)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Darren Buhler (732)544-5515 as they have an ultra low mileage Red 2003 for sale .You not going to get it for low 30s as the car is near new.

Reaction score
Boy, is Taximan on the money. We love these cars ( we don't buy em ) because when they come in for service they need lots and lots of work. An average Viper to most Snakecharmers is well below what they would accept.

An auction is just that, and cars are there for a reason ---- nuff said.

I agree 100%. If I'm buying a used Viper, I'd prefer to know who owned it and buying from a fellow VCA member would be a huge plus.

Buying one from auction to save a couple bucks, wow, sorry, never.

Buying one from one of our VCA dealers or a fellow member makes a lot more sense than taking a shot at auction at any price.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some SWeeeet Vipers here in the classifieds, and several of our site supporters/dealers who are known to have the absolute best snakes you can find.

I agree with what someone said already, there's a REASON that car is at an auction. It's like the 'reject' pile, once in a great while you find a gem but it's rare.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Darren Buhler (732)544-5515 as they have an ultra low mileage Red 2003 for sale .You not going to get it for low 30s as the car is near new.

I bought a 7,000 mile red 03 from Buhler last April for 38,500. I was there looking at two 06 slate cars for more money but the 03 they had was perfect and brand new so I took it. Thrilled I bought the right car.

Good luck!

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

OP
OP
D

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I realize the risk involved and can understand paying a "premium" for a vehicle that one could know the history.

However, that pricing is fairly indicative of where the market is at, mileage included. Even say we put a premium on a car that the history is known, which even then, doesn't guarantee a lack of problems, of $1-2k. We still are at around mid-30's.

Ultimately, what I think a "good" deal is, is $33k-35 with $35k-$40k the normal, about average deal today.

What I'm trying to say is, I'll wait until the right car comes around for $33-35k, especially with winter coming up and the prices of sports cars (namely convertible ones) are a little less, so if anyone knows of any out there, my appreciation would be for you!

Thanks guys,

-Kyle

OP
OP
D

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 7,000 mile red 03 from Buhler last April for 38,500. I was there looking at two 06 slate cars for more money but the 03 they had was perfect and brand new so I took it. Thrilled I bought the right car.

Good luck!

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

As in April of 08 or 09?

Reaction score
The people buying the auction cars are what? Mostly the salvage guys looking to part them out not rebuild them. You won't have a warranty either and when something does go wrong you will really feel the hit (there is no such thing as a Viper nickel and diming you, it's C&G notes here brother). Then look back and wonder what the premium car would have been worth in the long run. Even the paint and care of these cars if not wrecked is terrible compared to the owners on this board, and do you really just want a "cheap" Viper or one to love? I guess that this is the question that determines what "you" expect from the purchase. I can see Mustang buyers using this logic but not Viper owners. Of course ALL of this is just MHO.

Good luck either way,

OP
OP
D

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The people buying the auction cars are what? Mostly the salvage guys looking to part them out not rebuild them. You won't have a warranty either and when something does go wrong you will really feel the hit (there is no such thing as a Viper nickel and diming you, it's C&G notes here brother). Then look back and wonder what the premium car would have been worth in the long run. Even the paint and care of these cars if not wrecked is terrible compared to the owners on this board, and do you really just want a "cheap" Viper or one to love? I guess that this is the question that determines what "you" expect from the purchase. I can see Mustang buyers using this logic but not Viper owners. Of course ALL of this is just MHO.

Good luck either way,

I don't think the people buying the cars at $33k-35k on manheim are parting the cars out. The cars I speak of are low mileage, clean title cars, that dealers are typically getting rid of on the cheap, since in a market like this, there aren't many people around buying high $30k used cars...

It's hard to believe that just because a car isn't a VCA members car, it isn't gonna be just as clean or cared for... I understand that it could be a dud, however, cars at manheim are allowed to be inspected both visually and mechanically, making it just as susceptible to problems as any other car sold on here or anywhere for that matter.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers on here, or stir up anything. All I'm saying is there are deals to be had on a clean low mileage SRT below $35k, if anyone knows of any out there, in anywhere in the US, please let me know and I would be extremely appreciative.

V

Venomiss

I don't think the people buying the cars at $33k-35k on manheim are parting the cars out. The cars I speak of are low mileage, clean title cars, that dealers are typically getting rid of on the cheap, since in a market like this, there aren't many people around buying high $30k used cars...

It's hard to believe that just because a car isn't a VCA members car, it isn't gonna be just as clean or cared for... I understand that it could be a dud, however, cars at manheim are allowed to be inspected both visually and mechanically, making it just as susceptible to problems as any other car sold on here or anywhere for that matter.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers on here, or stir up anything. All I'm saying is there are deals to be had on a clean low mileage SRT below $35k, if anyone knows of any out there, in anywhere in the US, please let me know and I would be extremely appreciative.

I just have one question. Are you buying this car to keep or to flip?

OP
OP
D

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just have one question. Are you buying this car to keep or to flip?

Keep but not forever. I would certainly be looking at 08's in probably 2 years. Just need something that I'll get good value out of and since I'm not in a huge hurry, I can wait for a good deal.

Don't get me wrong, just because everything seems money driven, this car is my dream car and will be my first Viper. I am excited as anything for that, but need to be sure I keep my decision to purchase my dream car in line with my financial decisions...

OP
OP
D

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100%. If I'm buying a used Viper, I'd prefer to know who owned it and buying from a fellow VCA member would be a huge plus.

Buying one from auction to save a couple bucks, wow, sorry, never.

Buying one from one of our VCA dealers or a fellow member makes a lot more sense than taking a shot at auction at any price.

BTW, who do you sell homes for? General real estate or a builder? Reason I ask, I sell homes for Ryland Homes, here in San Antonio...

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As in April of 08 or 09?

09'

There were a few cars out there with miles on them for mid 30's but they were either on Ebay or somewhere that I could not visually inspect the car. I am super picky and thus the reason I passed on the two 06 slate cars at Buhler that day.

Best of luck to you I hope you find what your looking for. You stated that these cars are out there, and at the same time you are asking if any of us know any cars for sale in your range.

I do think you will find a car or two with low miles coming into winter or maybe in the middle of it, maybe find someone that needs to dump it.

Andy:2tu:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you selling your Viper ? what year(s) do you have?
Nothing now though(hopefully j Houss and i can make a deal soon ) my next will be my 5th Viper dating back to 1993.Site sponser Buhler and i are fairly good friends lets say.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm guessing most of the cars bought at auction are going to be resold somewhere else right???
If thats the case, then do the math they need to make money or they wouldnt have bought the car in the first place.
If they are not dealers reselling the cars then never mind my above post....lol.

Also you could end up dying in the mean time waiting to save a few thousand on a car.....
Get off some of your cash and go buy the red one for 38.....Your right eventually the right one may come around for 33-35K like you wish but it might be a year or so??? You want to wait.

Also what does it cost to buy the car at the auction?? Certain %? if so better factor that in.

There is always going to be a better deal then what you end up buying, Its just a fact.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda wondering why you don't just have your dealer buddy buy you something from the auction?

Auction prices are wholesale. Most individuals sell their Vipers private to private at retail, or wholesale price them to dealers.

You are not alone to want to buy a car at wholesale.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems to me dsg is going about it the wrong way
i.e. waiting for the car he wants to be in his price range, as opposed to finding the best quality car available.

in the end he will buy a car, but it won't be the best quality car, just one that meets the $ criteria, and in the end he will buy the wrong car IMHO

but hey, good luck

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You plan on exploring 08's in 2 years? I hope you're not expecting to find one of those in the low 30's in 2 years. My guess is they will still be at least ~$50k for higher mileage or less desirable color.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cheapest one I have seen was $32.5K for an 03 Convertible with dealer installed Paxton with 91000 KM. Almost bought it, but got outran. I was sick in my stomach for two weeks after that.
I have a good experience for the past two years with my 94 Viper, which was at that time the cheapest one available in Canada and US (retail). So sometimes cheap comes good, but you got to be careful.

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a pretty depressing thread.. I can't believe you guys are arguing wheather my $90K car is worth $33K or $34.5K... shheeesh.. I paid $90Gs The bottom price is always always a few months out.. If I waited for the absolutely best possible price for my 03.. I'd still be waiting

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The O.P. is looking to buy a Retail quality Viper, for low wholesale pricing.. it's not going to happen...